Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

5-Year Driving License With Tourist Visa

Has anyone with a tourist visa been able to obtain a 5-year driving license?

I am getting inconclusive info on the web, and a search on here did not do much to resolve the issue.

On top of which a long-time resident told me that the driving license office does not really care about a tourist visa and will grant a 5-year license after the initial one-year temporary license is close to expiration.

They will grant you a 5 year license depending on what type of visa you have, If your visa is a double entry tourist visa, you should expect to get another 1 year. Expats can get a 5 year so long as they have a retirement/Non O Multi entry - 1 year.

I recently lost my 5 year to a 1 year because my Non O had expired. Next July i can get a 5 year after i re new my Non O - Multi entry.

The visa you have will get you a letter from immigration and that will dictate what length of time your license will last. You can get a 1 year license even with a 30 day stamp.

You have to have an expired one year license before they will give you a five year license. I don't know if your visa is important or not.

You have to have an expired one year license before they will give you a five year license. I don't know if your visa is important or not.

Thanks...but this is what one website has to say about it:

"According to a number of web boards and "all about Thailand" booklets the only way to get a 5 year driving permit is to let the old licence expire first and report to the DLT a day late. "Nonsense!", we've been told and proven."

I had no luck on a tourist visa at the Au Udom office, just South of Sriracha, but I did at the Regional Chonburi office just North of Chonburi on Suk. Road.

Thought I'd add that if you are having no luck with it in Pattaya, you can also try the Regional/Provincial office. They will handle anyone with a Chonburi province address.

Thanks...but this is what one website has to say about it:

"According to a number of web boards and "all about Thailand" booklets the only way to get a 5 year driving permit is to let the old licence expire first and report to the DLT a day late. "Nonsense!", we've been told and proven."

A few years ago the expired license was a fact. In the past couple of years they did change that silly rule. I do have a five year license now.

Edited by Gary

Another question I would like to ask is that my 5 year licence expired 18 months ago so will they renew the licence and give me another 5 years? I will have a non O visa.

Edited by thegrogmonster

I had no luck on a tourist visa at the Au Udom office, just South of Sriracha, but I did at the Regional Chonburi office just North of Chonburi on Suk. Road.

Just to make sure, do you mean they gave you a 5-year driving license while you were here on a 1, 2 or 3 entry toursit visa?

Just to make sure, do you mean they gave you a 5-year driving license while you were here on a 1, 2 or 3 entry toursit visa?

i got a 5 year both car and bike licenses on a 30 day stamp in Pattaya after my first 1 year licenses.

i've been told i was lucky... but my friend did his a few months after and he must have been lucky too...

i got a 5 year both car and bike licenses on a 30 day stamp in Pattaya after my first 1 year licenses.

i've been told i was lucky... but my friend did his a few months after and he must have been lucky too...

OK, that's the answer I was looking for. So it looks like it IS possible to get a 5 year license with a tourist visa.

I guess I will roll the dice and see what turns up!

Another question I would like to ask is that my 5 year licence expired 18 months ago so will they renew the licence and give me another 5 years? I will have a non O visa.

From what I have read, you will need to start the process all over - 1 year license, etc. They give a year's grace period.

But I would wait to see what other board members have to say based on their experience. Sometimes the "rules" that we see on websites - which is where I got my info - are not exactly what happens on the ground.

From what I have read, you will need to start the process all over - 1 year license, etc. They give a year's grace period.

But I would wait to see what other board members have to say based on their experience. Sometimes the "rules" that we see on websites - which is where I got my info - are not exactly what happens on the ground.

And what happens on the ground is sometimes inconsistent.

Do YOU have a current one year or 5 year Thai licence that is due to expire?

I went from 5 year to 5 year and it was pretty straightforward.

I can't remember what was required prior to the 5 year one, but no doubt the procedure has changed.

One can only go via the 'rules'.....and I consistently read a Non-Imm visa is required.

Source.

I had a 2 or 3 year extension previously, and extended that for 5 years. I had to sit through their instructional video and show them that my reflexes were fast enough to stop. They have some pedals for a simulation device at the Provincial HQ office.

Edited by LocalYokul

OK, that's the answer I was looking for. So it looks like it IS possible to get a 5 year license with a tourist visa. I guess I will roll the dice and see what turns up!

It's "always" possible because the officer who will look at your file/papers may forget to check this point, but official rules are that to get a 5-years licence you need to have a non-immigrant visa... Good luck ;-)