Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

renew drivers license

31 minutes ago, Olded said:

The last time I renewed my license I got a 10 year renew, first time I got 1 year second time 5 years and last time I got 10 year license.

In Thailand?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I had my renewal appointment today. My appointment was scheduled for 2:30pm, I arrived around 2:15pm. I went inside and they told me to go to the desk outside in the parking lot. From the entrance,

The address is on mine, it's written in Thai in the middle of the licence in the back of the licence ?  Mine is 4 years old now, the person who told me was a farang immigration guy.   Immigration k

Lol same as me, also I renewed my passport so that's wrong also... Still my name is correct   In UK it's an offence to have an incorrect address on DL,

When I renewed my 5 year last Nov out on route 36 I only had a tourist visa and they would only give me a 2 year. 

• 5 months later...

? if driver lenience expires during lock-down/ office closed how long to renew?

Will you have to take entire test over like first time?

11 hours ago, aj said:

? if driver lenience expires during lock-down/ office closed how long to renew?

Will you have to take entire test over like first time?

You won't have to renew until after the state of emergency in Thailand is lifted.

No new driver’s license until Emergency Decree ends

Those with an expired driver’s license from 2 January 2020 to the date when the emergency decree ends will have an extension as long as Thailand is still in an emergency state. The DLT has notified the Royal Thai Police and the Office of Insurance Commission to allow those with an expired driver’s license since 2 January 2020 to continue driving on the road. The Insurance Commission will make sure that those with insurance will be able to claim the costs in case of an accident provided that you are driving the type of vehicle as registered in the driver’s license. For example, a Private Car Driving License, a Taxi Driving License, and etc.

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2014 at 8:53 PM, Olded said:

I went today to renew my drivers license here in Chiang Rai, all I needed was a copy of my passport and visa page, copy of my house book and a photo that they took there. I went in and they checked my eyes and brake reaction time, then they put me in a room and played a 90 minute video on how to drive in Thailand the Thai's called it drivers school, when the video was done I paid 605 baht got my photo taken and got my new licence. Has anyone else had to watch that video or is it something new.

I went today and got a new drivers licence again, everything was the same but no brake reaction test but had two eye color test and had to watch that video again. I only payed 505 bath this time.

I just renewed mine (4 wheel and motorcycle) in Rayong.  They're absolutely swamped here.  I went in a few weeks before my current licenses expired and they said the first date I could start the process was a month later - after my licenses expired.  I came back on that date, they processed my paperwork and told me the first opening for the video and eye tests was in several weeks, or I could do them at a driving school.

I went to a driving school that evening and did it there.  200 Baht for each license.  The film was 45 minutes and the reaction time/eye tests another fifteen.  They scan your thumb print and said I had to be scanned out after two hours as I was doing two licenses, but I could leave and come back.  I had my kindle so I just hung around and read.

The next day to immigration for residence certs then finished up at the transport office.  All three visits there the place was packed.  My previous renewal was upcountry and only took a couple hours total.

Oh well, as I got them after my previous licenses expired  they're effectively good for six years.  860 Baht + 400 for the school + 500 for the residence certificates.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know the best day and time to get residence certificate from Jomtien immigration?

Also, the Land Transport Office needs two certificates, is it sufficient to simply copy them or do they include a picture on it so it needs to be an original?

8 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Does anyone know the best day and time to get residence certificate from Jomtien immigration?

Also, the Land Transport Office needs two certificates, is it sufficient to simply copy them or do they include a picture on it so it needs to be an original?

Usual advice is midweek about 10am..... avoid days after a holiday.

I have used a single original Residence Certificate every time for 2 licences, renewed at the same time... although Jomtien try to sell you two.. 

2 hours ago, jacko said:

Usual advice is midweek about 10am..... avoid days after a holiday.

I have used a single original Residence Certificate every time for 2 licences, renewed at the same time... although Jomtien try to sell you two.. 

Thanks. I wasn't sure if late morning or early afternoon was best.

In case anyone is curious, because of Covid, you now need an appointment to renew your DL. I went to the DLT yesterday Nov 22 and the first available appointment was Dec 3. Because I am renewing my five year, I had to watch a video online at www.dlt-elearning.com.

The video is one hour long, mostly in Thai language with English subtitles and a bit of spoken English. It pauses every 15 minutes to make sure you are there and will pause if the focus is taken away from the browser playing it. There really isn't anything in the video you need to know for the three/four question "test" except maybe you need to indicate your turns at least 30 meters before you turn. The other questions had obvious answers. When finished the "test", you get a page you can print (or screen shot if done on your phone).

It looks like you can make an appointment from that website as well, but when I went to the page, it went straight to the video.

• Like 1

So I got my residence certificates today and it was a pain in the ass. I really think things a worse now because of the Covid social distancings.

I arrived this morning (Wednesday) around 10:10. The outdoor queue was about 15 minutes. When I got to the information desk, he handed me a form to fill out and said "come back at 1".

Around 1:10, the queue was much longer...at least 30 minutes to get back to the information desk where he handed me a queue number and told me to wait outside for 30 minutes.

