Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Register your Thai Mobile Number or Lose it !

As a visitor I would also like to have the answer to MLC's question. I'm bringing my own unlocked phone.

Please keep it simple because I am.... :)

Andy

They are offering tourist SIM cards that you can get.

True Move Tourist Sim Card mentioned here

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can check if your SIM is already registered by dialing   True *151# AIS *141# dtac *102#

Thanks. My passport number came back in the SMS response, so I hope I am good to go.

I had to give my phone number on the TM7 for retirement extension, why the heck isn't that good enough for registration? They got my name, number, passport, address, and copy of my picture.

Thanks Jacko! Still available from 7/11 I see, so same procedure as usual.

Well obviously I haven't tried it but maybe have your Passport in your pocket.

There was also a kiosk at the airport, just after customs, selling SIM cards and having a lot of trade.

One can only expect they are selling Tourist SIMS.

Edited by jacko

I left things until the last hour, if not minute. I walked into the AIS office at Central Festival at 6.11 pm. I was finished and walked out at 6.13 pm. That surprised me as the office was jam-packed with people, mostly non-Thais. I was expecting to wait an hour, but was out in literally two minutes.

Evil

:devil

I left things until the last hour, if not minute. I walked into the AIS office at Central Festival at 6.11 pm. I was finished and walked out at 6.13 pm. That surprised me as the office was jam-packed with people, mostly non-Thais. I was expecting to wait an hour, but was out in literally two minutes.

Evil

:devil

The lines at Telewiz Tuk.Com were about 15 people long each time I saw them. I passed the counter 3 times.

The one month extension Atlas2 mentioned is limited to incoming calls, you will not be able to make outgoing calls on a non-registered pre-paid SIM card.

Thankfully deadlines in Thailand are kicked down the road now and again.

Edited by jacko

Hi. One more month delay for those who didn't register yet. ;)

More than 80% of SIM card owner have register it. Not bad ;)

Last chance for late 20%...

From September it will not be possible for you to Send *and to Receive* calls or data

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-to-extend-registration-of-prepaid-sim-cards-till-august-31

The cell companies asked for three months extension and are around 80% complete, not knowing fully how many are defunct, lost etc., and will neer be as a result. I guess the government will dole out extensions a month at a a time.

Mine expires after each trip so just a matter of getting a new SIM next trip.

Interesting how the Happy Tourist SIM is "free internet" for 7 or 15 days and the 15 day one costs 300 baht more than the 7 day one which is 299 Baht, and only 100 Baht is included on each card for calls.

Free means 300 Baht. Don't let the girls know about this definition. LT only 10 times free tonite, farang.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • 3 weeks later...

Like putting a band aid on a busted leg.

True. Anything that emits a signal to receiver could be used.

Theoretically, a garage door opener could emit a signal capable of setting off a bomb.

I'm sure there are better examples but it illustrates my point.

• Upvote 1

True. Anything that emits a signal to receiver could be used.

Theoretically, a garage door opener could emit a signal capable of setting off a bomb.

I'm sure there are better examples but it illustrates my point.

Not with the same range but I get your point.

Not with the same range but I get your point.

I was a mechanical design engineer and not an electronics engineer.

Yes, using my garage door opener to set off an explosive would scatter me around the neighborhood.

I just have no expertise in what is relatively easy to get that would work.

Tablets and laptops are sending and receiving signals at great distance too.

These terrorists are much smarter about this stuff than I could ever be.

After I had a pacemaker fitted every time I made love my garage doors would open and close.

Someone sneaking out?

They were serious about shutting your phone off. They shut mine off. That was a couple of months after I duly registered my phone and SIM card at a True store. I kept getting messages that I had to register my card. I called the 1331 True service number FIVE times about the messages. FIVE times I was told not to worry because my number was registered. I called them yesterday and will admit that I was more than a little pissed off. After the sixth time I called them, the phone started working again. I told them that if I had any more problems that I would become an AIS customer. I have three True SIM cards and my every day user is the one with the problem. It appears that the other two have had no problems. This simple procedure has caused me a LOT of irritation starting several months ago long before any deadlines.

Maybe this guy from True knew what he was doing. I used my backup phone to call them. I had to shut off the problem phone and then turn it back on when he told me. After the reboot, it worked again. He had also asked me what was the phone model that had the problem. It was my Galaxy S5.

As a result of the Erawan bombing, the grace period for SIM registration is terminated.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/662184/

Bomb scares end SIM registration holiday Cut-off meant to deter phone-enabled bombs

Aha, another to add to the list of 'cui bono'.........(lead singer from some Irish band?)

If I were a bomb maker, I would not consider setting a bomb off with a cell phone. Someone could dial a wrong number (TIT) and that would be the end. A simple alarm clock or a timer would be much safer.

The government could send a signal to every known cell phone frequency once in a while and that could eliminate a few lunatics who are using cell phones for detonators..

Edited by Gary
  • Upvote 2

If I were a bomb maker, I would not consider setting a bomb off with a cell phone. Someone could dial a wrong number (TIT) and that would be the end. A simple alarm clock or a timer would be much safer.

The government could send a signal to every known cell phone frequency once in a while and that could eliminate a few lunatics who are using cell phones for detonators..

It would not be hard to trigger a bomb by phone requiring a code or a call from a specific other number; these things are "smart" now, it's not just the old dial phones where the ring was an basic electric signal down the line.