Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

A couple of years ago I raised the question here about the compatability of Open Office. My situation is that I have a PC and a laptop and both need replacing but the software (in my home country) will be in the region of 14000 baht and I only use Word and occasionally a spreadsheet for simple calcs.

While all is working I recently downloaded the Apache version and have been sending it to all my own accounts as attachments and to my mobile. I had to download an app for my phone as it would not open but so far computer to computer it has been great and no loss of formatting. I have also stared send out attachments to friends etc and this has been no problem either.

Has anyone out there any comments to make about possible downsides and issues before I take a changeover further.

Have been using Open Office for several years (too cheap to spring for MS upgrade). I don't need to work with others so I can't comment on that. Word and Excel substitutes work just fine for me. I've passed the word on the to others who are also quite satisfied.

Open Office is fine for working offline, but if your computer always has internet connection the google docs is better as it will alllow collaboration on any document and you can access them on any computer.

Only problem with open office and Google docs is that macros don't work the same as excel.

Why Not use Kingsoft Office

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/

It is about 70mb as compared to 1000mb plus for Microsoft

documents can be saved and opened as Microsoft Word documents etc

and it is FREE

you can also download it for your phone etc

it is fast and efficient compared to the BLOATWARE that is Microsoft

Edited by seanss
  • Upvote 1

I don't do anything techy with Open Office. I have never used macros or the spreadsheet. I use the word processor and once in a while someone sends me a picture presentation. It always opens them with no problems. I heartily recommend it. It reads Word documents and can save documents in that format.

and it is FREE

Thanks for the advice. I am still playing with the idea and I will download the Kingsoft as well and see how that works. . I still have some time to experiment.

• 8 months later...

I recently requested information on alternatives to Pirate Bay and thank those that responded to this subject and that one. I have noticed that the programme that chose for downloads, Kickass has a lot of software down loads and I now need to make a decision what I use in my computer.

Has anyone used the free Office software from Kickass? Is it worth a try or is Open Office a better bet?

For 99% of non-corporate users I could not imagine why Open Office would not suffice.

I still use Office 2003 because I paid for it and it does all that I need.

I do, however, use VBA extensively and would question how well OO stacks up.

When Microsoft managed to block my naughty copy I actually just went out and bought the 'Home and Student' Version here in Thailand.

Useful when someone forwards me a power point presentation...

Years ago I did use Open Office for a spell but I was unhappy with the spreadsheet package.

and it is FREE

Thanks for the suggestion. I read through the various suggestions and had a look at the web sites and feed back and chose Kingsoft. So far so good in that everything so far has worked and is compatible with saved MS Office documents.

I use Kingsoft now myself, even though I have a legal MSOffice package.

Thanks for the comments I have however a question. Using MS Mail I sent a couple of attachments to myself but cannot open them on my Android phone. It tells me that I don''t have the right programme to do so. I have tried a number of app downloads but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the comments I have however a question. Using MS Mail I sent a couple of attachments to myself but cannot open them on my Android phone. It tells me that I don''t have the right programme to do so. I have tried a number of app downloads but to no avail. Any suggestions?

What kind of attachments were they? You probably need an app that supports that attachment type.