Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hi Guys

I would appreciate any replies on the cost of living - in retirement in Pattaya, Naklua or Jomtien.

I have done some research on Condo's etc and can see what I am up for to either rent or buy.

But what about things like Electricity, Water, Cable TV, Wifi etc.

I know how much food, beer, golf & girl company costs.

I guess like thousands of guys I am harboring the "retirement in paradise dream", and while I have a way to go until I achieve the ultimate goal, and no doubt costs will rise, I am trying to figure out a realistic budget.

So assuming a standard amount of power, water etc for a single guy living in a condo.... what amount currently should I budget.... and then add CPI?

Cheers

Cluster

Edited by cluster
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Condo rent: 15.000-40.000 .. depends from your style ( I mean farang type condos, not the thai style )   Electricity: I'm a heavy user of my PC, regulary cooking at home etc... my bill usually unde

Op, a slight tangent to your question, but I have found this site to be helpful in understanding comparative cost of living expenses in various location pairs (enter any two cities you prefer).   ht

If I were able to travel, Medicare is certainly an option. That's the main reason I paid the premiums until I was 65.   My recent medical problem;   When I first moved to Thailand, as I said previ

I doubt you'll get many answers. It's like asking how long is a piece of string. No one knows what the future will bring. As for today, I know guys who live here on under 25,000 baht per month. There are other guys who spend more than 100,000 baht per month. As for lady prices and rentals, use the search.

You'll probably want a monthly income of as much as possible, like anywhere else in the world!

Thai immigration wants you to have a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, for purposes of a retirement type visa. And that's probably at the low end of what you would want to have. From personal experience, I'd say it's not hard to go through 120,000 to 150,000 baht a month, and I'm sure many guys do just that.

• Downvote 1

For electricity, if you plan to use aircon, it's dependent on the size of the dwelling.

When I was living alone in a 100sqm 2BR 2BA condo, TV for a couple of hours, refrigerator freezer, electric stove, instant hot water, always on computer, my monthly electric was about 2500/mo.

Water was about 400 month.

Internet 16 meg download, 1500/mo.

Satellite TV depends on the options you choose...maybe max 2000/mo.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Condo rent: 15.000-40.000 .. depends from your style ( I mean farang type condos, not the thai style )

Electricity: I'm a heavy user of my PC, regulary cooking at home etc... my bill usually under 1000 baht... turn on the air-con, add an extra 1-3.000 baht. ( a large studio...not a 1 bedroom condo )

Water: A few hundred bahts

Cable TV: Sophon 3600 / year... the satelite much much more expensibe... ( I myself never see the TV.. I download the movies in hungarian I want to see... the priviledge to see the TV for the girls.. )

Cable internet ( 3BB ) 600 / month 10 MB, 900 baht / month 13 MB

I live from 30-40.000 baht / months ( excluding the condo rental, I live in my own... ) but I'm a really simple guy... mostly I cook at home ( BTW more expensive, than the thai restaurants, but also a hobby ) all my hobbies are the weekly 2-3 sauna, movies, massages, sometimes a restaurant... I have 1-3 girls / week and go barhopping 2-3 times / week.. ( many girls are regulars with reduced tips and / or no barfines... but also LDOPping sometimes... )

Before to move here I calculated 80-100.000 / months... Living here I understood living here is not the same to be a tourist... I can sometimes just stay in the condo, read books, at the swimming pool, looking movies on my bed for days... sometimes for weeks... Sometimes to avoid the bar scene and the girls even for a week... ( I call it the starving week ... to make myself hungry ) Living here even 3-4 regulars ( reduced prices, no barfines ) are too much... I don't moan... I just share the surrealistic dream we live in... being an old ( 52 year old ) small and chubby guy ... I lie almost every day for the 20-25 year old girls calling me , why I can't meet them in my condo tonight.... Yes, I know it sounds like the paradise...and it is... BUT... also ... living here you may lose the thrill ...shagging a young girl you may only dream about back home is may become an experience, just like to gobble a good hamburger back home... I swore, for me a good massage gives more enjoyment, than a new barfined young girl....and lasts longer... :whistling:

Edited by Gabor
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

But what about things like Electricity, Water, Cable TV, Wifi etc.

As others have mentioned, the cost of living anywhere varies, but here's some data points to help you.

My utilization is based on double occupancy.

Electricity:

-------------

For two years, we lived in a 35 sq meter apartment (they charged higher electrical rates), rarely used the Air Cond, but used fans in the main room and in the enclosed patio where we had a refrigerator, hot plates, microwave, hot water maker, laptops, etc. and a 32" LCD TV (returned the units free tube TV); our monthly electric bill was 500 baht per month.

For the last three years In my 80 m condo with AC, multiple big screen TVs, 3-4 laptops running, 2 ISP modems, 2 refrigerators, various kitchen appliances, etc..; when we run the AC regularly, our electric bill is 2000 baht per month and when AC used infrequently it's 1200 baht per month at the "Provincial Electric Authority" rate, but had to buy the meter (1900 baht). Our neighbors indicate higher electrical utilization and bills as they run their AC during the night.

