Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Can I extend my 30 day entry by a few days and were do I go?

I'm in Bangkok Sukumvit Soi 11

Thanks

I'm assuming you have a 30-day Tourist Visa Waiver. Technically, it can't be extended, but you can get permission to stay an additional 7 days in Thailand. You can apply for visa extensions at the Immigration Office on Soi 7 off Chaeng Watana Road from Monday to Friday, http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/location1.html. The cost is 1,900 baht. Or you can pay a visa agency an extra 500 baht or so to do it for you.

But there are other ways to handle the situation. If it's only only a matter of one or two days, you just go to the airport and hope the Immigration officer can't be bothered. I've done that four times and have never been asked to pay the overstay penalty. But you can't count on that happening. In the worst case, you could be asked to pay 500 baht per overstay day. According to the lady at First Class Visas on Soi 6, it's normal practice to give a 24-hour grace period for overstays, so the penalty is payable from the second day.

But if you plan on staying three to seven extra days, then it's best to get the extension at the BKK Immigration office or jump on one of the runs to the Cambodian border.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I have scheduled trips to need the extra day twice. First time was by accident the second time because the flight was $200 less. Both times they saw that I was over 1 day and sent me to a small table. Quick stamp and on my way. First day is free (be sure and count the arrival day as 1 even if you cleared customs at 11:30 PM). On the second day you pay for every day (including the first "free day") you are over.

All well and good... but there is always that very very slight chance and worry, that when you check in for your outward (to BKK) flight, and they see that your return is scheduled beyond the 30 days, and no visa is present in your passport, will they let you board??????

All well and good... but there is always that very very slight chance and worry, that when you check in for your outward (to BKK) flight, and they see that your return is scheduled beyond the 30 days, and no visa is present in your passport, will they let you board??????

I would say more than slight chance, at least with Korean Air. Last year, a very apologetic young lady at check in was quite concerned until I pointed out my visa. This trip, the agent found the visa on her own and appeared to be entering information from it in the computer.

jacko, on 19 Mar 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

I was questioned about this at a LHR check in and was given the okay once she had checked with her supervisor.

The return ticket was valid for six months and I was allowed to change the return date once, free of charge. Not knowing when I'd be returning, I initially booked the return flight for six months after departure. I ended up throwing the return ticket away because I stayed longer than six months.

Has Chaeng Wattana reopened?

It closed in January per protestors blocking Chaeng Wattana Rd. and as of a week ago it was still closed as were many of the government offices in the complex. There was talk on thaivisa.com that it might reopen this week, but I've seen no announcement of that.

This are two temporary immigration offices open in Bangkok:

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html

-redwood