Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Driving is an issue, but simply follow the rules and you will not have any problems (maybe an accident or two)

1. It doesn't matter which side of the road you are on, if it is shorter to drive into the traffic and not with it, that is okay

2. Speed counts, get there as fast as you can, weave in/out of traffic and cutoff anyone who gets in your way

3. Red light doesn't matter, just flash your lights and speed through it, maybe honk your horn also

4. You need to turn, make your own turn lane, regardless of direction of traffic

5. In order to be certified in Thailand, you must be able to talk on your cell, text, listen to the radio and talk to everyone in the backseat.

6. You must be an offensive driver, never be a defensive driver and anticipate stupidity.

7. Bald or worn out tires do not matter, if they hold air, they have a purpose.

8. It's okay to block traffic, if you need to get into another lane. Most people enjoy being inconvenienced by your lack of road manners

9. Park anywhere you like, we all know how important you are. Create a bottleneck, as it's all about you anyway

10. Pass any vehicle at anytime, even if he/she has a turn signal on. It's all about timing....

11. 4 or less is okay on a motorbike and don't worry about using a helmet

12. Overloading your truck is fine, stack that wood or paper as high as you like. Don't worry about tipping over when you turn.

13. Long pipes or long pieces of wood are okay to lay on top of your truck. It doesn't matter how far it extends in the front or back

14. it's okay to wait for a parking place and create a big traffic jam. Then of course you have to military park it and that takes forever to do. We all understand

15. OMG I can sell 100 baht worth of food, let me stop my food cart right here. I'm sorry, the people behind you can all wait

I recently debated my wife and step-son on the driving knowledge. Hydroplane, blind spots , defensive driving skills and the need to slow it down. But of course, I am a dumbass and don't understand Thailand. Step-son has put the motorbike down 3 times in 18 months and the wife has had 3 accidents in the same time period. My last accident was in 1996 and It was a rear end collision that I was not at fault. But I'm to slow as she says and scared to drive in BKK.

I've drove in Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, USA and Africa. So I guess I don't meet her ideals on safety....But it is a good laugh to listen to a Thai brag about being a good driver.

MM, Kuwait was actually worse, as the "TCN" drivers from India are a real hazard

Item 12 on this link...

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/um-think-truck-overloaded-001400889.html

I found Riyadh in KSA pretty bad, some very aggressive driving there.

Caracas always sticks in my mind too.

Manila...... slow slow and painful.

I drove a lot in Kuwait, easy peasy! But my did I see some horrific accidents (excessive speed, powerful vehicles)

Surprising what you can get used to.

Lots of places worse than Thailand..... although there are astounding examples of stupidity occurring regularly to keep you alert.

Edited by jacko

I had great driving lesson in Thailand while I was a passenger in a minibus travelling from Hua Hin to Pattaya a couple of years ago.

As we travelled along the expressways with approx 9 people on board, speed always around 140 kph, the heavens opened. The rain was bouncing knee high and within minutes many of the slip roads are flooding.

Does the driver see a need to slow down, does he leave a greater distance from the vehicle in front? No, don't be silly, all you need to do is turn your hazard lights on and you can still sit up the arse of the HGV in front at well over a 100kph, regardless of conditions!

Brilliant eh? No idea why we hear of so many terrible road accidents in LoS!

Edited by python

I moved to LOS when I was 80 so was unable to get a Thai drivers license so I rely on my wife to drive me around - Fortunately she is a rare thing - a good Thai driver . But when I observe the driving habits of most Thais , I am glad that I am not driving because I am sure I would lose my temper - and I have driven around the world including a stint as a Taxi Driver in Sydney

I got to Korea after a year in Thailand and two in the Philippines. On a two lane road, I see a bus pulling out to pass coming my direction. Being aware of the first rule of the road that he who has the bigger vehicle, has the right of way, I start to slow down and move to the right. The bus went past me fully in my lane while I was stopped on the shoulder.

It's a bit scary to realize Americans are, comparatively, fairly good drivers. A Korean friend had her nephew stay with her in the U.S. while he was studying English. She tells me nephew doesn't like driving in the U.S. My reaction was what's his problem, he learned to drive in Seoul. She said that was what she told him. His response, "Auntie, here they want you to follow the rules."

Try driving in Italy, especially Rome, and then come talk about Thai drivers LOL

LOL. Once took a cab from Piazza Navona to the airport early am---driver ran every single red light on the trip. As they say, in Italy traffic signals are merely a suggestion...

Driving in Saigon back in 1972 was a real treat.

