Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

renew drivers license

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I had my renewal appointment today. My appointment was scheduled for 2:30pm, I arrived around 2:15pm. I went inside and they told me to go to the desk outside in the parking lot. From the entrance,

The address is on mine, it's written in Thai in the middle of the licence in the back of the licence ?  Mine is 4 years old now, the person who told me was a farang immigration guy.   Immigration k

Lol same as me, also I renewed my passport so that's wrong also... Still my name is correct   In UK it's an offence to have an incorrect address on DL,

I'm pretty sure you need a 1 year visa to get a 5 year licence.

Nearly. You need a non-Imm visa or a 1-year extension to get a 5-years licence.

I have heard the temporary licence is now for 2 years.

Yes. Seems like recent temporary licences are valid 2 years

and do not depend anymore of your birthday date.

No change that I know about 5-years licences.

I understand you can now renew a month early, I had been told you had to wait for it to expire ?

Who knows ?

You always could I think. Last time i renewed i queried one of the fees and was told that is fine for not renewing before the old one expired, TIT

• 3 years later...

Im there now..... very busy after the Thai closures for the king.
Being on the 13th my birthday coincides. Because of the anticipated crush I used a company this time. Tik Toc Services In jomtien.
Sooo.... glad I did.

Apart from sorting the immigration letter without me needing to do it..... they dealt with all the confusion when you get here.
No stress with getting numbers and what happens next which on a normal day I've handled myself.... Today without any thought as to collating all the paperwork, the queues and number slips.....Or even getting here, I was picked up at 7.....So I only had the stress of a colour-blindness test and the depth perception test. Which I bravely completed alone.....

It was so busy I'm sure Id have had to come back tomorrow had I not been a little advantaged queue wise.

Thoroughly recommend this company.
3000 all in for both licenses
Worth it to me.

Edit: It was 3000 per license ..........That's quite a difference.

Going a few days after my birthday I got 6 years......If I make it to 72 I doubt I'll renew the motor cycle license again.....I've only driven a bike, ( a girl's bike), a few times since I've lived here. Thought it prudent to keep one current........ but at 72??

Edited by atlas2
  • 3 months later...

My thai better half has just informed of 10 license. Never heard of it anyone if it is thai only not ex-pats?

I saw the thought of license app that was stop but not this. any info welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I too was sitting through the video. After 20 or 25 minutes a lady who works there asked me if I understood Thai. I told he that I did not and she took me out of the room to get my reflexes checked. That wasn't a problem and I got my new license. All in all not a difficult deal.

Thing that seemed odd was that going from the two year license to the first five year licence, there was no suggestion of watching the video.  It was going in the next toom.

3 minutes ago, sailingbill said:

Also recommend Tic Toc,  passed the depth perception test only by blind luck. Asked what will happen in 2 years when i get that license and i cannot pass it." It will be ok."

I failed the first one and was fearful of doing it again as he said I would have to go home and return tomorrow! Later I chatted with a guy who said he spotted a light that comes on when the rods are aligned. 

I heard  that and about the shadows.  But i could. not see that. I  have never had binocular vision and thus no depth perception. I was a pretty good student pilot until a night landing and was going to slam the plane from 20 feet. The IP knew the problem and told me to look out the side window to get my bearings.  Ok with all that fluff just wanted to bury that an agency can make this problem go away.    I did not want to say it to loudly.

5 years ago I was last in line to take the depth perception test......having earlier reluctantly agreed that 'orange' (the worn out battered and faded 'red' disc that was the easiest for the tester to repeatedly bash over the years),  was the same as the pristine red discs below that he pointed to every time I said 'Orange' to the knackered colours above......

My normal confidence was shaken and I was very nervous when it came to the 'depth perception test'. Being last for this test the nervousness just continued to build......But, 'as cunning as a fox who was the professor of cunning at Oxford university,' I managed to move myself behind the seated test takers and that way got plenty of free goes .....My confidence was completely restored until........The guy 2nd from last whispered from his chair that he was, 'as blind as a bat' and for me to nudge him when I thought they were aligned. 'Gulp'............Frightened of letting the guy down and being thrown out for cheating, all my nerves returned...........

If anyone asks me that again Im pretending I'm deaf.

• 3 months later...

Just finish renewing wife drivers license the first of June. she ask the powers at be in pattaya  office about falang

husband DL. She was told can renew 3 months early and all that is needed now is copy of o-visa and picture page of passport.

I find this hard to believe but will find out in December. i will take house book. Anyone confirm this ??

11 hours ago, aj said:

Just finish renewing wife drivers license the first of June. she ask the powers at be in pattaya  office about falang

husband DL. She was told can renew 3 months early and all that is needed now is copy of o-visa and picture page of passport.

I find this hard to believe but will find out in December. i will take house book. Anyone confirm this ??

I wouldn't believe it either, a certificate of residence from immigration is very likely. Look to my posts about a year ago. (When I did mine)

Edited by jacko
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, aj said:

how long is medical cert good for? 2-3 days or7 days or 24 hours anyone no

first time for me to have to get medical cert.

Not sure, always best to make use of it as soon as possible. I would expect next day to be no issue. 

17 hours ago, sandancer said:

Just renewed my 5 year license last month. The Pattaya expats website has a comprehensive list of what you need. Best to get there very early as I arrived 8.15 and was number 30 in the farang queue, didn't get finished until 2.15.

I arrived before they opened, but the girl upstairs checking things decided she wanted a copy of something else. By the time I returned and had the paperwork accepted the morning group was full, and I had to come back in the PM.  I was there until about 3pm. 

last time I renewd only got 2 years
, will not bother any more but my wifr saids if I get name on house book will get thev5 years even though only have 60 visa?

Sound right to you knowledgable gents

21 minutes ago, Kev said:

Sound right to you knowledgable gents

One never knows, I thought one had to have a Non-Imm-O or Extension to get the 5 year licence.