Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Reverse Osmosis Systems

Do you drink the water from these machines? It's very cheap but I don't trust the quality of the water. I have researched the process and understand how it works but where does the water that they use in these machines come from in the first place and is it safe to drink?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You showed the shit from your water supply , in VT 5 much newer and better building never had that in 3 years , so I saw I had no shit in my water , you a local resident you showed the shit ,,, you w

Thailand is a low maintenance country. I never trusted the machines on the street.

VT2 old condo mate, what do you expect..tanks are dirty

Posted Images

I drink tap water here in Pattaya..never have had a problem.

For real? :yikes: Even the Thais don't do that!

For real? :yikes: Even the Thais don't do that!

Yes, for real...must be reasonably clean I suppose. I agree, the Thais generally don't do it either.

I am not suggesting others do it, but only stating that, for me, the water's just fine.

Yes, for real...must be reasonably clean I suppose. I agree, the Thais generally don't do it either.

I am not suggesting others do it, but only stating that, for me, the water's just fine.

You must have a very resilient immune system. Weren't you worried about harmful bacteria etc when you first started drinking it?

I use the machines……….Never a problem

But I don't even brush my teeth with tap-water……….You da man MM!

I use it to clean my teeth but then (most of the time) rinse with bottled water or mouthwash afterwards.

They have those machines at my Jomtien condo. I haven't bought any drinking water there since they put the machines in. I'm satisfied that that water is pure and totally tasteless. One baht per liter seems like a bargain. I had a bottle of it sitting in the light for two months and no algae, settling or odor.

I read somewhere a few years ago the water supplied to central Pattaya is fine, they had a map of the areas safe to drink it..

I get mine from Macro its cheap there, but I do clean my teeth in tap water

Do you drink the water from these machines? It's very cheap but I don't trust the quality of the water. I have researched the process and understand how it works but where does the water that they use in these machines come from in the first place and is it safe to drink?

I suppose the water is tap water,reverse osmosis in itself should be clean enough to drink but i worry about the

maintainance of the machines.

My drinking water is 50B for 12 litres.

As for drinking tap water,no way although town water is probably not too bad.What happens when there is a shortage

and they bring in a tanker to top up.Ive seen some of the places where they pick up this water,some look like mosquito

infested stagnant ponds..

I read somewhere a few years ago the water supplied to central Pattaya is fine, they had a map of the areas safe to drink it..

I get mine from Macro its cheap there, but I do clean my teeth in tap water

Yes, I think the water is fine here in Pattaya, though I have cleaned my teeth with water in Issan villages as well, and not had any perceived bad effects.

Of course, I prefer bottled water or water produced by a reverse osmosis system such as the OP inquired about, but in a pinch, say if I have to take a pill or regularly brushing my teeth, I will drink the tap water.

I also make ice cubes in my home using tap water...

This is not to say I sit around drinking tap water all day...it's just that it's not been a problem for me to have the occasional small amount without giving it a second thought.

I have heard reports that the water from these machines is much safer to drink or use when brushing your teeth than SML. ………Which is produced by a process of Reverse Pissmosis.

• Upvote 1

My drinking water is 50B for 12 litres.

Where do you get that from?

I have heard reports that the water from these machines is much safer to drink or use when brushing your teeth than SML. ………Which is produced by a process of Reverse Pissmosis.

What is SML?

I used to buy the large translucent plastic bottles of water. I took the seal off one and thought I saw something inside the bottle. I poured out a liter pitcher of water and there were mosquito larvae swimming around. I'll stick to the reverse osmosis machine water.

I'll stick to the reverse osmosis machine water.

But where does the water in these machines originally come from? Is it dirty water to begin with?

Edited by Siam Sam

But where does the water in these machines originally come from? Is it dirty water to begin with?

It starts off as tap water, they put the water through charcoal filters then through the RO system, some systems have UV treatment as well. The filters need to be cleaned and the UV lamps need replacing every so often.There were several places on 3rd Rd selling or renting those machines.

RO is The system most bottled water companies in the US use. It is safe and clean BUT the membrane needs to be changed every so often and not doing so could mean you get bad water. Make sure it is properly maintained. I'd also think you want some sort of sediment filter in front of the RO unit.

It starts off as tap water, they put the water through charcoal filters then through the RO system, some systems have UV treatment as well. The filters need to be cleaned and the UV lamps need replacing every so often.There were several places on 3rd Rd selling or renting those machines.

Thailand is a low maintenance country. I never trusted the machines on the street.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have seen the inside of my water tank and would not dream of drinking from the tap.

All my water is delivered by a truck in big clear bottles. It says 'Spring Water' on the bottles but the only spring is in the step of the delivery boy as he charges me 50 baht/bottle.

According to the attached article it is safe to drink as long as you live between Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Nua all the way up to Sukhumvit.

I have only once knowingly drank coffee made from tap water. Even though I boiled it for the requisite 20 mins I still got sick as a dog for three or four days. I was outside of the safe area though.

Have always used the RO Machines when i lived in a condo and never got sick. Check the status lights on the machine before using them. Avoid using the machine if no lights are showing green, probably bypassed.

Now i live in a house I use Amtech 18.9 litre bottles 45 baht delivered. They are too heavy to carry around but still cheap at about 3baht per litre.

I clean my teeth in tap water without any ill effects so maybe i now have the required immunization for the water germs but not worth the risk IMHO.

http://www.pattayamail.com/444/news.shtml#hd1

• 5 weeks later...

Nearly all ocean going ships with a water making facility use the reverse osmosis procedure, especially those with high water consumption rates due to numbers of personnel, such as passenger liners and warships; and although the product is not particularly palatable unless certain "salts" are added, it is perfectly safe. Many years ago I was in company with a British Destroyer that continued to make water whilst alongside in Karachi harbour, one of the filthiest ports in the world at the time, rather than load the potable water from barges, which would be the more normal practice when in port. They rightly considered that source to be safer than the daily load option, and suffered no ill consequences. Careful maintenance of the equipment is the key factor.

Edited by Fatboyfat

One time in Bangkok I was staying at the JW Marriott and woke up in the middle of the night for some water, forgetting where I was. Drank a bunch of tap water. Maybe it was that water or maybe it was some food I ate the next day, but SOMETHING made me sick over the next few days. Since then, I've tried to be more careful.