Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Best Prices for Tires in Pattaya

Thanks to Pattaya's wonderful roads, I hit a pothole and blew out a tire. Second road where they are "fixing" the road by Mikes Mall...

Where is a good place to buy a low profile tire at a good price?

Thanks in Advance

I just put 2 new ones on the truck... but to be honest I didn't have the patience to shop around looking for the best price.

I too thought of posting here but decided on 'nearest'.

There is a Quik Fit place in front of the Big-C South (near Tai), and of course many shops on Sukhumvit.

I was very happy with the price and service at the tire shop just north of the Pattaya Honda dealer on Sukhimvit.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

I was very happy with the price and service at the tire shop just north of the Pattaya Honda dealer on Sukhimvit.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

I will try that place when we come back from OZ in October.. When I had the Vios serviced not so long ago at Toyota, they would not rotate the tires, as they told me they had tiny cracks on them. They told me to buy new ones for safety reasons. The tires still have plenty of thread on them and I hope the Toyota service department is not telling fibs. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Gonzo

There is a good place along Thepprasit Rd on the left (inside the first gas station) near the night market as you are heading towards Sukhomvit. They can repair tires and sell new or "runners"

I will try that place when we come back from OZ in October.. When I had the Vios serviced not so long ago at Toyota, they would not rotate the tires, as they told me they had tiny cracks on them. They told me to buy new ones for safety reasons. The tires still have plenty of thread on them and I hope the Toyota service department is not telling fibs. Thanks for the info.

Main stealers will tell you all kinds of bullshit to relieve you of your money , for things like tyre's always use an independent and save a lot of $$$$$$

There is a good place along Thepprasit Rd on the left (inside the first gas station) near the night market as you are heading towards Sukhomvit. They can repair tires and sell new or "runners"

I need some expert advice, if the tyres (tires) need replacing. They look all right to me and they have as much thread as new ones. I have done less than 20 000 km in four years and always take it easy on the brakes. If they indeed need replacing, I want to buy a good new set of tires and am not worried about the cost. I just had a full service done, had the brake fluid and the coolant replaced, the air con cleaned for 2000 baht and the car looks and drives like a new car.

I need some expert advice, if the tyres (tires) need replacing. They look all right to me and they have as much thread as new ones. I have done less than 20 000 km in four years and always take it easy on the brakes. If they indeed need replacing, I want to buy a good new set of tires and am not worried about the cost. I just had a full service done, had the brake fluid and the coolant replaced, the air con cleaned for 2000 baht and the car looks and drives like a new car.

So go talk to them and ask

20,000 KM shouldn't require tyre changes unless you have been doing skidding 180's, have a tracking problem, or some physical damage from a hard hit. My replacement at 90k was due to a tracking problem that did in 2 tyres before I got it sorted.

So go talk to them and ask

I will do so when we come back from Oz in October. Leaving Jomtien early next week to fly to Singapore with Jetstar and after a 10 hour wait in transit at Changi airport will board another Jetstar flight back to to Darwin. Cheers

20,000 KM shouldn't require tyre changes unless you have been doing skidding 180's, have a tracking problem, or some physical damage from a hard hit. My replacement at 90k was due to a tracking problem that did in 2 tyres before I got it sorted.

That what I thought. I never do any 180s skidding and never had a tracking problem or an accident. It is probably another case of Thai business people trying to rip off a Farang.

That what I thought. I never do any 180s skidding and never had a tracking problem or an accident. It is probably another case of Thai business people trying to rip off a Farang.

Do you park your car out of the sun?

The only other thing I could think of would be sun damage, this can cause cracking in the rubber and if this is deep, be of concern.

Do you park your car out of the sun?

The only other thing I could think of would be sun damage, this can cause cracking in the rubber and if this is deep, be of concern.