Water

--------

In the apt, we paid 300 baht per month without a washing machine.

In our two bathroom condo (one bathroom is a laundry room with washing machine), it's only 200 baht per month.

Cable TV

-----------

Included in Apt rent and in Condo HOA.

WiFI

------

For 3BB we pay 631 baht per month includes taxes

For our Sophon cable internet we paid by the year so about the same rate per month as 3BB, but with higher speeds.

It's interesting as these expenses are minimal when we examine our daily habits. For example when I was drinking coffee every morning at two local coffee shops, I was spending 60-100 baht x 2 per day or 120-200 baht per day times 30 days or 3600-6000 baht per month, just for coffee for myself. At home, it's maybe 5 baht per cup. There are other daily habits like walking or riding my bicycle vs. riding the motorbike or taking taxis, etc... but they are more for lifestyle and health than for the budget.

Good luck with your budget, CPI projections and lifestyle adjustments. Enjoy.

P.S. For the past 5 years, I have been "on" budget so with my income and available funds increasing as I age, it'll accommodate increasing costs and/or lifestyle changes.

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 1

I seem to average 80k-90k per month, but I live in a largish house with a number of monthly bills.

I also dread certain times of year when insurances/ renewal type items come in.

(Medical insurance, vehicle insurance for eg).

Elec 3k,water 1-2k, (fucking garden), cable TV cheap (sophon), internet 700, pcm..then extras like pool service, bug spraying, gardening and the missus!

Edited by jacko

A question for guys that have a live in girlfriend...Do you pay her an allowance/salary?...or give her monthly walking around money? If so...how much?

Thanks for the replies here guys..... so my rough calculations were reasonably close actually.

I am currently working on a living expenses plan of 65,000 to 70,000 baht per month....not including condo rental, as I would eventually buy..... which I think is comfortable.

Cheers to MM, Gabor, Jacko & Losgrad for your input.

My condo plans are in line with what MM has stated - 100sqm, 2BR, 2 BA

No Garden plans for me Jacko - been there done that - that's what I want to get away from. Pool yes but that is the facilities problem.... right? - Hadn't considered insurance, but thanks for pointing that out. In the short term no car would be the plan, live central & walk a lot. I like the exercise.

You make some good points Gabor - even the starving week..... build up some "reserve supplies" in the sack!

Cheers

Cluster

Edited by cluster

I seem to average 80k-90k per month, but I live in a largish house with a number of monthly bills.

I also dread certain times of year when insurances/ renewal type items come in.

(Medical insurance, vehicle insurance for eg).

Elec 3k,water 1-2k, (fucking garden), cable TV cheap (sophon), internet 700, pcm..then extras like pool service, bug spraying, gardening and the missus!

Jacko, just curious, I understand you have a house as opposed to a condo and therefore occur numerous additional costs, but does that 80-90k per month include your rent, health insurance, electric etc?

Or, is that daily exspenses after paying the essentials?

Thx in advance.

Op, a slight tangent to your question, but I have found this site to be helpful in understanding comparative cost of living expenses in various location pairs (enter any two cities you prefer).

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Thailand&city1=Houston%2C+TX&city2=Pattaya

It isn't 100% accurate but it is not too bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The question about a live in girlfriend is valid...especially if she has a kid...and a family. From where I'm sitting...once you let her move in, your expenses are double...and you become responsible for her child/children and all the expenses that go along with her family.

Best to be like gabor...hiring girls 2-3 times a week...than falling in love and watching the drain on your bank account take place b/4 your eyes...school uniforms for the kids, doctor visits, food, dinners with the family....etc...and IMHO...that's the hard part about being an ex-pat...you have to have limits and can't fall in love...

...once you do, your 70-80k baht monthly expenses are out the window and you are...fucked.

• Upvote 2

^ agree Spike.... No plans for live ins, but we all know plans & pattaya don't match at times. I think Gabor is onto a good thing, and while I don't always agree with his posts, I do appreciate his input on this one.

Kids, School Uniforms, extended families, are many of the reasons I want to change my lifestyle. Like Jacko's garden issues - been there, done that - not gonna do it again!

Cluster

PS - thanks for the link VP178!

Edited by cluster
  • Upvote 1

Op, a slight tangent to your question, but I have found this site to be helpful in understanding comparative cost of living expenses in various location pairs (enter any two cities you prefer).

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Thailand&city1=Houston%2C+TX&city2=Pattaya

Interesting....

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Hungary&country2=Thailand&city1=Budapest&city2=Pattaya

christalfuckimighty- did you check out where Sydney is- yup top of the list.

^ haha ZARIS - somehow it does not surprise me (that Sydney is at the top) at all.

Even the little old backwater that is Adelaide is up there!

As the OP who provided the link said, its not 100% accurate..... but its a damn good tool to have handy. Its into the fav's for me now!

Cluster

Agree with Spike………..Well said.

If I was still working I might consider a 'draining' it could be worth the risk even, just for the experience……. Expecting to lose money but knowing I could cover it and so less likely to fuel resentments and disputes.

