Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

How long did your apartment hunt take?

I know some places are slower than others when it comes to renting an apartment. Is Pattaya one of those places when you can find and move into an apartment in 1-2 days, or does it take much longer?

depends on where you,look. Some areas, such as the streets runnung of soi buakaow, have dozens of places for rent and you would have no problem finding a place very quickly.

Wow! I wonder what a studio apartment that goes for 2,000-3,000 baht/month looks like. I've never heard of a room for farang that cheap in Pattaya. In which part of town could you find such a room?

It's extremely easy to find an apartment in Pattaya; it won't take more than an afternoon. But 2,000-3,000 baht/month is the bottom end of the bottom end of the market.

Evil

:devil

2k - 3k / month rooms are what beer bar girls stay in (admittedly, shared by several girls all sleeping in a shared bed). These type of "luxury" accommodations that I've seen also shared a single bathroom with other rooms (i.e., not ensuite). Said bathroom also featured a squat toilet. I'm guessing you're not familiar with that kind of toilet.

I'm not being a smartass, but you need to carefully re-examine your budget because it doesn't sound as though you can afford Thailand.

What is the total amount you can spend?

How long do you plan on being in Thailand?

Also, keep in mind that you'll need to initially stay in hotel until you find less expensive accommodation

1) Forget about gogo bars - they're way beyond your budget

2) Forget about doing daytime tourist stuff (especially with your love-du-jour in tow) such as, Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, the several zoos, go kart tracks, etc

3) I guess you'll be limited to freelancers (no lady drinks or barfines)

Edited by sabaidii2

2k - 3k / month rooms are what beer bar girls stay in (admittedly, shared by several girls all sleeping in a shared bed). These type of "luxury" accommodations that I've seen also shared a single bathroom with other rooms (i.e., not ensuite). Said bathroom also featured a squat toilet. I'm guessing you're not familiar with that kind of toilet.

1) Forget about gogo bars - they're way beyond your budget

2) Forget about doing daytime tourist stuff (especially with your love-du-jour in tow) such as, Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, the several zoos, go kart tracks, etc

3) I guess you'll be limited to freelancers (no lady drinks or barfines)

I think you're assuming too much here.

He doesn't say how much he has to spend on everything..in fact, I think he said he'd rather spend a little on a room and have more to spend elsewhere. For all we know, he might have 10K/day to spend but consider "decent" lodgings unimportant.

I think we should stick to the topic of cheap lodgings rather than going into all that other stuff you mentioned until it becomes an issue.

Now, to the OP, I believe I already said that your amounts are equivalent to, or just slightly lower than, any place I have spoken to bar girls about their rent. I can't recall any of them recently mentioning rent as low as 3000 baht, though I did recently discuss a place for 3200 baht.

You're best off asking a BG or a moto-taxi driver, because most foreigners wouldn't stay in such accommodations.

Good luck.

I know some places are slower than others when it comes to renting an apartment. Is Pattaya one of those places when you can find and move into an apartment in 1-2 days, or does it take much longer?

I've been in a few bar girls, FLs (disco and coconut bar) and massage girl's rooms who paid 3,500 baht per month off/on Soi Buakow, Soi Excyte, S. Pattaya Road, 2nd Road and Jomtien with ensuite bathrooms and some who paid much less off Soi 7 Beach and near Hollywood disco w shared washing facilities. Some share their rooms, some do not. Most indicate they do not need nor want AC (5k baht per month) nor a nicer room whether they could afford it or not. Plus doing regular LTs means they only use their rooms for storage or eating som tam in the afternoons and early evenings :).

In regards to the OPs original question about how quickly he can move-in, often these rooms or the better ones in this price range are only available for a few days before someone rents them. Often they are not advertised, but by word of mouth or periodic door-to-door inquiries. Please also note a Farang may be quoted a different price than a Thai female. There are also some that only allow Thai ladies to enter to reduce problems with Thai boyfriends.

Enjoy your experiences.

P.s. Electric and water rates are often negotiated.

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 1

3000 baht a month, plus utilities, is actually quite doable and should get a decent room. I know of many girls in the Soi Buakhow/Pattaya Tai area who pay that much. Farangs too - I have talked to a few who pay 4000 - 6000 baht a month. 6000 baht will actually get you a room with aircon, but that is beyond the OP's budget.

For myself, I admire this kind of initiative. Stay cheaply, but get to see distant lands. Why not? Everyone's comfort level and expectation is different - why apply our's to someone?

