Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 238 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

NFL Shame

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ArO_mSHnPP4XaXhbtWA8QYQ97Ox_;_ylu=X3oDMTBwdm1qNzVjBHNlYwNVSCAzIERlc2t0b3AgU2VhcmNoIDI-;_ylg=X3oDMTByNjk2YjUxBGxhbmcDZW4tVVMEcHQDNAR0ZXN0AzQxMjA1Nw--;_ylv=3;_ylc=X1MDMjE0MjQ3ODk0OARfcgMyBGZyA3VoM19zcG9ydHNfd2ViX2dzBG5fZ3BzAzAEb3JpZ2luA3Nwb3J0cy55YWhvby5jb20EcXVlcnkDcGljdHVyZSBvZiBhZHJpYW4gcGV0ZXJzb24gc29uBHNhbwMx?p=picture+of+adrian+peterson+son&type=2button&fr=uh3_sports_web_gs

The hits keep on coming for the NFL. The latest outrage. Adrian Peterson beats his 4y/o son with a tree branch. He left numerous welts on a 4y/o boy. He sat out one game but will be back next week. He should be suspended for the season and possibly fired. Sad and lame beating a 4y/o.

Well nothing like a little hyperbole but it was bad. It was a whipping to be correct and not a beating.

The photos I saw on TV were taken by the mother a few days after the event. They showed injuries consistent with a small whip being used. Some blood was drawn as there was was scabbing. Welts are very apparent.

Peterson allegedly took a small branch or twig off a tree, stripped the leaves and used it for corporal punishment.

In my day, this was a parental prerogative. Today, whether you are a proponent of corporal punishment or not, this is beyond acceptable.

http://dailysnark.com/pictures-adrian-petersons-sons-beating-wounds-emerge/

Hyperbole even in the link, so I should not be so hard on BigD for going with the mob.

This went beyond corporal punishment, imho. There appears to be rage at play.

As to punishment:

Ray Rice - 2 games and then suddenly a possible lifetime ban? The ban was six for future incidences as established after Rice's initial punishment was announced. The NFL doing a CYA? C'mon man!

Ray McDonald - not charged - yet.

Peterson - not charged and should be allowed life, liberty and pursuit of his lively-hood until he is, at a minimum, charged.

If Peterson did what I see in those pictures, a lifetime ban is not enough to satisfy me.

Both of my two kids got one swat on the butt. My son for running out into traffic at age two or three and my daughter making a beeline for a down escalator as a toddler.

It was a fear reaction on my part. My kids are great adults. No harm no foul. Violence teaches only fear, especially to the degree it appears happened in the photos. I would say a whipping like this leaves psychological scars.

The pictures of the welts on the child were taken 5 days after the whipping. My opinion is Adrian Peterson went over the line. His penalty by the NFL is up to the contract he has with them. I'm sure the players union will see that he doesn't have scabbing welts 5 days later.

It really seems to me like a bit too much.If these guys had ANY other Job, people wouldn't care. If these guys worked at Wal-Mart people would not boycott the store.But they have the job of professional athletes so they have to be held to a higher standard? They are not role models.They play real football. And they help me make money for Pattaya at my favorite Las Vegas sports book on Sunday and occasionally Monday.No doubt some type of investigation needs to be done. By the local authorities, not the NFL. Same with Ray Rice. The issue is between Ray Rice, his now wife, and law enforcement. It is none of the media or NFL's business.

My daughters son was a spoiled brat raised by very permissive parents. He was totally out of control. During a visit, my son told the parents that the boy needed his ass whipped and if they would not do it he would. He took the boy outside and put his belt to him. My daughter was screaming and her husband was too scared to say or do anything. My son said that he would NEVER set foot inside their house again and he never did. Spare the rod and spoil the child. You can't reason with a four year old. All they understand at that age is pain. It's not pleasant to whip a child but sometimes it is necessary. Adrian Peterson cared enough about his child to discipline him. When I was a kid, my parents would make ME go out and cut a GOOD switch off the tree for my whipping.

There was a ditch across the road from my house. There were frogs and other interesting things for little boys to see. Our dog got hit and killed by a car. I took the boy out to look at the dead dog and explained that could happen to him if he tried to cross the road. Did he listen and remember? Hell no. The next time I caught him crossing the road, I had to take off my belt. He DID remember that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It's not necessary to beat kids to instill in them your authority. Say what you mean and follow through in every instance. It's laborious to begin with but it gets easier.

With the situation both you and MLC mention….where a child has done something that's truly frightened you and could have had tragic consequences for them, well then I can understand a panicked parent smacking a toddler……But cold-bloodied cutting off of branches or whipping off your belt to administer a beating…….?? I don't think I could demean myself in that way.

• Upvote 1

There is another allegation of child abuse against this guy. He brutally beat another 4y/o boy. Kid needed stitches over his eye.

The hits keep on coming for the NFL. The latest outrage. Adrian Peterson beats his 4y/o son with a tree branch. He left numerous welts on a 4y/o boy. He sat out one game but will be back next week. He should be suspended for the season and possibly fired. Sad and lame beating a 4y/o.

I thought this topic was about the 49ers ignominious loss to the Chicago Bears Sunday!

• Upvote 1

Just to add a little balance...

The full text of Peterson's statement about the indictment in Texas:

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.

Personally, I'm prepared to give the guy the benefit of doubt. There are two sides to the argument on corporal punishment...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He's a professional football player against a 4 year old child and uses a weapon?

Yes, he IS a child abuser, no matter how strongly he tries to deny it.

