Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Well done Europe for another great Ryder cup victory 2014

Sad, very sad; but it was great golf that I could not turn away from as painful as it was to watch....

Congratulations to Team Europe!

The European Team played significantly better as mathematically reported by Nick Faldo, it was something like 110 or so under par for the European Team vs. 70 something for the USA Team.

During the first two days, too many putts came up short which puzzles me as in match play, a bogey or double bogey is usually still the loss of the hole...

Since Jack Nicklaus recommended the Ryder Cup expand beyond England and Ireland to become a European team, the USA has had a tough time and/or the PGA Tour of America needs to modify their processes.

Interestingly, for the "Royal Trophy" bi-annual matches between Europe and Asia, Asia has won one and tied one since it's inception in 2006 which you'd have to go back to 1999 to get two wins from USA. The European team members are definitely doing something right for match play and these team events.

Well, in two years, I hope Team USA can make it more competitive.

Enjoy.

Edited by losgrad
  • Upvote 1

I went right off Michelson attacking Watson so publicly.

Just as I always support Mahan against any neutral after his tears of disappointment last time……..I'm afraid Phil will have to suffer the the fist of atlas being shaken at the screen as I shout 'Ope you bloody miss!'

I went right off Michelson attacking Watson so publicly.

Just as I always support Mahan against any neutral after his tears of disappointment last time……..I'm afraid Phil will have to suffer the the fist of atlas being shaken at the screen as I shout 'Ope you bloody miss!'

Yes i agree , this should be done in private and without any leaks to the press , he has certainly gone down a few notches in my book......!

It was nice to see well behaved fans, cheering good shots from either side. That's in the spirit of golf. Hopefully the US fans will take note for next time, I'm not holding my breath though.

I just wish they could catch that loonie who, in an American accent, keeps shouting "get in the hole" on 400 yard plus par 4s.

• 4 years later...

It was nice to see well behaved fans, cheering good shots from either side. That's in the spirit of golf. Hopefully the US fans will take note for next time, I'm not holding my breath though.

I just wish they could catch that loonie who, in an American accent, keeps shouting "get in the hole" on 400 yard plus par 4s.

We were not watching the same broadcast. I heard a lot of booing and catcalling of Americans on day one.

The Ryder Cup is a great competition and makes good TV.....even though I don't particular care which side wins. Since Luke Donald finished up I don't have a hero to follow......Just enjoy the ebb and flow....though mostly 'ebb' this time around. Having said that I quite like watching 'The Postman' over perform and deliver.

Noticed a post from me just above from the last Ryder cup....Regarding Mickelson's public criticism of Watson.. I'd forgotten about it and didn't shake my fist at Mickelson this time. I didn't need to..... he isn't the player he used to be. Felt sorry for him.

Noticed Reed has come out this year against his Captain Furic and Speith not wanting to partner him.

Good to see Tiger back.......(although not quite back at his best).....and also that he wasn't over presented here. I used to get fed-up with his every step being followed while other more crucial games and players were ignored....His RC record remains hardly impressive.

One point came over......The course they played was tricky and didn't over-reward the long blasters. Perhaps favoured the Europeans.....Like to have seen how Luke would have done on it.

Oh well hope I'm here for the next one.

Edited by atlas2

The Ryder Cup is a great competition and makes good TV.....even though I don't particular care which side wins. Since Luke Donald finished up I don't have a hero to follow......Just enjoy the ebb and flow....though mostly 'ebb' this time around. Having said that I quite like watching 'The Postman' over perform and deliver.

Noticed a post from me just above from the last Ryder cup....Regarding Mickelson's public criticism of Watson.. I'd forgotten about it and didn't shake my fist at Mickelson this time. I didn't need to..... he isn't the player he used to be. Felt sorry for him.

Noticed Reed has come out this year against his Captain Furic and Speith not wanting to partner him.

Good to see Tiger back.......(although not quite back at his best).....and also that he wasn't over presented here. I used to get fed-up with his every step being followed while other more crucial games and players were ignored....His RC record remains hardly impressive.

One point came over......The course they played was tricky and didn't over-reward the long blasters. Perhaps favoured the Europeans.....Like to have seen how Luke would have done on it.

Oh well hope I'm here for the next one.

I think this course was great. It put a premium on shot making. It was real golf and awarded complete players.

Yes, Phil is closer to the senior tour with every swing.

Reed is known to be....well here is an article that you might find illuminating...I am not from Texas but Speith is.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/patrick-reed-masters-popularity-why-do-so-many-fans-hate-him

I would have liked to have seen Donald as well.

I did hear some negatives from the crowds toward Americans but, all things considered though, I think the American verbal abuse of Colin Montgomery years ago means we reap what we sowed. It will take an amazing display of sportsmanship by my country to even those scales.

Population of Europe is over 700 million, a bit over 300 million for USA. Does not surprise me that Europe would have a better team. After Brexit will the UK get to crow about European victories ?

Population of Europe is over 700 million, a bit over 300 million for USA. Does not surprise me that Europe would have a better team. After Brexit will the UK get to crow about European victories ?

Cant do the stats that way.........

Go on players in Europe and players in US.........You might be very surprised.

Europe 2016 Reg Golfers 4.19 million

USA 2016 Reg Golfers 24 million

Edited by atlas2

I bet a lot of the European golfers had their golf skills sharpened in US colleges...and owe the US a debt for that. Haven't checked 'cause who cares! but Rham who's Spanish sounds very American.

I know Luke Donald had a scholarship there......

Bet'cha a lot of Asian golfers owe their success to US colleges too.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

I bet a lot of the European golfers had their golf skills sharpened in US colleges...and owe the US a debt for that. Haven't checked 'cause who cares! but Rham who's Spanish sounds very American.

I know Luke Donald had a scholarship there.....

It was American money and American TV that popularized Golf to the world wide competition it is today. Without the Americans it would still be a stuffy game, solely for the upper class elite. This isn't soccer so the thuggish attitude of the Europeans isn't needed or appreciated. The EU is just a step away from Uber Alles mentality, it would seem. EU nbr 1 EU nbr 1, yada yada yada

Im not sure if Americans invented the game or TV for that matter but....But yes golf as a spectator sport undoubtedly owes a lot to America.. And as you say they have popularised it too ....5 Americans play the game for every European it seems.

Im out at the moment but when I've time.... or perhaps 'Jonpat' you could check for me how many of the worlds top 30 players were in the Us team and how that compares to the European team??

Also how many of this year's world majors were won by Americans compared to European?

I wouldnt be surprised given the result if it was many more European players???

Edited by atlas2

Hi,

I said to a chap who was watching it with me that Mickelson would put the ball into the water. He knew they'd lost and wanted to go home.

Cant do the stats that way.........

Go on players in Europe and players in US.........You might be very surprised.

Europe 2016 Reg Golfers 4.19 million

USA 2016 Reg Golfers 24 million

I know Luke Donald had a scholarship there......

It was American money and American TV that popularized Golf to the world wide competition it is today. Without the Americans it would still be a stuffy game, solely for the upper class elite. This isn't soccer so the thuggish attitude of the Europeans isn't needed or appreciated. The EU is just a step away from Uber Alles mentality, it would seem. EU nbr 1 EU nbr 1, yada yada yada

Im not sure if Americans invented the game or TV for that matter but....But yes golf as a spectator sport undoubtedly owes a lot to America.. And as you say they have popularised it too ....5 Americans play the game for every European it seems.

Im out at the moment but when I've time.... or perhaps 'Jonpat' you could check for me how many of the worlds top 30 players were in the Us team and how that compares to the European team??

Also how many of this year's world majors were won by Americans compared to European?

I wouldnt be surprised given the result if it was many more European players???

Well odd bodkins and stab me vitals.....!!

I was very surprised to see that on the World rankings going into the Ryder Cup.........15 of the world's to 30 golfers were American and only 9 from Europe.

Also 3 out of the 4 majors were won by Reed and Koepka.

Here's the money list.........Just 1 European in it. 8 Americans and an Aussie.

Rank Player Country Events Prize money ($)

1 Justin Thomas United States 23 8,694,821

2 Dustin Johnson United States 20 8,457,352

3 Justin Rose England 18 8,130,678

4 Bryson DeChambeau United States 26 8,094,489.

5 Brooks Koepka United States 17 7,094,047

6 Bubba Watson United States 24 5,793,748

7 Tony Finau United States 28 5,620,138

8 Tiger Woods United States 18 5,443,841

9 Webb Simpson United States 26 5,376,417

10 Jason Day Australia 20 5,087,461

I completely agree with Jonpat's condemnation of any booing that happened, or if balls going into the water were unsportingly cheered........I hate that.

However.......

Comparing or mistaking the Icelandic chant for a Nazi one.....Was uncalled for. Also it's unsporting and just sour grapes to make, (as I've shown in my posts above), what are ridiculous and untrue excuses for your loss. ......You lose twice when you do that. The USA players were all gentlemen.......

It's only your attitude that's 'teed me off"

Edited by atlas2

If there are British players on the team yes, I believe 6 out of 13 were this year.... you understand that Brexit does nor require Britain to be towed further out into the Atlantic? (Yet......)

Edited by jacko