• Upvote 2

This is a fucking wind up here , no falang will rent a 3000 b / month room full of cockroaches no aircon and no hot water , it just isn't done .

The cheapest half decent place you will find is around 8000 b / month and that would be very basic to say the least......!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Nightrider are you by any chance trying rent out real estate? I have difficulties to think of another reason (which could be posted within the rules of the forum) for posting such a blatantly false statement.

Fact is that there are plenty of rooms with aircon on a monthly basis around 5K and below. There are no more or less roaches in such buildings than in higher priced ones (never saw one), and, yes, the shower was as hot as anywhere else. They are not broadly advertized as the owners probably dont see any need for it. It is correct that chances are that you might have Thai neighbors. The fact would indicate that you are not overcharged like other people who might share the views of nightrider or follow his useless comment.

A further plus, I m pretty confident that the farangs in such a building are not of the kind who try to decree how much we have to spent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On the dark side, there are quite a few guesthouse and small apartments available for 3,000 baht per month. Transportation is a problem and I wouldn't consider living in such a poor location. The added cost of transportation would quickly eat up any savings.

Nightrider are you by any chance trying rent out real estate? I have difficulties to think of another reason (which could be posted within the rules of the forum) for posting such a blatantly false statement.

Fact is that there are plenty of rooms with aircon on a monthly basis around 5K and below. There are no more or less roaches in such buildings than in higher priced ones (never saw one), and, yes, the shower was as hot as anywhere else. They are not broadly advertized as the owners probably dont see any need for it. It is correct that chances are that you might have Thai neighbors. The fact would indicate that you are not overcharged like other people who might share the views of nightrider or follow his useless comment.

A further plus, I m pretty confident that the farangs in such a building are not of the kind who try to decree how much we have to spent.

If you and others are happy to stay in a 3 - 5000 b / a month room then good luck to you , just dont come on here shouting about it until you have made a lot more contributions to this board , as far as i know you could be a fucking troll that's just made its 2nd post.......!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You see, it takes just a second post to tell you what is needed.... By the way, the internet is not reality. It does not necessarily reflect the experience and knowledge of people as you have demonstrated so vividly.

I take note that you stepped back from your false statement and confirmed that people are pleased with spending less than you deem appropriate. Therefore things are not done in Pattaya as you pontificate. Good places are available for less than 8K.

By the way, 1263 posts and not having time to work on your language? Pretty miserable

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You see, it takes just a second post to tell you what is needed.... By the way, the internet is not reality. It does not necessarily reflect the experience and knowledge of people as you have demonstrated so vividly.

I take note that you stepped back from your false statement and confirmed that people are pleased with spending less than you deem appropriate. Therefore things are not done in Pattaya as you pontificate. Good places are available for less than 8K.

By the way, 1263 posts and not having time to work on your language? Pretty miserable

:finger

• Upvote 1

The best way to find a cheeper apartment would be to make friends with a few bar girls and ask them. I did that once and had more suggestions than I knew what to do with. Some of the girls who have been around a while know all the good deals. Whether it's apartments or food, they know where to look.

I remember one time I was staying in a guesthouse and some bar girl came over. She asked me what I was paying (I think I was paying around 15,000 baht a month) and when I told her she said her apt was similar, but only cost 5000 baht a month.

Anyway, just drop into a place like TQ some day, and buy a few girls a few drinks. I'm sure they could steer you in the right direction.

My own experience in February looking for an apartment was that high season is a bad time to go looking. Alot of places were full although if you wait a couple of months they have plenty of rooms and apartments available...it's very seasonal. Get your foot in the door during low season and rent long term and you will be offered a much better rate.

I was a bit lucky someone was checking out while I was there making enquiries so went to see the studio and moved in the next day

5000 baht seems to be the going rate for a decent budget room and about 13000 for a nice studio apartment plus 2k for bills

Of course if you want to stay at VT 6 You will pay a heavy price for the privilege

• Upvote 1

Having spent 2 months in a VT1 studio. I couldn't recommend it for a longterm expat. Although the actual buldiing was fine for me and the studio was recently refurbished but the nightmare of crossing that road everyday just to catch a baht bus or walk to the beach would try my patience let alone risking life and limb.

The view was pretty shite too even from the 9 th floor and the balcony was too small to enjoy anytime on it apart from standing there getting a sick stomach looking at the drop. I think a one bed is definitely a better option although I didn't get to inspect one. I like the idea of some more space.