I don't park in the sun often. When we drive to Pattaya, I use one of the undercover car parks we know and take a baht bus from there to other destination .There is an undercover car park at the JBC condos. Having the car parked there, not being driven for a few month each year, when we go overseas might cause problems for the tyres (tires), like flat spots? There are quite a few potholes all over the place on the roads and at times they are hard to avoid. That might also cause fine cracks in the tyres (tires), which cannot be seen? I want to be on the safe side and will probably buy a new and good set of new ones, when we come back. Thanks for trying to help.

I will do so when we come back from Oz in October. Leaving Jomtien early next week to fly to Singapore with Jetstar and after a 10 hour wait in transit at Changi airport will board another Jetstar flight back to to Darwin. Cheers

I thought this thread was about Tyers , thanks for updating us on your travel itinerary though........!

I thought this thread was about Tyers , thanks for updating us on your travel itinerary though........!

Scrutinize your own posts.

Actually Gonzo I think you are wasting money unless you see some real damage/ problem with the tyres.

Money that could have been spent on a full service carrier with better connections maybe?

Money that could have been spent on a full service carrier with better connections maybe?

Hi Jacko, I went to my favourite PTT service station on Sukhumvit yesterday to buy fuel and have the tyres inflated to their correct pressure. They have mechanics working there in a workshop. They only speak Thai. The missus asked the boss mechanic to check the tyres. He told her they looked like new ones and it would be silly to buy a new set when we come back.. He said the people at Toyota were having a lend of me. I then had the car washed and now it's all wrapped up and stored undercover, as we are making preparations for our three month trip or longer early next week.

Sorry Nightrider for mentioning my itinerary again. :lsmile

Edited by Gonzo

Hi Jacko, I went to my favourite PTT service station on Sukhumvit yesterday to buy fuel and have the tyres inflated to their correct pressure. The have mechanics working there in a workshop. They only speak Thai. The missus asked the boss mechanic to check the tyres. He told her they looked like new tyres and it would be silly to buy new ones. He said the people at Toyota were having a lend of me. I then had the car washed and now it's all wrapped up and stored undercover, as we are making preparations for our three month trip or longer early next week.

Sorry Nightrider for mentioning my itinerary again. :lsmile

Haha, and I bet the Toyota guy would have 'disposed' of the old tyres for you too!

• Upvote 1

My pickup had nearly 90,000 kilometers on the Bridgestone Dueler original tires. The tires still looked good with no cracks and about half the tread left. I changed them because they were no longer safe on wet pavement. They appear to have hardened to the point where they had no traction. If the tires are more than five years old, it would be best to change them. Spending money on new tires rather than chancing an accident seemed to be a good investment to me. I did keep the old tires and someone may be able to use then for a trailer or an old beater pickup for farm use. The tire dealer wouldn't give me anything for them.

Edited by Gary
  • Upvote 1

My pickup had nearly 90,000 kilometers on the Bridgestone Dueler original tires. The tires still looked good with no cracks and about half the tread left. I changed them because they were no longer safe on wet pavement. They appear to have hardened to the point where they had no traction. If the tires are more than five years old, it would be best to change them. Spending money on new tires rather than chancing an accident seemed to be a good investment to me. I did keep the old tires and someone may be able to use then for a trailer or an old beater pickup for farm use. The tire dealer wouldn't give me anything for them.

All right then. I will consider buying new tyres (tires) when the car is five years old, one year from now. :clueless

All right then. I will consider buying new tyres (tires) when the car is five years old, one year from now. :clueless

It's the age of the tyre you need to consider, Gonzo, not the age of the car. The tyres could be a couple of years old when they were first fitted. Tyres have a Tyre Identification code on it, showing the week of the year and the year it was manufactured. for instance, if it shows a code similar to DOT U2LL LMLR 5107, it would mean it was made in the 51st week of 2007.

Hope that helps.

KM

Gonzo never goes faster than 20 kph........and slows down in the wet.

My truck uses the same tyres and I just replaced 2 at 85,000km.... plenty of weight on the old ones at the front!

