Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Driving advice/rules in Thailand

I saw this on a Facebook post and it's so on the mark that I think you should all see it.

I looked and found it was posted last year on Thaivisa, so it's been around for a while.

Source http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685689-my-wifes-brothers-driving-is-driving-me-round-the-bend/?p=7109916

Every single one of these "rules" is observable daily!

Driving In Thailand ( Rules)

If you are considering driving in Thailand we give you tips about traveling on our roads.

1. Never indicate - this will give away your next move. A real Thai driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, this space will be filled by at least 2 taxis and a mini bus, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It's a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Thailand during rush hour. That's why it's called 'rush hour'

8. Just because you're in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Thai driver flashing his lights behind you doesn't think he can go faster if he is in your spot.

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you might be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Thailand is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the government, They put big holes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keeps them on their toes.

11. Always honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light turns green. This prevents birds from building nests on top of the traffic light and from leaving droppings on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Thai driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

13. On average, at least four cars can go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It's people not adhering to this basic principle that causes the big traffic jams during rush hour.

14. The reason that many Thais travel at 95 MPH is simply because their car won't do 100 MPH.

15. Never wear a motorcycle helmet on the head. That is what the basket in front is for.

16. No vehicle of any type can be overloaded.

17. Do not tie down loads of steel or anything else, that's what the people sitting on top of it are for.

18. I have blown my horn or flashed my lights so I have right of way no matter what.

19. When you park your motor bike, always park it as close as possible to another one, even though there are no other bikes in the parking area.

• Upvote 1

Very good that.

Here's another one:

When intending to turn left further on, don't plan ahead and change to the inner lane beforehand, do it from the outside lane when you reach the turnoff.

Very good that.

Here's another one:

When intending to turn left further on, don't plan ahead and change to the inner lane beforehand, do it from the outside lane when you reach the turnoff.

Yes, there are some missing ones...let me add a few.

mm1) When making a left turn, especially on a motorbike, into a busy street, do not look for oncoming traffic. If you die, you die, if not, and they have to spin out applying the brakes, it wasn't your time.

mm2) Always use the fast lane, whether you are passing or not, because the outer lane has too many potholes from overweight trucks and shoddy construction.

mm3) when driving a motorbike and passing someone on the right in a crowded street (especially if it is a farang driver), always overtake just sufficient to then drive across the over taken bike's path and with luck, tap his front wheel to make him fall or at least to force him to understand who's the boss.

I have to say I have seen most of them over the years. No wonder they are number two in the world for road deaths. !!

I have to say I have seen most of them over the years. No wonder they are number two in the world for road deaths. !!

They could very well be number one due to under-reporting of road deaths. Heard they don't count it as a road death unless they find you as corpse at the scene of the accident. Die on the way or at the hospital and it's not counted as a road death.

Very good that.

Here's another one:

Yeah, I get that thought often, must accelerate hard past that bike on your inside, then pull over in-front of him and brake hard!

Getting to the junction/corner first is all important.

Particularly if it is a farang.

Edited by jacko