Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Where have all the Russians, Ukranians and other former Soviet visitors gone? Jomtien Beach today was empty of them...unless they are all sleeping in, there has been a mass exodus. I can't say I'm too distressed, but who will read all the Russian signage on all the restaurants and businesses all over town?

2014-08-29 15.34.10.jpg

2014-08-29 15.34.06.jpg

2014-08-29 15.34.02.jpg

2014-08-29 15.22.33.jpg

2014-08-29 15.22.28.jpg

2014-08-29 15.22.25.jpg

They have all been drafted?

Who knows, I seem to remember that in the early days of the Russian invasion it was very much a seasonal thing, more recently yes they are here all year round.

August is likely the only time of year they get good weather at home.

Their currency is down also, 37/US$, for Thai baht, it was 1:1 early in the year, now they need 14% more.

They will be back though.

That's the best news I've heard all week.

I find it impossible to believe that they fell for the the idea that Pattaya is some sort of tropical paradise for as long as they did. Don't get me wrong, I love it there, but if I wasn't going for the women I could find so many other places to holiday.

I don't even like walking on the beach barefoot in Pattaya, never mind swim in that shit.

C'est la vie

I still see a few folks who I would guess are from the rodina. The batallions who book rooms in Naklua so they can get the full benefit of riding baht buses to and from Jomtien seem to be missing in action.

Edited by nkped

I certainly wouldn't miss the Russians if they ALL leave. They are strange people.

• Upvote 1

I to would "stay home" if the US was being invaded by Putin and thery were shooting down comercial airliners!!!

chers

rb

Evidently 5 Russian tour companies have gone bust in the last 2 months

Tour operators, some of whom are among the nation's oldest, say they have experienced an unprecedented slump in demand, which they blame on the bad political climate and the depreciation of the ruble, which has lost up to 10 percent against the dollar since January. The closure of one tour operator alone, Labirint, has left over 20,000 people abroad without a return ticket and affected another 40,000 who had already bought travel packages, tourism officials said.

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-tourists-stranded-abroad-crisis-deepens-162713798.html

Good news the Russians are going to be replaced by offering cheap deals to tourists from India and the Middle East.

When Pattaya is overrun with Chinese, Arabs and Indians you will miss the Russians....
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The Russians for the most part are rude and unfriendly. But many are with families and do not frequent the bars as much. There still is a large influx of Asian men who throw money around in the clubs and garner a lot of attention from the ladies.

Be careful what you wish for. Many business owners in Pattaya are hanging on by a thread. They and you need tourists spending money for them to survive.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Be careful what you wish for. Many business owners in Pattaya are hanging on by a thread. They and you need tourists spending money for them to survive.

They survived before they were here and they will survive after they are gone.

• Upvote 1

When Pattaya is overrun with Chinese, Arabs and Indians you will miss the Russians....

I was being ironic…...

I actually met a very cheerful and funny Russian a couple of days ago……….The next day he was about to chat again and his 'ball-and-chain gave him a withering look and he blanked me.

The thought that she must consider me a bad influence has left me with confused feelings…...

• Upvote 1

Good news the Russians are going to be replaced by offering cheap deals to tourists from India and the Middle East.

Well Chinese are being offered free tourist visas to bump up their numbers.

I think someone is worried about losing a performance bonus!

I think they have given a big boost to run-down hotels, restaurants and the shops, tourist centres like Nong-Nooch, Tiger Zoo too.

I don't think they have injected much into the night life unless you include 7-11 shops.

Who do you know that is hanging on by a thread?

I think they have given a big boost to run-down hotels, restaurants and the shops, tourist centres like Nong-Nooch, Tiger Zoo too.

I don't think they have injected much into the night life unless you include 7-11 shops.

Who do you know that is hanging on by a thread?

No one in particular but given the large numbers of Russian tourists in Pattaya. Their absence will be noticed. Big time loss for the local economy.

No one in particular but given the large numbers of Russian tourists in Pattaya. Their absence will be noticed. Big time loss for the local economy.

Ask the bar owner that has Russians ordering just one beer, but taking up five seats and a pool table for two hours.

During my last trip, I met a family from California - mom, dad, hot 16-17 y/o daughter and a 15 year old son.

The dad and I got to talking about things to do with the family as it was quite apparent to all of them (especially the wide eyed son) what the town was all about.

I think there are many clueless foreigners that get sold a bill of goods. This is more so in eastern Europe than the USA but even here it happens.

After a while, word of mouth by the women will put a damper on Eastern European family tourism.

I can't say I know if that will apply to Asian cultures.

I get question all the time "why Thailand?" Maybe I can go with you and you can show me "all" the gr8 tourist sightseing spots!!

I only tell them when I've returned, never when I'm going next!!!

chers

rb