Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

renew drivers license

I went today to renew my drivers license here in Chiang Rai, all I needed was a copy of my passport and visa page, copy of my house book and a photo that they took there. I went in and they checked my eyes and brake reaction time, then they put me in a room and played a 90 minute video on how to drive in Thailand the Thai's called it drivers school, when the video was done I paid 605 baht got my photo taken and got my new licence. Has anyone else had to watch that video or is it something new.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I had my renewal appointment today. My appointment was scheduled for 2:30pm, I arrived around 2:15pm. I went inside and they told me to go to the desk outside in the parking lot. From the entrance,

The address is on mine, it's written in Thai in the middle of the licence in the back of the licence ?  Mine is 4 years old now, the person who told me was a farang immigration guy.   Immigration k

Lol same as me, also I renewed my passport so that's wrong also... Still my name is correct   In UK it's an offence to have an incorrect address on DL,

I went today to renew my drivers license here in Chiang Rai, all I needed was a copy of my passport and visa page, copy of my house book and a photo that they took there. I went in and they checked my eyes and brake reaction time, then they put me in a room and played a 90 minute video on how to drive in Thailand the Thai's called it drivers school, when the video was done I paid 605 baht got my photo taken and got my new licence. Has anyone else had to watch that video or is it something new.

I don't know if it was "that" video, but last time I renewed my license 3 years ago, I had to watch a long video of some Thai driving morality story.

I doubt many Thai drivers have watched that video or if they have they never learned anything from it.............. :D

Yeah I got stuck in a room watching a video when I renewed my 5 year licence.

I was called out before it finished and felt they had put me in there to be out of the way until things were ready.

• Upvote 1

They put that same video on when i renewed mine last month. Most were too busy playing on their smart phones, 2 guys were snoring. we did peripheral vision and color tests. No brake reaction time or depth of field tests. The place was so packed they probably didn't have the time

I do not have a problem - they won't give me a driving license because I am to old - good excuse not to become another statistic

Is there an upper age limit on being able to get a Thai license?

I know someone who is 82 years young and he got his license renewed in Patt's 18 months ago.....!

I only know that when I moved here aged 80 and went to get a Thai license , i was told that they did not issue to people aged over 75 - Maybe renewal is different

I only know that when I moved here aged 80 and went to get a Thai license , i was told that they did not issue to people aged over 75 - Maybe renewal is different

I think you are right , if you have a license before the age of 75 they have to renew it for you every 5 years if you still want to drive.......... :thumbup

• 2 months later...

I went to the Pattaya office yesterday, with house documents, passport and relevant copies. They said "need residence certificate, go to Soi 5 Jomtien.

So I did. Now going back for my DL on Monday morning....

300 baht for immigration for the residency certificate that is given with your house papers..what a scam it is.

I think Soi 5 insisted I needed 2 residency letters last time I went, as of course I was renewing 2 licences.

Another BS scam!

I like it how to renew your license you need to prove your address and to prove your address you just need to show them your old license…... :frustrated1:

I was actually feeling quite content watching that silly video, sitting in the back of the room, as I knew it would be issued my renewed licenses after that. No need to go through the same idiotic procedure with Immigration and the licensing center until February 2021. :thumbup

• Upvote 1

I like it how to renew your license you need to prove your address and to prove your address you just need to show them your old license…... :frustrated1:

I moved condo and went to immigration to ask if I need to inform the licence centre , I was advised no need to, also people's passport numbers after a few years could well be out of sync with the number on the licence.

I have always found the licence centre and indeed immigration easy to work with, with the correct papers no problems.

I moved condo and went to immigration to ask if I need to inform the licence centre , I was advised no need to, also people's passport numbers after a few years could well be out of sync with the number on the licence.

I have always found the licence centre and indeed immigration easy to work with, with the correct papers no problems.

LOL and yet they insist on a residency certificate when you get the license..even though your address is not on the license, and if you move, you don't need to inform them.

I can't see the logic in that.

LOL and yet they insist on a residency certificate when you get the license..even though your address is not on the license, and if you move, you don't need to inform them.

I can't see the logic in that.

The address is on mine, it's written in Thai in the middle of the licence in the back of the licence ?

Mine is 4 years old now, the person who told me was a farang immigration guy.

Immigration know my address but a traffic officer would have the wrong address if he went by my licence, I wonder if the traffic office would advise changing it ?

Edited by Parkwahn
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The address is on mine, it's written in Thai in the middle of the licence in the back of the licence ?

Mine is 4 years old now, the person who told me was a farang immigration guy.

Immigration know my address but a traffic officer would have the wrong address if he went by my licence, I wonder if the traffic office would advise changing it ?

Oh yeah...there it is..and it's not my current address. It's in very small type, but that is definitely my old address.

Oh yeah...there it is..and it's not my current address. It's in very small type, but that is definitely my old address.

Lol same as me, also I renewed my passport so that's wrong also... Still my name is correct

In UK it's an offence to have an incorrect address on DL,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Both my 5 year ones are up for renewal in December .I visit every year for the winter 6 months now on a treble entry 60 day holiday visit visa when.I originally got it I was on a multi o visas but they wont issue that visa to me as we are not married .I have a yellow book for my house.will they issue me again for 5 years on this visa? thanks