Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Car Rental for Thailand Road Trip

On my next trip I'm considering renting a car. After a few weeks in Pattaya I'd like to road trip to Phuket via Hua Hin. I've been to Phuket several times but never Hua Hin. I'm wonder how feasible it is with a GPS and NOT being able to speak Thai. Right now I'm just looking for some input on things I should plan for or if it is to risky and I should just forget about it altogether.

Thanks,

DW

I'd say go for it. Speaking Thai isn't essential. Gas stations can figure out of you want a full tank, even if you can't say "full" in Thai.

Taking a Thai lady companion for the trip would be another possibility in case you had an emergency.

The roads to Hua Hin and Phuket are decent, not rural village style, so driving shouldn't be any problem.

GPS has been a major improvement in getting around in Thailand, even if you don't speak the language.

I use Google Maps on my iPad in the car, and it took away some of the stresses of finding your way around when there aren't many signs, and no one understands where you want to go.

Just be careful driving, rules here are different, and not always followed.

Be sure to film the trip. Should be an hilarious movie.

Coming from someone who thinks crossing Thappraya road from Pattaya into Jomtien is "too far", that's a ridiculous comment.

Do it. You will not have any problems and the route to Hua Hin is very straightforward, even without GPS. Stay out of central Bangkok until you are fully familiar with driving here as the one ways and u turns are very confusing. For HH you stay south of Bangkok on motorways and good dual carriageways.

Posted from my phone using predictive text, please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.

Thanks for the input. I’ve thought about taking a companion. It has it pros and cons. Having a translator would be very helpful but could be inconvenient while checking out the nightlife.

It’s good to hear GPS has improved so much. Having GPS makes a big difference. I’ve used it on my phone to get around outside of Pattaya and all around Phuket Island. My last trip to Phuket I never lost the cell phone signal, lost 3G a few times but was always able to update my location. It really opens things up for the average person, but for a rental car I would prefer to have Garmin.

It looks like one day from Pattaya to Hua Hin. Google maps has it listed as a 4 hour drive, but I don’t think it’s taking traffic into account.

Hua Hin to Phuket is listed as 8 hours so I’m planning on 2 days with an overnight somewhere. Don’t know if I will take the eastern route through Surat Thani or western route along the Andaman Sea.

The rental cost doesn’t seem to bad. I’m somewhat use to driving on the left side of the road, but having the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle will take some getting use to. I could get a manual transmission cheaper, but I will stick with an automatic. I’ve driven stick my whole life including my present truck, but I don’t think I will have the time to really get use to shifting with the left hand.

post-19339-0-51382700-1418234998_thumb.jpg

I would also think 4 maybe 5 hours sufficient time to drive Pattaya to Hua Hin, as stated previously it is all motorways and good dual carriageway. I don't think you will have much traffic providing you don't do the stretch to the south of Bangkok at 5pm or on a public holiday. Leave Pattaya at 10am on a weekday and enjoy the ride.

PS. Your car looks expensive. I usually pay around 1000 baht per day all in however I appreciate that you may have chosen the luxury option.

Posted from my phone using predictive text, please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.

I always hire a car when in Thailand getting from Pattaya to Bangkok is easy then from there to Hua Hin is pretty straightforward if you get lost (I have many times) I just flag down a taxi and get him to put me in the right direction.I have never had a driver refuse to help me,so presume it's a common occurrence for them.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to bring the thread full circle. I have completed the drive from Pattaya to Patong with no issues. I bought a Garmin 42 directly from ESRI Thailand in Bangkok for THB 2,990. Rented a 4-door Totoya Altis, THB 14,916.52 for 9 days, which included full insurance coverage and tax. Unlike motorbike rentals they do require and make a copy of your International Driving Permit with your home country drivers license.

The worst traffic the whole trip was leaving Pattaya. Took the southern route around Bangkok about 11 am on the elevated freeway, traffic was moderate and kept moving at a steady clip. Noticed the east bound lanes where slow and at a stand still quiet a bit. After clearing Bangkok it was an easy and enjoyable drive with no heavy traffic again until central Phuket. Spent 3 nights in Hua Hin, 2 nights in Ranong and 2 nights in Khao Lak. As MM stated in an early post the route is well marked with large modern travel plazas along the way. The trip can probably be completed using a standard road map, but the GPS was helpful getting to my hotel and around town, knowing the ETA was also convenient.

Overall it was a relaxing and enjoyable drive. Anyone who has the interest and time should go for it. Thanks to the members who encouraged me to make the trip.

DW

• Upvote 3