Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

My wife wants to buy her Niece (in Thailand) an ipad. (or similar).

With the more favourable exchange rate at the moment, just looking for some quick advice before we fly out.

Would it be of any benefit to buy here in UK or buy one from Tukom in Pattaya?

Any advice welcome

Hi Greg, I bought an I-pad in December of last year in Thailand. No brainier price wise really.

I went for the 32GB wi-fi only model £479.00 in UK Apple stores. I paid 20,400/ 52/£ (at the time)= £392 so a saving of £87, exchange rate slightly better now as well. Went for the wi-fi only model as you can get online nearly any place these days, didn't see the extra price for the SIM card version as being worth it.

Good purchase well pleased with it, so much easier to carry around when travelling.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam

I also bought mine in Thailand, in an Apple shop in Fortune Plaza BKK.

One advantage of buying the 3G version is that you can use the Map function as GPS while travelling. I travel around a lot, driving my own car. Having a GPS makes life so much easier....

The other thing, in Thailand now, most WiFi in hotels is free. In some Western countries, the hotels charge like a wounded bull for use of WiFi.

I also like the idea of sitting on a remote beach, picking up my mail or chatting with my teelack. The Photo function allows me to take a pic anywhere and instantly send it, sometimes very handy....

• Upvote 1

I bought an ipad2 in australia wifi only and it was almost $400. I would not recommend one, the camera is shit, less than 1megapixel and no flash so photos in low light are terrible. my friends ipad is much better around 5mg I think. also I find ipad is restrictive on what u can download apple seem to be controlling download content. they are easy and convenient to ise but most tablets are the same.

I bought my GF an Android tablet for around 3000 baht and she loves it. no problems downloading, she also has wifi only. whatever u buy make sure you can add memory to it as with games and photos they will run out of space.

Fireman Sam, on 06 Apr 2014 - 9:43 PM, said:

Hi Greg, I bought an I-pad in December of last year in Thailand. No brainier price wise really.

I went for the 32GB wi-fi only model £479.00 in UK Apple stores. I paid 20,400/ 52/£ (at the time)= £392 so a saving of £87, exchange rate slightly better now as well. Went for the wi-fi only model as you can get online nearly any place these days, didn't see the extra price for the SIM card version as being worth it.

Good purchase well pleased with it, so much easier to carry around when travelling.

Regards

Did you claim the VAT back at the airport?

• Upvote 1

Electronics are generally more expensive in Thailand. I bought an iPad at an Apple store in Bangkok in 2011 and paid more than if I was in the USA. When I recently purchased a Google Nexus tablet, I found the best deal was buying on Amazon and paying shipping and duty to Thailand rather than buying it here.

Did you claim the VAT back at the airport?

No I didn't, I was aware of the possibility of getting the 7% back as well.

I initially ordered it from the Thai online Apple Store, but for some obscure reason my credit card was declined this particular time, so I purchased it at an Apple re-seller in Sakon Nakhon, I asked about the form (forget the name of the form now) for claiming back the VAT but was meet with even more blank stares, not too many tourist buying Apple stuff in Sakon Nakhon so I decided to call it quits and be happy with my saving of £87.00.

I would have mentioned it but the OP states it's for his niece in Thailand so I presumed that the i-pad would not be leaving Thailand.

Regards

Electronics are generally more expensive in Thailand. I bought an iPad at an Apple store in Bangkok in 2011 and paid more than if I was in the USA. When I recently purchased a Google Nexus tablet, I found the best deal was buying on Amazon and paying shipping and duty to Thailand rather than buying it here.

Thailand is maybe more expensive than in the USA, but in this case definitely cheaper than buying in the UK, where I presumed the OP is from looking at his profile location.

Regards

Edited by Fireman Sam

I bought an Apple Macbook Pro at New Year from the Apple reseller shop in Central Festival and it was about 300 quid cheaper than if I bought it in the UK, including the tax back at the airport.

KM

keyman, on 07 Apr 2014 - 5:38 PM, said:

I bought an Apple Macbook Pro at New Year from the Apple reseller shop in Central Festival and it was about 300 quid cheaper than if I bought it in the UK, including the tax back at the airport.

KM

How much did Her Majesty's Customs hit you up for?

Thanks all for speedy replies and advice.

Yes - We live in UK, but visit Thailand every year, see wife's family etc.

Surprised to hear how much Fireman Sam and Keyman saved against UK price, thought prices were about same last year.

Is Tukom any better/worse than Apple shop?

Looks like I'm better-off buying in Thailand!

Are we talking ipad Air or ipad 4 here?

Best Prices in UK from reputable sellers today [new] seem to be around........

Google Nexus 10 16GB = £240

ipad 4 16GB = £330

ipad Air 16GB = £360

Any Thoughts??

I can go round to TESCO now and get an ipad 4 16GB Wi-Fi only for £329-00

What shall I do?

We Fly on Friday!!

Edited by gregUK

Than the USA!

Particularly in a State with 0 sales tax.

In Thailand that would be 7%, discussion of raising it to 10% was made recently but it was decided it was not the time, but it will come.

In the UK, VAT is a whopping 20%, as it is in many European countries, 25% around Scandinavia and 23% I think in R.I. (Ireland not Rhode Island)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Thailand - Found prices were more expensive than UK

Samsung is very popular.

Anybody going out there soon, please note.....

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" version (8 inch version) currently on sale in UK at PC World £159.00 (around Bht 8,500)

For sale in Pattaya and Udon Thani at Bht 13,000

However, No Thai Menu (language settings)

I had one re-flashed in Udon for Bht 400 to Asia spec. English / Thai etc. and works perfectly, same Android spec.

Bought a Thai charger for Bht 200

No problem getting a screen protector (expertly fitted for free by vendor) or "wallet" to fit

• 2 weeks later...

They are selling Ipads in duty free and BKK airport, didn't spot the price but maybe someone on the way out can post - not sure if you can get to duty free on the way in though ?