Remember the Godfather movies. They mafiosi used black American made Ford Fairlane sedans. In 1972 I bought an imported second-hand one from an old bloke who hardly had ever used it. I bought the car from him when he was no longer able to drive. Until not so long ago, we had no speed limits on the Stuart Highway all the way down to Alice Springs, except in the built up areas and there aren't many in the Northern Territory.

The NT is also still the only place in Australia where they allow road trains with three trailers. That makes some road trains more than a hundred metres long. When you were stuck behind a road train, it could be hairy trying to overtake one. The road trains would drive along doing about 80 miles per hour. We still spoke in miles and gallons then. The Fairlane was an incredibly fast car. When trying to overtake a road train one had to wait until the driver blew his horn, signalling that he thought it was save to overtake him.

When that happened I would press the accelerator down as far as I could and the Fairlane would kick back and take off like a rocket, going as fast as 140 miles per hour, which allowed me to overtake the road train in a flash. The only problem with the Fairlane was it was very heavy on fuel consumption and fuel was cheap in Oz then. It was using a gallon of juice for every 11-12 miles.

As for driving at 20 k/hr. here in Pattaya, I am not surprised now, since you told me, that there are so many cars driving behind me blowing their horns with very angry faces. Jokes aside, it is no longer fun driving a car here, except early in the morning. Sukhumvit, Pattaya Thai, Klang and Nua are a pain in the backside. Third Road is just as bad. Driving past your place on 36 to Chantaburi is a lot better and one can drive safely doing 120 to 130 clicks per hour. After that the small Vios becomes a bit unstable. The fuel consumption for the Vios is not what Toyota promised, 7 litres of Gasohol 91 for every 100 km. It is more like 12 litres of juice for every 100 kilometres, probably due to the stop-start traffic. I should have bought a BMW.

. Jokes aside, it is no longer fun driving a car here, except early in the morning. Sukhumvit, Pattaya Thai, Klang and Nua are a pain in the backside. Third Road is just as bad. Driving past your place on 36 to Chantaburi is a lot better and one can drive safely doing 120 to 130 clicks per hour. After that the small Vios becomes a bit unstable. The fuel consumption for the Vios is not what Toyota promised, 7 litres of Gasohol 91 for every 100 km. It is more like 12 litres of juice for every 100 kilometres, probably due to the stop-start traffic. I should have bought a BMW.

To be honest I agree about the driving here, no fun at all and why I am mostly on the bike. It may be pleasant to be sat in AC but it takes forever to get any-place and is a constant frustration. It only gets easier as you get further from town, although near 'my place' isn't so good. The surface of HWY 36 has been churned up so badly in places it is like you are on a Big Dipper ride above 100 kph and you are thrown all over the place. I might bang my head like you do often. HWY 36 has a bad reputation and rightly so, The trips over the hills to Issarn aren't bad once you get well down 331 and past Ammata.

You don't want a BMW, it's a tw**s's car!

I was only joking about the BMW. I am a modest bloke and never try to show off, like some of the Thais from Bangkok. They arrive here on weekends in their cheap condos and their flash cars, they bought with a mortgage from their bank. I am glad when we leave early on Wednesday morning, before the hordes from Bangkok arrive for the long holiday weekend.

There are always lots of big trucks on Highway 36, probably carrying goods from the industrial areas around Rayong to the wharves in Laem Chabang. The truck drivers, unlike so many of the other idiotic car drivers, especially the mini bus drivers, seem to understand how to drive properly. One has to drive well drive well to handle a big truck. I don't think the trucks get checked how much weight they are carrying often. That would be the reason why 36 is now churned up badly. Last time I drove on 36 was a while ago and the road was in reasonably good condition. They could not have done much maintenance work since then.It's amazing how many other drivers try to get past the many trucks at high speeds in any possible way, forever changing lanes without using their indicators.

Having banged my head against hard objects so often would be the equivalent to the damage that does to the brain of someone who drinks a lot of beer on a daily basis. Level O medical science. :smile: