Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Fault in the PCX bikes ?

I am renting a bike from http://kessayamotorbikerentals.com as many times before and I am pleased with the service and prices I get from Mark

This time it is a PCX150 and it is running very well - but the "Idling Stop" is not working. I asked Mark about it and said said he had disabled this on all the PCX he had since the function ruined the batteries.

I have never heard of this but think that my fellow boardies should be informed so they also can avoid ruining their batteries. I do miss the function a little and think it is pretty unlike Honda to keep a defect function on their bikes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes this thread does have legs and not just on this board. Mark of Kessaya is a top notch guy - he provides good bikes at a great price - hired off him for years he goes out of his way to be helpful

Silliness. I own a PCX, drive it every day, always turn on the idle-stop feature. I consider it a useful and welcome feature on the bike. I've never had any problems with the battery or the featur

Sounds like another conspiracy theory.

I had one for over a year... used the heck out of it, and never had a battery issue.

I think there is no issue... other than batteries in Thailand do seem to need replacing every year or 2. But thats on almost all bikes, not just the PCX

Never heard of such a thing, and it won't modify my use of this superb feature one bit.

I'd venture to say that the money I save on gasoline while I would normally be idling, would pay for a new battery easily over the course of the battery's life.

I have no idea what he could mean about "ruining the batteries". When they fail to hold a charge, it's time to replace them. Is that ruined? Yeah, I suppose so.

I find the feature a pain , can see why he's done away with it ,

As for the cost of the battery , well it comes out the owners pocket , so up to them ,

Joe

I agree it is his choice since it is his bike.

As for not liking the function there is a factory installed switch so you can choose if you want it active or not (not anymore on his PCX'es).

Sendt fra min HTC Desire S med Tapatalk2

• Upvote 1

I have no idea what he could mean about "ruining the batteries". When they fail to hold a charge, it's time to replace them. Is that ruined? Yeah, I suppose so.

Yes - when it can no longer hold a reasonable charge I would call it worn out if it was 4-5 years old and ruined if much newer than that.

Aparently his experience with the battery life is that the "idle stop" significantly reduces it.

Yes - when it can no longer hold a reasonable charge I would call it worn out if it was 4-5 years old and ruined if much newer than that.

Aparently his experience with the battery life is that the "idle stop" significantly reduces it.

That sounds reasonable, since when you are stopped, the lights and electrics keep running off the battery, while the alternator is not running to charge the battery.

My experience has not led me to believe that is a problem.

I agree it is his choice since it is his bike.

As for not liking the function there is a factory installed switch so you can choose if you want it active or not (not anymore on his PCX'es).

yes aware of that , yes he's removed the choice

but if I was hiring out the bike , and the function cost me cash I would do the same ,

I take it you ask the question out of idle curiously ?

Joe

Edited by gs joe

yes aware of that , yes he's removed the choice

but if I was hiring out the bike , and the function cost me cash I would do the same ,

I take it you ask the question out of idle curiously ?

Joe

Cute pun.

The thing is, he's costing the customer money in gas bills.

To date, I've never heard such a wacky complaint about the PCX.

ODENSE, I recommend you rent from someone else if you don't like the guy disabling a useful feature of the bike you're paying a premium for.

Cute pun.

The thing is, he's costing the customer money in gas bills.

To date, I've never heard such a wacky complaint about the PCX.

ODENSE, I recommend you rent from someone else if you don't like the guy disabling a useful feature of the bike you're paying a premium for.

Come on how much cost , the guys hire cost are low , and removing the feature will not effect the overall fun of the bike ,

Joe

Edited by gs joe

I think the problem is that the batteries being used are not deep discharge batteries. Deep discharge a standard lead-acid battery and you will kill it very quickly. lead-acid batteries are intended to be kept fully charged, but if you have some serious stop and go, you will discharge the battery. Sounds like Honda hadn't anticipated the traffic congestion in Pattaya.

I think the problem is that the batteries being used are not deep discharge batteries. Deep discharge a standard lead-acid battery and you will kill it very quickly. lead-acid batteries are intended to be kept fully charged, but if you have some serious stop and go, you will discharge the battery. Sounds like Honda hadn't anticipated the traffic congestion in Pattaya.

Or the bike rental people switched out the good Honda battery and put in a shit one.

Why ?

Joe

Because they are expensive and the idle stop feature fucks them up?

• Upvote 1

Silliness.

I own a PCX, drive it every day, always turn on the idle-stop feature.

I consider it a useful and welcome feature on the bike.

I've never had any problems with the battery or the feature.

I'm so lucky.

• Upvote 2

Asians are funny about their batteries. In Japan cars are equipped with dinky little running lights. They turn those on in the late evening, when it isn't dark enough (they reckon) to turn on the headlights but still darker than mid-day. The reason is they don't want to put too much strain on their batteries, which doesn't make much sense to me.

In Canada we run with our lights on all the time, for insurance purposes (which may be a bit weird too).

I don't care about the microscopic gas saving. I just like that there are no engine vibrations when there doesn't need to be. I would even pay a little extra to pay for the increased battery wear.

I like the prices and service at Kessaya so will probably continue renting there. I will however rent his other bikes at half the price - since - without the idle stop - I like them just as much as the PCX150.

If I decide I want a PCX I will rent at another place.

Edited by Odense

Aside from running lights during idle it another start of the engine the battery has to make. It may shorten the battery life but not by much. I have had my pcx for a year and use it all the time, i'll probably change the battery at year two just for basic maintenance

Aside from running lights during idle it another start of the engine the battery has to make. It may shorten the battery life but not by much. I have had my pcx for a year and use it all the time, i'll probably change the battery at year two just for basic maintenance

I wonder if his disabling of the idle stop feature is based on actual first hand experience with having problems, or 2nd hand reports of problems, or just a theoretical pondering of the effects of running electrics off the battery while not charging.

It seems the small sampling of those of us who have PCXs have not experienced any such problems.

I'm sticking with my BIG OIL theory.