Only experience driving in Thailand in 74-75 was on base, but that was in a full size, left hand drive king cab pickup with a huge turning radius. Had one place where you had to make a 180 degree right hand turn. You'd look in the mirror and you could see the Thai taxi drivers thinking "Hey, I can slip past him to the right while he is swinging wide for the turn." As the visibility to the right side of the truck was crap, I always held my breadth as that truck would have crushed one of those taxis like a bug.

Did see a taxi rear end a military pickup. Destroyed the front end of the taxi. The pickup was essentially undamaged.

Jacko

The accidents in Kuwait were horrific and usually because of an excessive speed. It's the only place I have seen a car pass on the shoulder of the road at 120-150 KPH

Usually the result is a cracked window, as of course rocks are thrown everywhere from this stupid driver. Some have been killed passing on the shoulder, as the sand piles can cause an accident easily.

Very unsafe in Kuwait, but the roads are well maintained (well not all). To them it is a racetrack..

Cairo was an eye opener, gladly I was just in taxi's, same with Lebanon.

Some old Europeans on mopeds in Pattaya are on par with both of those.

:thumbup

Yes good one. When I was there I didn't even try to drive, we were given a driver.

He was bloody terrible and killed or maimed 3 dogs!

Jacko

The accidents in Kuwait were horrific and usually because of an excessive speed. It's the only place I have seen a car pass on the shoulder of the road at 120-150 KPH

Usually the result is a cracked window, as of course rocks are thrown everywhere from this stupid driver. Some have been killed passing on the shoulder, as the sand piles can cause an accident easily.

Very unsafe in Kuwait, but the roads are well maintained (well not all). To them it is a racetrack..

I was following a big Chevy back to the City from Wafra and a kid fell out of the window onto the road!

And I recall Pakistanis on foot were always trying to get across the Highway near Mangaf and getting hit.

Driving in Saigon back in 1972 was a real treat.

I visited there about 17 years ago. I never drove there, but got driven around. I couldn't believe how everyone ignored road rules. To watch the lights at a major intersection change and see traffic from all directions just continue to stream through each other was amazing. They all seemed to just drive in their own little bubble, looking for anyone within about 6 foot in front of them, otherwise oblivious to everything around them.

Edited by SlipSlopSlap
  • Upvote 1

They all seemed to just drive in their own little bubble, looking for anyone within about 6 foot in front of them, otherwise oblivious to everything around them.

In El Paso, Texas, the locals all seemed to be of the opinion there was no car beyond their right foot. You would consistently see cars stopped at intersections or coming out of driveways with the front third of the car sticking out into traffic.

• Upvote 1

Today, I was in a right turn lane (only) and I was passed by the guy behind me. So, he gets ahead of me, uses his brakes and makes a slow turn (as he talks on his phone)

WTF..? Bangkok drivers have no common sense as of late... :clueless

Today, I was in a right turn lane (only) and I was passed by the guy behind me. So, he gets ahead of me, uses his brakes and makes a slow turn (as he talks on his phone)

WTF..? Bangkok drivers have no common sense as of late... :clueless

I get frustrated on the railway line bypass Rd by the number of vehicles that accelerate past me, and then pull over and brake quite heavily in front of me to make the left turn. Twats. And Bangkok drivers, yes you can certainly recognise them! (Twats).

I just dropped my good lady off to to a day trip to The Big Mango and am now worried as she is in one of those silver mini-buses.

• Upvote 1

Looking both ways at all times is just a good defensive practice in Thailand. I was turning left and before I did, I looked to the right and then to the left

To see a old lady on a bike, going in the wrong fucking direction.... :angry2

So, I guess the logic is, to ride your bike in violation of traffic laws and expect others to lookout for your lack of concern

Try driving in Italy, especially Rome, and then come talk about Thai drivers LOL

I agree MM, but you can extend that crazy driving to the whole Mediterranean coast in the area: Italia, France, Spain... ;) :(

To all: Be careful with speed, mainly if driving a motorbike. I really scared myself Wednesday on Sukhumvit when my front wheel droved/rolled in a kind of hole on the street that I saw too late. I partially lost control and stabilized very near the big bus on my left. This time it came very close, way too close, and all my fault: not vigilant enough and driving way too fast (110+ km/h...) :(

After more thinking, it's 100% Thais fault! I took my old motorbike for revision in December, and if the Thai mechanic hadn't made such a good work, I still would not be able to go faster than 90 km/h... ;)

Seriously: Be careful :nod . Only one life...

I remember getting a taxi once in Rome and the driver had passable English so i asked him what the basic rules of the road were. He told me that in you country the traffic lights were an instruction in Italy they were a suggestion and that about summed it up.