The queue number I had was 9A080 (Queue 9, number 80). They were just working on 67 when i got the number. It took FOREVER to get called. I noticed the processing times per number varied. Some were quite short, while others were long. I figure the long ones were from agents doing many at once.

Anyhow, after about an hour wait for my  number, I gave my documents, she told me I needed "two", one per license, I didn't argue, and gave her a third photo (1 photo plus one per certificate). She gave me a plastic queue number and told me it will be ready after 4pm.

Back at 4pm and it was ready as promised. However, what I saw where people who were JUST handing in their filled out forms and told it would be ready at 5pm (I thought they closed at 4:30, but I guess that's new business). If I were to do it again, I would go in after 3pm to start the whole process and suspect get it done the same day in less time than I took today.

12 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

Back at 4pm and it was ready as promised. However, what I saw where people who were JUST handing in their filled out forms and told it would be ready at 5pm (I thought they closed at 4:30, but I guess that's new business). If I were to do it again, I would go in after 3pm to start the whole process and suspect get it done the same day in less time than I took today.

Perhaps I misled you... but I live well out of town to the North and have always preferred getting things done in the A.M.... travelling home in school traffic and the likelihood of being told 'come back tomorrow' being the reasons. I see they are managing to foist the need to pay for 2 certificates on you... a money making exercise for a service that has no official price... it is not so long since I achieved 2 licences with a single residence certificate. 

I have 2 jobs I will be needing to do there in December and I certainly do not look forward to it.. even tempted to get an agent myself.

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I have 2 jobs I will be needing to do there in December and I certainly do not look forward to it.. even tempted to get an agent myself.

I use tic toc. at 3k it is very expensive compared to the actual fee. But im not riding my little 150cc out there. They pick me up at the Condo, Tell me to sit over there and they will call you for your photo. They stand in line and obtain the medical and Residence Certs., pay the fees.  Considering every 5 years well worth it.  Though i turn 70y/o next year and may hang up my helmet in 4 years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sailingbill said:

I use tic toc. at 3k it is very expensive compared to the actual fee. But im not riding my little 150cc out there. They pick me up at the Condo, Tell me to sit over there and they will call you for your photo. They stand in line and obtain the medical and Residence Certs., pay the fees.  Considering every 5 years well worth it.  Though i turn 70y/o next year and may hang up my helmet in 4 years.

When I talked with Tik Tok, she quoted me 5,000. Further, I got the feeling it wasn't actually her doing it. I think she is simply a middle man. Another place quoted me the same price. Tik Tok told me they go every Mon-Friday as a group. She told me they would send the driver the next day to bring me to make the appointment at the Land Transport Office. Personally, I hate being stuck in a van that drives around the city picking people up. That's when I decided to do it myself. 

Edit: The 5,000 is broken down to 3,500 for one license, +500 for the second license, +1000 for the residence certificate. Not sure if the 3500 includes the photos, but it does include transportation, medical certificate(s) and Land Transport Office fees and probably a shit ton of passport photocopying. 

Edited by BeerBelly
3 hours ago, jacko said:

Perhaps I misled you... but I live well out of town to the North and have always preferred getting things done in the A.M.... travelling home in school traffic and the likelihood of being told 'come back tomorrow' being the reasons. I see they are managing to foist the need to pay for 2 certificates on you... a money making exercise for a service that has no official price... it is not so long since I achieved 2 licences with a single residence certificate. 

No worries. For me, it was a coin flip trying to decide if morning is better than afternoon. I think your suggestion of 10am is a good one. I know some people like to queue up at places before they open "so they don't have to wait too long"...somehow they neglect to count the time they are waiting before the places opens. I think 10am is a good time since it is after all the people who pre-loaded the queue, and far enough before lunch that you might get your stuff done before immigration takes a break.

I honestly don't remember my experience last time, but I suspect it was similar, but the only difference was I was probably able to wait inside.

The staff at counter 9 was going balls out too. So the delay was not from anything she was doing. Even when I went back to pick up my documents, she barely took her eyes off the customer she was working with. She saw my queue number out of the corner of her eye, reached out to take, then grabbed my documents from behind her and handed them to me. All without her stopping what she was doing with the customer she was with.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BeerBelly said:

When I talked with Tik Tok, she quoted me 5,000. Further, I got the feeling it wasn't actually her doing it. I think she is simply a middle man. Another place quoted me the same price. Tik Tok told me they go every Mon-Friday as a group. She told me they would send the driver the next day to bring me to make the appointment at the Land Transport Office. Personally, I hate being stuck in a van that drives around the city picking people up. That's when I decided to do it myself. 

Edit: The 5,000 is broken down to 3,500 for one license, +500 for the second license, +1000 for the residence certificate. Not sure if the 3500 includes the photos, but it does include transportation, medical certificate(s) and Land Transport Office fees and probably a shit ton of passport photocopying. 

Beer Belly you are accurate except no vans,several individual cars but yes you see they have others to attend to. At 3k no contest. For 5k I'll give my LT  Nam's driver 3K to do the Thai stuff at the office  and get my own residence cert. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...