Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Olded

renew drivers license

31 minutes ago, Olded said:

The last time I renewed my license I got a 10 year renew, first time I got 1 year second time 5 years and last time I got 10 year license.

In Thailand?

23 hours ago, jacko said:

In Thailand?

Yes in Thailand I got it in Chiang Rai on Oct 2009 and good to Nov 2020.

When I renewed my 5 year last Nov out on route 36 I only had a tourist visa and they would only give me a 2 year. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, Olded said:

Yes in Thailand I got it in Chiang Rai on Oct 2009 and good to Nov 2020.

show us a picture, never heard of this ever

Ive renewed my 5 year license a few times now and only ever got 5 years

🤔 if driver lenience expires during lock-down/ office closed how long to renew?

Will you have to take entire test over like first time?

11 hours ago, aj said:

🤔 if driver lenience expires during lock-down/ office closed how long to renew?

Will you have to take entire test over like first time?

You won't have to renew until after the state of emergency in Thailand is lifted.

No new driver’s license until Emergency Decree ends

Those with an expired driver’s license from 2 January 2020 to the date when the emergency decree ends will have an extension as long as Thailand is still in an emergency state. The DLT has notified the Royal Thai Police and the Office of Insurance Commission to allow those with an expired driver’s license since 2 January 2020 to continue driving on the road. The Insurance Commission will make sure that those with insurance will be able to claim the costs in case of an accident provided that you are driving the type of vehicle as registered in the driver’s license. For example, a Private Car Driving License, a Taxi Driving License, and etc.

😎 Thanks just what i needed

On 12/22/2014 at 8:53 PM, Olded said:

I went today to renew my drivers license here in Chiang Rai, all I needed was a copy of my passport and visa page, copy of my house book and a photo that they took there. I went in and they checked my eyes and brake reaction time, then they put me in a room and played a 90 minute video on how to drive in Thailand the Thai's called it drivers school, when the video was done I paid 605 baht got my photo taken and got my new licence. Has anyone else had to watch that video or is it something new.

I went today and got a new drivers licence again, everything was the same but no brake reaction test but had two eye color test and had to watch that video again. I only payed 505 bath this time.

I just renewed mine (4 wheel and motorcycle) in Rayong.  They're absolutely swamped here.  I went in a few weeks before my current licenses expired and they said the first date I could start the process was a month later - after my licenses expired.  I came back on that date, they processed my paperwork and told me the first opening for the video and eye tests was in several weeks, or I could do them at a driving school.

I went to a driving school that evening and did it there.  200 Baht for each license.  The film was 45 minutes and the reaction time/eye tests another fifteen.  They scan your thumb print and said I had to be scanned out after two hours as I was doing two licenses, but I could leave and come back.  I had my kindle so I just hung around and read.

The next day to immigration for residence certs then finished up at the transport office.  All three visits there the place was packed.  My previous renewal was upcountry and only took a couple hours total.

Oh well, as I got them after my previous licenses expired  they're effectively good for six years.  860 Baht + 400 for the school + 500 for the residence certificates.