Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Now the Party is over..Expat and Monger thoughts?

Hi,

Now we've seen the back of the 2 big events of "Peak season" , what is the general consensus about the state of play out there?.

I think we can all agree it (I'm going by reports and stuff I've read, plus looking at the LK Metro Cams) has been exceptionally quiet, even maybe an anti climax (although I speak from the perspective of a non visitor).

Is this due to the current political situation?, is this due to the general decrease in Tourism ? Some are saying less Russians, some are saying no change, some even say the slack has been taken up by Middle Eastern and Indian tourists, or is this due to a general decrease across the whole demographic?.

It appears the bars are pulling out all the stops to get punters in, even flights have been reasonable and unlike previous years, from what I can gather, hotel occupancy has been down somewhat.

We have recently seen numerous threads concerning the changes, so rather than dwell on the current situation, using this peak season as a yardstick, how do we see Songkran etc panning out?.

BTW, is there no , or a severely scaled down Cobra Gold again this year?.

Very glad that I haven't got the bar anymore, the yearly rent would of been due in 3 and a half weeks and even though I'm not in Pattaya I can imagine what its like.

:beer

I have to echo those sentiments. For all but a few, the bar/gogo/restaurant businesses have been stressful to own.

I think 2014 was probably the worst year, even for the most successful businesses, in memory.

This XMAS Eve and NYE were the first times I was able to find a motorbike parking place in Marine Plaza on those nights since I've been here. Prior years, all the parking areas and adjacent streets were too packed with motorbikes to find a parking place without cruising for one. That's just a measure of the drop off in visitor numbers.

I can't see any improvement on the horizon for the next year either...for the business owners, that is.

As a customer, I think things are going swimmingly and likely to get better...less Russians, less Chinese, less bars, more girls per bar, lower prices in an attempt to lure customers...it could happen :P

Hopefully I'll visit as a non business owner again sometime this year.

Saying that with seeing all the music bars closing maybe I'll do it again and open a new one but this time from scratch and not from buying into an existing place.

(then again maybe not ;) )

Edited by davethailand
  • Upvote 1

Saying that with seeing all the music bars closing maybe I'll do it again and open a new one...

Closing? Not sure what you are thinking about. I can't remember how many music bars there are in Walking Street area but seems to me there are more now than a few years back. The Stones House is a massive new successful one from 2014 by example.

Closing? Not sure what you are thinking about. I can't remember how many music bars there are in Walking Street area but seems to me there are more now than a few years back. The Stones House is a massive new successful one from 2014 by example.

Only one I know about that's closed is up in Naklua, Leo's Blues Bar...and, of course Blues Factory.

From a mobile

Only one I know about that's closed is up in Naklua, Leo's Blues Bar...and, of course Blues Factory.

Blues Factory did not closed long. Just the time for Tonny to buy it and reopen it ;)

Blues Factory did not closed long. Just the time for Tonny to buy it and reopen it ;)

Yes, but it closed...now it's open, of course, but it did close.

There is this nagging thought that if demand goes down so will supply.

One can always hope that as demand goes down, prices will drop rather than supply. What are their alternatives? Even at prices 5 years ago, they are making more than most entry level low education jobs...tax free and paid daily too.

Very glad that I haven't got the bar anymore.

Although it is now nearly 6 years since I got out of the bar business, I enjoyed it while it lasted. But I think I made the right decision getting out when I did.

It wasn't bought by anyone, I'd already stripped the bar and sold all contents after closing it down.

He negotiated a new lease with the landlady (who did me out of 150000 bht by the way) and then opened and used the name, I'd already transferred the name and company to someone else (Not Tony).

I was going to keep my company (Blues Factory by name also) but I wanted to be clear of all tie's legally in Thailand otherwise I would have stopped the name being used.

I was referring to Blues Factory, The Lounge, Leo's etc and a couple of other bars that used to have jam sessions etc when I mentioned bars closing.

I've been to The Stones Place, not my cup of tea but a nice place and then of course you have Blue Sky, Hot Tuna 2 and Utopia music bar but they are all open places.

