Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Non 'O' Visas in the UK

Hi,

Just a quick update for the above subject. As from the beginning of this year the Thai consulates around the UK are no longer issuing non 'o' visas, just thought I would post my experience of applying directly to the Thai Embassy in London.

A link to the Thai Embassy website stating that the consulates in the UK are no longer issuing non 'o' visas.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

I am in the UK at present, last Monday the 7th April I posted off my application, I followed their instructions on the website. I submitted my original marriage certificate, a copy of a certified English translation, a copy of the wife's Thai ID card and obviously the required fee. I did not submit any financial documentation at all. This Friday the 11th April I received my passport back with my new non 'o' visa stuck in it. So all in, a pretty painless and relatively quick process 5 days total time taken.

I had heard all sorts of stories about various financial documentation being asked for, but my experience was it was neither asked for or required. Hope this helps to clear up the situation in the UK at present anyway.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Yes your right...

As from the beginning of this year the Thai consulates around the UK are no longer issuing non 'o' visas to people that are not married to a thai or don't have thai family.

before the changes they was handing them out to anyone.

Hi FS

Just a quick question, is your marriage certificate in thai & then you got a certified translation to english.

If so where did you have the translation done.

Cheers

Mark

Hi FS

Just a quick question, is your marriage certificate in thai & then you got a certified translation to english.

If so where did you have the translation done.

Cheers

Mark

Hi, yes my original marriage certificate is in Thai. I got a certified translation done by the Thai Consulate in Hull UK. Sorry can't remember the cost exactly but not too expensive. Done around five years ago or so.

Regards

Yes your right...

As from the beginning of this year the Thai consulates around the UK are no longer issuing non 'o' visas to people that are not married to a thai or don't have thai family.

before the changes they was handing them out to anyone.

Even if you are married to a Thai the consulates are now not giving out non 'o' visas, all have to go through London.

Regards

Hi, yes my original marriage certificate is in Thai. I got a certified translation done by the Thai Consulate in Hull UK. Sorry can't remember the cost exactly but not too expensive. Done around five years ago or so.

Regards

Thanks FS

Old problem making the rounds again with the Thai embassies. Started in Asia in last year and spread to the EU.

http://www.thai-consulate.net/royal-thai-consulate-in-hull.html

http://www.thai-consulate.net/thai-marriage-visa.html

NOTE : If you are applying at the local Thai embassy in your country they may now require you to show at least 100,000THB in a Thai bank account. The Thai Embassy in Malaysia now requires that for the 12 month (multiple entry) marriage visa you must now show 400,000THB and the Thai Embassy in Amsterdam now requires you to show a minimum of €2,000 equivalent in a Thai bank account.

-- I recall 2 years ago they would not issue an O visa if you are not married to a Thai or could not show a birth certificate of the Thai child. When you extend your visa now they stamp your passport "Thai wife" over the extended visa.

Edited by aqua4

Old problem making the rounds again with the Thai embassies. Started in Asia in last year and spread to the EU.

http://www.thai-consulate.net/royal-thai-consulate-in-hull.html

http://www.thai-consulate.net/thai-marriage-visa.html

NOTE : If you are applying at the local Thai embassy in your country they may now require you to show at least 100,000THB in a Thai bank account. The Thai Embassy in Malaysia now requires that for the 12 month (multiple entry) marriage visa you must now show 400,000THB and the Thai Embassy in Amsterdam now requires you to show a minimum of €2,000 equivalent in a Thai bank account.

-- I recall 2 years ago they would not issue an O visa if you are not married to a Thai or could not show a birth certificate of the Thai child. When you extend your visa now they stamp your passport "Thai wife" over the extended visa.

Your links that you posted are at least one year out of date. The upto date link I posted shows that Hull or any other consulate around the UK are no longer issuing non 'o' visas, everything has to go via London since 15th January 2014.

As I stated, as of last week there was no financial requirement from the Embassy in London if your other documents were in order. The financial requirements are actually for the yearly permission to stay stamp, although I know that some consulates were asking for it just for non 'o' visas.

Just trying to keep the information as current as possible to help other boardies that might be in the same position.

Best regards