Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Register your Thai Mobile Number or Lose it !

I just copy the Thai SMS and insert it into Google translate...sometimes there's actually useful information in those messages!

Well I must confess I have done that once or twice, but I have to forward it to my other phone.

Nothing useful so far!

Surely, anything important will be written in English! :lsmile

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can check if your SIM is already registered by dialing   True *151# AIS *141# dtac *102#

Thanks. My passport number came back in the SMS response, so I hope I am good to go.

I had to give my phone number on the TM7 for retirement extension, why the heck isn't that good enough for registration? They got my name, number, passport, address, and copy of my picture.

At this point, I have five SIM cards. One CAT for just the internet, two True, one for my everyday use and the other in my spare phone. A Dtac in my emergency phone and an AIS in yet another phone that my wife insisted that I have because she can then call me for free from her AIS phone.

Probably like many other people, I have thrown away many SIM cards mostly because the expired. The last one I threw away was an AIS number that WAS registered years ago. AIS had screwed me twice using that number and it was easier to dispose of the SIM and just get another. Not to go into too much detail, I used that card for the Internet when I was at my condo. I tried to cancel the Internet plan and still, every month they deducted the money from my balance. I then called them and insisted that they quit charging me. They agreed and charged me 20 baht to cancel the program. The very next month, they charged me again.

I was finished with AIS until my wife bought me another AIS SIM so she could call me at home for free. She is the only one who has that number. As I previously mentioned, I tried to register my True every day number and True said they don't know how to do that. I'll now just take my chances.

ADDED - If the government was really serious about this, they would stop the mom and pop shops and the large chain stores from selling SIM cards and force people to buy from the providers who would be required to register the numbers.

Edited by Gary

Exactly, Jacko. Same, same. Here in Australia I get enough messages (all in Thai) that it sometimes makes me worry that I may have missed something - maybe I did! (and I am on AIS too)

When you call AIS customer service, 1175 and wait for English, the first thing they mention is upgrading your SIM to 3G. And to do so, they say you will need your passport number. This kind of implies that you can buy a new SIM card on your own and do you own upgrade and registration with passport without having to actually show your passport. Although, I did my 2G->3G upgrade in the store, so I don't know if there is another step that says, "You have X number of days to bring your passport for verification".

The fine to the service providers is 80,000 baht per day for not complying with this law. So if the fine is enforced and the service providers feel they would lose more than 80,000 per day if they disabled unregistered numbers, then I think they will simply accept this and keep the numbers live. However, with the military in control and having a strong desire to track down people who are "not happy" , if the providers decide to go this route, the penalties will be raised. Time will tell.

You can check if your SIM is already registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

Well done Wobbly one!

I gave you and syd a green. Saved a lot of us any bother.

You can check if your SIM is already registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

Thank you very much for the hint.. I tried it and all I received was some thai crap... in an SMS...any ideas ???

When you call AIS customer service, 1175 and wait for English,

I tried too... but no any warns to register my SIM card... just the usual messages... true, I upgraded my SIM to 3G a year ago... I logged in to the AIS and no any warns.... I tried to fill the " my details " .... but not allow to write anything.... just clicking on the empty spaces and no any results...

Thank you very much for the hint.. I tried it and all I received was some thai crap... in an SMS...any ideas ???

I tried too... but no any warns to register my SIM card... just the usual messages... true, I upgraded my SIM to 3G a year ago... I logged in to the AIS and no any warns.... I tried to fill the " my details " .... but not allow to write anything.... just clicking on the empty spaces and no any results...

Call into Central next to McDonalds

I've used DTAC, TRUE and AIS, and in my opinion, AIS is the best of the three.

However, it really depends on the coverage in wherever you spend most of your time.

I've used DTAC, TRUE and AIS, and in my opinion, AIS is the best of the three.

However, it really depends on the coverage in wherever you spend most of your time.