Edited by davethailand
  • Upvote 1

Although it is now nearly 6 years since I got out of the bar business, I enjoyed it while it lasted. But I think I made the right decision getting out when I did.

I had some brilliant years and if I knew then what I know now lol I'd have sold my share years ago. ;)

• Upvote 1

I for one will be glad to see a shakeout. More bars need to close so that a few more clubs have lineups like Baccara has.

Even before the number of bars declines, a decline in the number of investors wanting to "live the dream" would help us punters out. Until recently the owner of any property could be assured that if the current tenant left another one would be sure to come in, and pay even higher key money.

If that changes, key money rates may go down -- and hopefully that means lower prices for drinks and barfines.

I'm not plugged in enough to know if this trend has started yet, or will soon.

One can always hope that as demand goes down, prices will drop rather than supply. What are their alternatives? Even at prices 5 years ago, they are making more than most entry level low education jobs...tax free and paid daily too.

This is the case that many of us have been making over the past several years. But we keep being shot down by those who suggest that the Thai economy is stronger then ever, that the girls have many other attractive options and so silly crap like "the girls should demand and deserve 3000 for St and 5000 for LT and not a single baht less..." is logical.

Anyone who spoke out about the changes that have driven away the "average" punter are accused of preaching Doom and Gloom. Well I'm not going to suggest that the Pattaya P4P scene has reached the Doom stage... but it's looking pretty damn Gloomy.

• Upvote 2

Up until maybe 2008 were the great years for me although I'm just looking at my business, of other years were ok but from 2008 thats when the low seasons especially began to hurt a bit.

Apart from being glad of being out of the business as said a part of me would do it again but I wouldn't want anything like a gogo/ ST time place, Admittedly I don't have the experience or patience for that as its not/ wasn't an important part of my living in Pattaya.

• Upvote 1

the landlady (who did me out of 150000 bht by the way) and then opened and used the name,

After all those years. Cow.

Re the later post about post 2008 downswing.

Always appreciated your honest posts. Although many of us missed visits, we were always crunching numbers. I'm sure you will find success wherever you settle.

A thread/ blog about the changes in the UK etc, would be welcome.

After all those years. Cow.

Re the later post about post 2008 downswing.

Always appreciated your honest posts. Although many of us missed visits, we were always crunching numbers. I'm sure you will find success wherever you settle.

A thread/ blog about the changes in the UK etc, would be welcome.

Thanks for that.

When the original owners opened it (and built it) in 2000/2001 they paid a deposit so when I sold the contents and cancelled the lease etc I was told that the building needed to be checked first.

After it was checked I was told that it needs about 100000 - 200000bht or more to turn it back to the way it was before Blues Factory.

Not being here then I don't know what it looked like but I do know that it was built for the purpose of being Blues Factory, I could see what was happening so in the end I said "what if you just keep the deposit?" of course without hesitation that was accepted and it was then rented out to Tony's group with no building works or anything carried out by the landlord.

At the end of the day I didn't pay any deposit and wasn't expecting anything back but that cash would of come in very handy especially when they were aware of my having to leave Thailand ASAP. TIT as they say. :thumbup

That said they have asked me to not hesitate in contacting them if I want to rent again and they were nice people who could of made renting a lot harder for me, they did me a few favours over the years.

UK wise not a lot happening so far, still looking after the folks.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be talking with a lawyer and immigration to try to change my wife's visa so she can stay on here a bit longer, failing that there is a slim chance that if she needs to re-apply from Thailand I maybe able to come back and do it for/ with her.

The way prices have increased at such a fast pace, especially in the nightlife areas, Bangkok is not my first choice for certain to visit anymore. Pattaya still has something to offer, without crazy prices that are now all over Bangkok. On my last visit to Soi Cowboy, the price quote I got from a dancer for LT, along with the drink prices, just had me laughing about how bad things have become in Bangkok, especially in Soi Cowboy and Nanaplaza :wacko:

I believe the future of nightlife areas will soon only be places for some big spenders where money is no issue, especially in Thailand.

• Upvote 1

The beginning of December was quite busy but Christmas and New Year were pretty dull. The hotel looks like it's going to be quiet to the end of this month.