Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Register your Thai Mobile Number or Lose it !

Basically you have until the 31st of July this year to make sure that your pre-paid mobile sim card is registered with your personal information, what personal information actually entails I'm not a hundred per cent sure, but would think name and address at the very least. Link below

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/458992/nbtc-issues-registration-alert

I know that Gabor has a thread running in the expat section about AIS or DTAC and which is the best carrier to use, I didn't want to hijack his thread. I also didn't want to put this in the expat section as it will effect many visitors and tourists to Thailand who visit only once or twice a year also. Mods please move if topic is in the wrong section.

Regards

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can check if your SIM is already registered by dialing   True *151# AIS *141# dtac *102#

Thanks. My passport number came back in the SMS response, so I hope I am good to go.

I had to give my phone number on the TM7 for retirement extension, why the heck isn't that good enough for registration? They got my name, number, passport, address, and copy of my picture.

// With this information, the government can easily match email, Facebook, and //

You mean that you use your real name on Facebook ?? :rolleyes:

I thought this FB rule was the most violated rule of the web... ;)

BTW I don't see the problem to register my mobile numbers ?

In fact I already did it long time ago, because you need to register

if you want to be able to keep your number and get a new SIM

in the case you lost your mobile or get it stolen.

This appears to be a typical Thai snafu. I happened to be in Khon Kaen for a couple of days. Tukcom is across the street from the Kosa hotel where I stayed. I went to the True office to register my SIM. The girls working there had no idea what I was talking about. They looked at me like I was from Mars.

I hope that this thread keeps on going. If its crap then its crap but if it isn't I would hate to lose my number of some years because I wasn't on the spot to register.

I don't understand. If this number is of some importance for you, why didn't you register long ago already? A phone can be lost, broken, stolen,... and in each case you would lost your number.

No, (above) I have a number that I use in Thailand, and have for a few years, and I would hate to lose it. I only come over about twice a year, but manage to keep payments up enough to keep ahead enough months until my next visit. I have never been asked to 'register', and I have been using the current number for quite a few years. Now I too would like to know what to "go" is....

I'm reasonably happy to register my number, as I have often wondered about why we haven't had to, and what a problem it could be in the future (particularly since 9/11) but am wary about what difficulties I will have with language confusion in a 7/11, when I DO try to register. Please keep us occasional visitors informed on this.

No, (above) I have a number that I use in Thailand, and have for a few years, and I would hate to lose it. I only come over about twice a year, but manage to keep payments up enough to keep ahead enough months until my next visit. I have never been asked to 'register', and I have been using the current number for quite a few years. Now I too would like to know what to "go" is....

I'm reasonably happy to register my number, as I have often wondered about why we haven't had to, and what a problem it could be in the future (particularly since 9/11) but am wary about what difficulties I will have with language confusion in a 7/11, when I DO try to register. Please keep us occasional visitors informed on this.

Plus one on the above for me. Until the thread kicked off I had no idea that this was an issue. Surely if your phone was stolen you would put a stop on your number and it would still belong to you even if someone else was using it?

Plus one on the above for me. Until the thread kicked off I had no idea that this was an issue. Surely if your phone was stolen you would put a stop on your number and it would still belong to you even if someone else was using it?

God, I hope not. I'd hate to think someone could just go to the service center and say they own my number and have it transferred to them. Without registration, how could they possibly believe the person making such claims.

God, I hope not. I'd hate to think someone could just go to the service center and say they own my number and have it
  • Upvote 1

God, I hope not. I'd hate to think someone could just go to the service center and say they own my number and have it transferred to them. Without registration, how could they possibly believe the person making such claims.

God, I hope not. I'd hate to think someone could just go to the service center and say they own my number and have it

OK, so someone steals your phone what do you do? Bear in mind that this so called registration (according to previous posts) might not even exist.

OK, so someone steals your phone what do you do? Bear in mind that this so called registration (according to previous posts) might not even exist.

I'd buy a new phone, go to AIS with my new phone and passport, and get my old number back. The did type my passport number into their computer.

Without the registration, I would have simply gotten a new number, I doubt they would cancel my old number without proof that I owned it.

Usually the main issue a farang has is keeping the his SIM active

You go to 7-11, get 100 baht and it extends your date, that is the easy way

But if you find one of those phone machines (usually right outside 7-11) and do 10 baht + a 3 Baht commission, you can extend it for up to one year

Now, it may take 13 Baht x 12 times (maybe less). But it does extend the SIM expiration date.

I'll take my chance on getting the number cutoff, as they talk big and never put the effort into such a project

Sounds like big brother is tightening the screw........even in Thailand , it now seems the powers that be want as much info on you as possible , this is just one of the ways of getting that information......!!! :deal

But if you find one of those phone machines (usually right outside 7-11) and do 10 baht + a 3 Baht commission, you can extend it for up to one year

Now, it may take 13 Baht x 12 times (maybe less). But it does extend the SIM expiration date.

I'll take my chance on getting the number cutoff, as they talk big and never put the effort into such a project

I have sorted out the extended charging of the phone and usually go to the AIS office in Central and pay 10 baht a month for as many months as I want. This however will still be useless if you are out of the country and there becomes an insistence that you become registered. It would be good if someone can come up with something definitive and publish it here.

I had to give my phone number on the TM7 for retirement extension, why the heck isn't that good enough for registration? They got my name, number, passport, address, and copy of my picture.

• Upvote 2

teelack it is actually easy to understand

If you bought the SIM off the street or from a vendor, it was probably not registered. If you went to AIS, True or happy, you had to show your passport (from what they say)

Somehow as in 2005, they will require it to be registered. But if that is the case most would have already been done.

In other words, you could go the extra mile and try, but expect frustration as no one really knows what is going on (as in 2005)

So many Thai and farangs buy a SIM and don't register, how are they going to keep track of it...lol

File where...?????

Edited by Greg_B

You would likely go register at an AIS/DTAC or True service counter in the Mall.

I have found some pretty good English speakers there.

Can't imagine a little 7-11 on the dark side handling it.

I registered my AIS number with my old expired passport and have never updated it. In fact I had an epiphany a few months back when I had logged onto their website and entered my old PP number where it was asking for my National ID card number and was able to access more services.

Hi,

The future?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31042477

Want to gain entry to your office, get on a bus, or perhaps buy a sandwich? We're all getting used to swiping a card to do all these things. But at Epicenter, a new hi-tech office block in Sweden, they are trying a different approach - a chip under the skin.

Felicio de Costa, whose company is one of the tenants, arrives at the front door and holds his hand against it to gain entry. Inside he does the same thing to get into the office space he rents, and he can also wave his hand to operate the photocopier.

That's all because he has a tiny RFID (radio-frequency identification) chip, about the size of a grain of rice, implanted in his hand. Soon, others among the 700 people expected to occupy the complex will also be offered the chance to be chipped. Along with access to doors and photocopiers, they're promised further services in the longer run, including the ability to pay in the cafe with a touch of a hand.

The companies wont like switching numbers off thats for sure, I heard DTAC have sent SMS advising to register, I am on AIS I have not received any such SMS.

The companies wont like switching numbers off thats for sure, I heard DTAC have sent SMS advising to register, I am on AIS I have not received any such SMS.

I might have done! I get these SMS messages in Thai that I just delete!

Exactly, Jacko. Same, same. Here in Australia I get enough messages (all in Thai) that it sometimes makes me worry that I may have missed something - maybe I did! (and I am on AIS too)

I just copy the Thai SMS and insert it into Google translate...sometimes there's actually useful information in those messages!