For infrequent visitors, also depends on your phone; the newest generation of phones tend to be quad- or penta-band UMTS and work almost anywhere, but with phones from home even a year old it can be a bit more challenging. DTAC and True have the advantage of using the 850mhz band for data which is what AT&T in the US uses (and most US GSM phones, so it's a safer choice for folks from the US -- if they have an unlocked phone at all.

AIS uses a mix of 900mhz and 2100mhz (the former uncommon anywhere, the latter used just about everywhere outside the US, and it's a safer choice if you have an unlocked European phone.

BTW the last-generation Moto G LTE (1st generation) is one of the cheapest decent pentaband phones out there and I've found it an absolutely brilliant travel phone even if it's a bit small.

• 4 weeks later...

I might have done! I get these SMS messages in Thai that I just delete!

Despite what I have said elsewhere, about all my SIMs being registered, I gave my passport number to AIS about 8 year ago or whenever it was last required, and I recently used the AIS *141# code which I thought said I was OK, apparently I am not.

Just got an SMS in Thai which, instead of the usual delete I got the better half to read.....

Go to Telewiz and register my SIM or it will be blocked........

I suppose I shall go to Telewiz Monday, I won't take my passport just to mess with them....... have to fight the extra delays due to road works, unless the tunnel gets cancelled tomorrow!!!!

Edited by jacko

And now it has been posted that the deadline has been postponed. Here

The deadline postponement was from 2006.

Am I missing some joke here? :clueless

Despite what I have said elsewhere, about all my SIMs being registered, I gave my passport number to AIS about 8 year ago or whenever it was last required, and I recently used the AIS *141# code which I thought said I was OK, apparently I am not.

Just got an SMS in Thai which, instead of the usual delete I got the better half to read.....

Go to Telewiz and register my SIM or it will be blocked........

And now it has been posted that the deadline has been postponed. Here

I suppose I shall go to Telewiz Monday, I won't take my passport just to mess with them....... have to fight the extra delays due to road works, unless the tunnel gets cancelled tomorrow!!!!

I registered 8 years ago too...went to the TELEWIZ to check...And they told me, everything is OK, I'm registered... using the *141# code...interesting... ( BTW... how stupid to accept a 8 year old register ??? My passport number already changed... I could pass my phone number for an other person for 100 baht... even for a possible terrorist... )

• Upvote 1

The deadline postponement was from 2006.

Am I missing some joke here? :clueless

Nah, my screw up after using the search function. Apologies for confusion.

I registered 8 years ago too...went to the TELEWIZ to check...And they told me, everything is OK, I'm registered... using the *141# code...interesting... ( BTW... how stupid to accept a 8 year old register ??? My passport number already changed... I could pass my phone number for an other person for 100 baht... even for a possible terrorist... )

Are you getting any SMS messages with the word Telewiz in English?

(Perhaps they are just being sent to everyone!)

I suppose it is best to be going there and check, I don't want a number I have had for 11 years to be blocked. Perhaps they can put my new passport number in there!

Edited by jacko

"Moderator, moderate thyself !"

I went back and edited the post, and apologised, none of which are Mod privileges.

What else is required in your esteemed opinion?

I went back and edited the post, and apologised, none of which are Mod privileges.

What else is required in your esteemed opinion?

Sackcloth and a good whipping!

Sackcloth and a good whipping!

Off to the Castle it is then.

Usual time?

OK see you later……You turn for the whip.

No, I was going to go now. They do a much better job if you go out of hours and climb in through a window!

I think the registration of phones only applies for prepaid mobile phones. I don't think it is necessary to register smart phones with a monthly paid plan. I also have a fixed TOT phone line in my condo. Naturally that doesn't need to be registered either, as I get a monthly bill for that, showing the credit left on it, as I always pay a few months in advance.

• Upvote 1

I think the registration of phones only applies for prepaid mobile phones.

I don't think it is necessary to register smart phones with a monthly paid plan.

You don't have to register your phones,

but you have to register all your Thai SIM cards... ;)