Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Rumor About Retirement Visa Income Proof

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that the bottom line is if you want a hassle free retirement extension, just put the 800,000 in a Thai bank. After you have your extension, you can live off that money until three months befor

Yes MM, I know. Problem is that on a forum you must use the correct terminology or define precisely the context: - if about someone who live in Thailand: it's an "Extension of Stay based on being ov

I can see that there is some method behind the madness of board names. Your name must be a reflection of the French "idee fixe", a common meaning of which is: An idée fixe is a preoccupation of mind h

I have been considering a few things regarding retiring to Pattaya with my Mrs. If possible, would it not be easier, if you have the money, to have "his and hers" local bank accounts, that day to day you don't touch, maybe dip into if needed, but have a little over 800k most of the year in both. Then in addition, if required show a "live" day to day joint account showing income and routine expenses like rent and medical insurance payments, local cash withdrawals etc?

I have been considering a few things regarding retiring to Pattaya with my Mrs. If possible, would it not be easier, if you have the money, to have "his and hers" local bank accounts, that day to day you don't touch, maybe dip into if needed, but have a little over 800k most of the year in both. Then in addition, if required show a "live" day to day joint account showing income and routine expenses like rent and medical insurance payments, local cash withdrawals etc?

Well that is sort of what I do, maintain my savings account above 800k and utilise it for day to day living as well.

I don't see the need for a day to day joint account, purely to show activity.

It has never been required for my retirement extension, just the bank letter and copies of the passbook of my savings account.

I could believe it necessary if you obtained an extension based on marriage to a Thai, but then she would not need the 800k on deposit.

I don't feel I need a joint bank account, although I know many couples who do have them.

Joint accounts are not permitted for retirement extensions. Some Immigration offices have allowed joint if the account balance has been 1.6 million baht or greater during the required "seasoning" period.

-redwood

Maybe move to battles and arguments section.

Not that bad. :smile:

Just move it in the " World > Americas > USA > California > LA " sub-forum,

then replace "Retirement" by "O-A" in the title, and everything will be fine :smile:

Sorry, maybe I worded the question badly.

I understand that a married couple, both falang, can not retire on a joint acc. When I said "his and hers" I meant he had his account and she had her account, with 800k in each, to meet criteria for the visa and then extensions.

The reason I suggested a second account for day to day expenes is I am uneasy about having large amounts accessable, or made vulnerable, by a PIN or a scanned or cloned bank card. This has happened before, though luckily only with more modest amounts. UK banks seem fairly switched on regarding scams and protecting customers as they are liable. Would this be the case with Thai banks?

Out of interest, if you had 1.6 mill Tbt in Thai banks saving account, what sort of interest rate would that attract over a year?

Sorry, maybe I worded the question badly.

I understand that a married couple, both falang, can not retire on a joint acc. When I said "his and hers" I meant he had his account and she had her account, with 800k in each, to meet criteria for the visa and then extensions.

The reason I suggested a second account for day to day expenes is I am uneasy about having large amounts accessable, or made vulnerable, by a PIN or a scanned or cloned bank card. This has happened before, though luckily only with more modest amounts. UK banks seem fairly switched on regarding scams and protecting customers as they are liable. Would this be the case with Thai banks?

Out of interest, if you had 1.6 mill Tbt in Thai banks saving account, what sort of interest rate would that attract over a year?

Bangkok bank offers cards with a chip in them that protects against cloning.

Another protection is to have an SMS sent to your phone whenever there are withdrawals.

A regular savings account will only offer 0.5%

Fixed term deposits can achieve 2.0-2.5% depending on the term.

Bangkok Bank Rates

Odd, because I received my retirement visa without going back to Canada.

Do you have a Non-Imm OA Visa?

You mean a "retirement visa"? :llaugh

Yes I do, obviously he went back to Oman to get it.

Edited by jacko
  • Downvote 1

I seriously doubt that.

BTW, was browsing a lawyer's site, one of many, that refers to the visa obtained within Thailand as a retirement visa (O-A Long Stay). I think they should be ashamed of themselves.

I seriously doubt that.

BTW, was browsing a lawyer's site, one of many, that refers to the visa obtained within Thailand as a retirement visa (O-A Long Stay). I think they should be ashamed of themselves.

I have heard some strange things from lawyers, one was the truth.

Fat finger syndrome, meant to give a plus 1 for that.

I seriously doubt that.

I have heard some strange things from lawyers, one was the truth.

Well, this should frost your cookies!

http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Yes, they call it an extension too.

Application for the Non-Immigrant O Visa and extension in Thailand:

Edited by jacko

Yes, they call it an extension too.

Application for the Non-Immigrant O Visa and extension in Thailand:

Please read again Jacko. "O" is not "O-A"...

It is very well explained on the link MM gave: http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa/Thailand-Retirement-Visa.php

Note:The foreigner on a visa exemption stamp or a tourist visa can still apply for a retirement visa given that the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension visa applications. This can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.

What is an 'extension visa'?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

Be careful if you intend to get a Retirement Extension in Jomtien soon.

It was a rumour for 2-3 days but ThaiVisa seems to confirm it:

Pattaya immigration no longer does conversion to non-O visa

That means that if you just have a Tourist-Visa or used Visa Exemption,

you can't get a Retirement Extension in Jomtien anymore.

You will need to go Bangkok to convert your visa to a non-O first. With more controls?

Could be a kind of sanction towards Jomtien in relation to the many

visa agencies who offer "very easy retirement 'visa'"...

• Upvote 2

This is sounding like the nit pickers on Thai Visa. Everyone knows what a retirement visa is yet some insist on calling it an extension. I think they do that just to find fault with people who call it a retirement visa. Spelling errors do irritate me but I don't normally look for posts just to correct the spelling.

As far as Siam Legal, no way would I pay $719 US to get a 1,900 baht ($60) retirement visa or as the nit pickers insist on, an extension. The two most common visas are the retirement and the marriage visas. Neither are the exact correct terms but everyone knows what they are.

ADDED - A friend of mine was paying an agent 10,000 baht every year for a phony stamp. Just as they were about to catch up with him, he died so it really didn't matter.

Edited by Gary

Everyone knows what a retirement visa is yet some insist on calling it an extension.

It seems to me that you don't know...

Why would you call "Visa" something whose stamp clearly says "Extension" ? (Look at your passport)

Why would you need a Visa (i.e. an Entry authorisation) when you already are in the country ?

So you prefer to call it an extension. That's really not very descriptive. What are you extending?

So you prefer to call it an extension. That's really not very descriptive. What are you extending?

Your Stay.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...