Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Agoda, Trivago or book direct?

Well both Momondo.com and Trivago.com (and probably others) search multiple sites so what is the harm in checking the price with them before asking the hotel for a quote ?

But for busy people the savings might not be worth it.

• Upvote 1

A few years back, Agoda was bought by Priceline. I'm not sure about Booking.com.

Priceline owns Agoda, booking.com and kayak.com. In June they acquired opentable.com (a US restaurant rez site) for $2.6 billion - cash. :chogdee2

-redwood

• 2 months later...

I have used Agoda in the past but never again I had my account deleted the hardest thing to do with Agoda, they scamed me out of a lot of points by bulshitting with another site called Email Cash another scam site.

Edited by alfmaz

I have used Agoda in the past but never again I had my account deleted the hardest thing to do with Agoda, they scamed me out of a lot of points by bulshitting with another site called Email Cash another scam site.

Sorry to hear that. Ive never ever had any problems with Agoda and points been awarded or spent. They have always been good to me.

I used to use agencies such as Sawadee and Expedia but have not done so for years. I agree that if you are new to the place then its possibly a good move but if you come a few times then you will find the areas that you want to stay in and the type of accommodation that best suits you. There is often a saving as I note that the listed prices on the accommodation site is often plus 17.5%. I try to pay afterwards by putting it on the credit card or when booking an apartment after I have had a look at the place.

There is one other time that I might use an agency and that is if you are travelling to a new place. I used Agoda for Laos and Cambodia initially but the places were never as good as the advertising. The best way possibly is to ask on here and then do your home work. I noted a recent thread on Chiang Mai and if I get there I will be using boardies recommendations. I have already visited the web sites of some of the places mentioned and I would certainly book direct.

I used Agoda once. I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. No hassle have my money credited back to my credit card.

I used Agoda once. I had to cancel my trip two days before I was to leave. No hassle getting a refund.

I used Agoda once. I had to cancel my trip at the last minute. No hassle have my money credited back to my credit card.

Aye.....we got the message BigD :D

• Upvote 1

Aye.....we got the message BigD :D

LOL. My daughter tells me the same thing! :thumbup

• Upvote 1

I've been refunded by Agoda in the past , fairly hassle free experience. FWIW my friend went direct and got a price not far off the Agoda offering. One thing I've noticed is that Agoda etc don't include the 17% taxes etc in their prices, so this needs to be factored in when looking at the final figures.

Using hotel.com at the moment. Benefits for me are cancellation on most bookings are free up to 2 days before or first night charged. Match any prices, all fees up front, reward program, easy booking and changes done on the internet, can talk to a real person 24hr day if I needed to. Only downside most of the big brand hotels don't except the discount promotion.