As it is a couple of weeks ago I waved goodbye, as she sat on the bus to the airport, the only girl that had draining potential for me……… I wished her luck and meant it.

Had I been a bit younger and working I would have gone the way of so many others……Wishing for a Mrs Gonzo but getting instead a Mrs Kraken, her assuming the financial whip hand and consequently condemning me to a life of watching my Ps and Qs.

On the other hand without entering into a commitment that could drain you……You can live very well and quite cheaply here.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 2

One thing not mentioned (I think) is the body corporate fees for having a condo in a complex. I guess if you have a big place and want swimming pool gym etc this has to be a significant sum.

The question about a live in girlfriend is valid...especially if she has a kid...and a family. From where I'm sitting...once you let her move in, your expenses are double...and you become responsible for her child/children and all the expenses that go along with her family.

Best to be like gabor...hiring girls 2-3 times a week...than falling in love and watching the drain on your bank account take place b/4 your eyes...school uniforms for the kids, doctor visits, food, dinners with the family....etc...and IMHO...that's the hard part about being an ex-pat...you have to have limits and can't fall in love...

...once you do, your 70-80k baht monthly expenses are out the window and you are...fucked.

That's why, in my answer, I provided figures from when I was living singly rather than as a couple. That longest I was "single" was about 3 months, which was enough time for me to see a significant drop in electric and water usage...here's how that worked out.

When the missus was in residence, she did laundry (washing machine and ironing) which increased our electric and water usage. If she stayed home, which she did many nights while I was in FLB, the aircon was on 24 hours in the bedroom, at least.

So, for the months prior to her departing, the electric costs were running between 5-6K baht/month. Water was about 500b/month.

After she was gone, my electric bill dropped to 2500 baht..a savings of 2500-3500 baht/month.Water dropped 100-150 baht/month, as I recall.

So, there's a gross savings of 2600-3750 baht...but I still had to get laundry done. For that, I'd run my clothes down to a local laundry (Express Laundry, 3rd Road) where they would do my weekly laundry for about 750 baht...or 3000 baht/month.

As you can see, in the end, I broke even on water, electric, and laundry.

Of course, at that point, I was barfining frequently and paying a lot more for those extra items that go along with being single in Pattaya.

The point being..two can live as cheaply as one as far as those items go.

spike's caveats about children, family, schooling can all be controlled by judicious choice of mate and laying down boundaries. No one has to get taken to the cleaners unless they are inclined to be so.

In fact, my monger friend has recently found a perfect match for someone...she is 21, childless, an orphan and has one brother who works as an artist and makes money on his own. He says she is also incredible in the bedroom, exceeding anything to be found at Bliss or Lolitas. I only have his word for all this, but it seems that a girl like that would be less likely to be a drain on the finances.

Just a thought :P

• Upvote 2

MM has alluded to the cost of laundry which you appear to have not considered. This may seem a trivial thing but it can multiply into a fairly significant amount on a monthly basis if you start changing sheets and towels two or three times per week.

In addition cleaning costs can also mount up. Most small apartments are easy to keep fairly clean but if you want to get a cleaner in reckon on it costing around 300baht a time for a studio. Not a large amount but a cost that can mount up if you decide to get your room cleaned several times a week.

Hope this helps.

TG

• Upvote 1

MM has alluded to the cost of laundry which you appear to have not considered. This may seem a trivial thing but it can multiply into a fairly significant amount on a monthly basis if you start changing sheets and towels two or three times per week.

In addition cleaning costs can also mount up. Most small apartments are easy to keep fairly clean but if you want to get a cleaner in reckon on it costing around 300baht a time for a studio. Not a large amount but a cost that can mount up if you decide to get your room cleaned several times a week.

Hope this helps.

TG

Good point, tallguy...incidentals like cleaning and laundry...not something I come to Thailand to do, while not expensive compared to western rates, are certainly an ongoing cost and should be a consideration in forming a budget.

Jacko, just curious, I understand you have a house as opposed to a condo and therefore occur numerous additional costs, but does that 80-90k per month include your rent, health insurance, electric etc?

Or, is that daily exspenses after paying the essentials?

Thx in advance.

That would NOT include the big annual type items, medical insurance, flights home etc.

No rent though, as I own the house, sort of!

But it does include monthly expenses, like electricity, water, 'allowance' for the Mrs, food, nights out.

My local bank account shows total withdrawals for the month, and since I pay for most things in cash, and the credit card is a deduction on said account, I can readily see what each month entails.

Edited by jacko

Some more good points here to consider.

Interesting summary from MM re live-in & laundry/power costs vs getting laundry done & more bf's etc.

I agree you don't retire, move to LOS to clean the condo, and do laundry... food for thought and interesting discussion.

Body Corporate fees are another area I've not considered.... anyone care to offer a standard cost on this.... understand there is likely huge variances.

Flights home etc I have factored in & will continue to build a very significant "bank" of frequent flyer miles.

Body Corporate fees are another area I've not considered.... anyone care to offer a standard cost on this.... understand there is likely huge variances.

If you rent, they are typically included into the rental amount.

What are 'Body Corporate Fees'?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1