2 sides to the story? Benefit of the doubt? The child is FOUR YEARS OLD!!!!!!

Personally, I'm prepared to give the guy the benefit of doubt. There are two sides to the argument on corporal punishment...

Have you viewed the pictures of the welts on the 4y/o boy? Why would you give the benefit of doubt to this brute?

The full text of Peterson's statement about the indictment in Texas:

My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.

I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.

I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.

I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.

I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.

I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.

I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.

"What do I say?"

"Look, we start off by saying I've given you strict instructions not to discuss this. Then we say………."

So the lynch party's position is that Peterson "attacked" his 4 yr old son while yielding a potentially lethal "weapon" with the intent to cause bodily harm. And that there is no way that the episode could not be a case of corporal punishment discipline that got out of hand....

Did he do something wrong? Hell yes. Should he be punished... probably, or at least be exposed to counseling. Is there clear evidence that this is a case of a premeditated assault on a preschool minor with intent that should result in destroying a man's career...

I still remember some of the whoopings I got from my grandmother when I was a kid... and yes, from time to time she drew some blood or left some welts. Was she right or wrong... hell I don't know. Back then she was just another grownup standing in line waiting for her turn behind the school principle and the nuns in the classroom.

Just because we don't agree with someones methods doesn't mean that we can jump to conclusions about their motives....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't have to jump to conclusions.

He is a professional footballer - fact

He beat a small child with a weapon (not lethal as you said) - he admits that

You don't 'accidentally' break off a 'switch' to hit someone with - you actually have considered your actions. It is not an involuntary action, like a reflex.

In his statement he is in denial to the effect of his action and is attempting to justify it to mitigate his punishment - perhaps he should have considered that before he abused his child.

Just because someone has been whooped as a kid 'back in the day and didn't do me any harm' does not mean it was right then and to continue to do in this day and age is to continue the abuse of children.

KM

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the lynch party's position is that Peterson "attacked" his 4 yr old son while yielding a potentially lethal "weapon" with the intent to cause bodily harm. And that there is no way that the episode could not be a case of corporal punishment discipline that got out of hand....

I haven't seen that Peterson is being accused of an arbitrary attack. I thought everyone accepted it was a punishment for some form of misconduct on behalf of his son. And it's only that some people think he went too far……others, that his actions are an acceptable form of discipline and why all the fuss?

Let me make my position clear…...I hate seeing kids lacking respect for their parents. Sometimes its the kids who have the whip-hand because their parents have given up on discipline….. in favour of bribery. I could see an argument saying that those parents are causing more long-lasting damage to the fruit of their loins than Peterson as having a lot of traction too.

Too much 'mercy' for want of a better word is cruelty.

And so is too much discipline…...

Gary and Shilo admit to a 'whooping' when they were young and they both seem perfectly normal, well balanced, adults. No lasting psychological damage was done to them…….So stop polishing your halo atlas.

I suppose in the end we go along with what our parents did…...

My parents never laid a hand on me and in turn I've never laid a hand on my son. We've both survived with our love and respect intact. I suppose that's why I don't think cold-bloodied corporal punishment is necessary.

I can commend Peterson for trying to correct his child's behavior because discipline is necessary, however…… there are ways to instill good behavior, respect and self-discipline in a child, other than by whipping them until blood is drawn.

Those ways may take longer, call for more perseverance and skill. But for me, thrashing your child this way is at best, lazy, sloppy, can't be arsed parenting... where the child suffers twice for your neglect.

Or at worse a vicious abuse of your power over a helpless child.

Edited by atlas2

Do any of you actually believe that you can reason with a four year old? Do you believe that a four year old knows when his life or health is in danger?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Gary, on 17 Sept 2014 - 3:47 PM, said:

Do any of you actually believe that you can reason with a four year old? Do you believe that a four year old knows when his life or health is in danger?

Whipping a 4 year old child with sufficient severity as to draw blood is not the solution.

• Upvote 1

I agree that spanking a child is different than a whipping that causes injury. I went to a Catholic school and the superintendent used a perforated board for discipline. It made some welts but never drew blood. The nuns used a wooden ruler on your hands and that sometimes did draw blood. I preferred the superintendent's "board" of education to the nun's ruler. I don't know of any student who Had any emotional problems from this. You should never discipline a kid when you are angry. It does appear that this guy got carried away. I do feel sorry that this guy got carried away with anger and is now having his life ruined by a bleeding heart lynch mob.

Child abusers kill kids. They fracture bones and sometimes a child's skull. They are the ones who need to go to jail. To call a switch a weapon is just plain stupid.

Edited by Gary
  • Upvote 4

From the dictionary - "A thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage:"

From the old favourite Wikipedia "A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems."

"While just about any ordinary objects such as sticks, stones, cars, or pencils can be used as weapons, many are expressly designed for the purpose"

Not plain stupid to me - or it would seem many others.

KM

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Child abusers kill kids. They fracture bones and sometimes a child's skull. They are the ones who need to go to jail. To call a switch a weapon is just plain stupid.

The other small child this guy beat required stitches over his eye.

• Upvote 1

I'm not giving him a pass for the incident in Texas for which he was indicted, but he could survive it professionally. This other report, if it is accurate, is the one which could end his football career.

The sharks are circling. I'd bet that his woman is after a settlement. How did the child get his eye injured? Did Peterson hit him with his fist or maybe a weapon like a switch?

And you have the nerve to accuse me of posting bullshit. :clueless

• Upvote 1