Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 249 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

Well work is well under way, and I had my first experience of being inconvenienced by it on Sunday, and it is most certainly going to get worse.

I am sure we can get together and bitch and moan a bit about it.

Odd pictures recording progress would be good!

Here is what I am babbling about...under-way----underpass.

I joined Sukhumvit just south of Klang to head North...... bad traffic delays at weekend.

Knock-on effects as it seems to be worse at the junctions on the railway line bypass road, my usual route in and out of town

Yes the Sukhumvit/Klang junction tunnel construction.........the big dig.

Reduced lanes in both directions on Sukumvit.

Coming soon.....

No right turn Southbound from Sukhumvit onto Klang.

No right turn Northbound from Sukhumvit onto Soi Siam Country Club.

One way on Soi Siam Country Club and NermPlub Wan, heading East, away from the City......

One way on Soi Wat Boonsampan and Soi Khao Talo, westbound, heading towards Sukhumvit.

It is going to get ugly... will it take longer than Jontiem 2nd Rd and Thrappaya construction did?

Will there be any benefit other than giving the rain somewhere to drain to off Klang and Sukhumvit in the wet season?

Shall I go live somewhere else for a while?

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

The railway bypass has been my favourite way back home coming from up North. I usually turn left into Soi Samphan at the traffic lights opposite the Index store on Sukhumvit and then turn right after crossing the railway track, before heading back to Sukhumvit via Soi Khao Talo or at times a bit further South using the Soi going back to Sukhumvit close to Soi Watboon.

The traffic going that way has increased a lot over the last couple of years, especially in the afternoon, but it was still a better option than getting gridlocked on Sukhumvit between Pattaya Klang and Threppasit Road.

With so many new traffic restrictions, commuters could be in for some unpleasant times. :sh

• Upvote 1

You think this could have a negative effect on real estate prices on the east side now?

I know I'd think twice about buying over the other side while this is going on.

The railway bypass has been my favourite way back home coming from up North. I usually turn left into Soi Samphan at the traffic lights opposite the Index store on Sukhumvit and then turn right after crossing the railway track, before heading back to Sukhumvit via Soi Khao Talo or at times a bit further South using the Soi going back to Sukhumvit close to Soi Watboon.

The traffic going that way has increased a lot over the last couple of years, especially in the afternoon, but it was still a better option than getting gridlocked on Sukhumvit between Pattaya Klang and Threppasit Road.

With so many new traffic restrictions, commuters could be in for some unpleasant times. :sh

If you are as far north as say Laem Chabang I would consider a left turn at RT 36 and the first U turn after the railway bridge, and then get on the Railway line bypass where it starts. It sounds to me like you are describing Soi Siam Country Club/ Soi Porpranamit which was still accessible yesterday.

Edited by jacko

You think this could have a negative effect on real estate prices on the east side now?

I know I'd think twice about buying over the other side while this is going on.

Well I often go for a hair cut on Soi Siam CC and traffic heading towards Sukhumvit can be painfully slow on that Rd at busy times, it is going to be bad getting over from the dark-side. The back roads are going to see a lot of traffic.

I did manage to turn right off Sukhumvit towards Soi Siam CC which was still 2-way yesterday. I went north down the railway line rd then and there appeared to be barriers at the motorway/HWY 7 junction.

Great pics forcebwithu.

Edited by jacko

If you are as far north as say Laem Chabang I would consider a left turn at RT 36 and the first U turn after the railway bridge, and then get on the Railway line bypass where it starts.

This is exactly my commute from work (Laem Chabang) to home (Soi Khao Noi).

I do the U-turn on the 36 everyday at about 5.45pm and home by 6.15pm.

These past few days Iam not home until 6.30pm and I can only seeing it getting worse.

This is exactly my commute from work (Laem Chabang) to home (Soi Khao Noi).

I do the U-turn on the 36 everyday at about 5.45pm and home by 6.15pm.

These past few days Iam not home until 6.30pm and I can only seeing it getting worse.

I think an obvious indication of the impact already.

Bloody frustrating how they block up those damned junctions isn't it!!!

Parts of the 'Railway Road' regularly flood and are closed in the rainy season……..If I was still stuck into a forced schedule like Fondles I'd be dreading those threatening skies.

I want to go to Index today…..Better fill-up before I set off.

Parts of the 'Railway Road' regularly flood and are closed in the rainy season……..If I was still stuck into a forced schedule like Fondles I'd be dreading those threatening skies.

I would be worried about the new tunnel too during heavy rain........

Personally I have never hit a flooding issue on the railway-line bypass, ( I have waited out rain on Suk, then proceeded to the railway line bypass), certainly I have on Sukhumvit. Only a number of times I couldn't use the tunnel under the railway line at the first junction North end.

Edited by jacko

I got stuck a few times now I don't venture over there if it looks like rain.

I hate being stuck in traffic I could have avoided.

Another thought…….

This could wreak havoc with the timetabling of the Airport bus from Jomtien.

I got stuck a few times now I don't venture over there if it looks like rain.

I hate being stuck in traffic I could have avoided.

Another thought…….

This could wreak havoc with the timetabling of the Airport bus from Jomtien.

Perhaps you mean South of the Motorway?

Yes, airport buses, and taxis will be delayed I expect...... if these, and all the tourist (Pegas) coaches start to drive down through Naklua and Khao Talo etc some knock back. Sill, better than Bangkok, in the 10 worst in the world.

• Upvote 1

An update on the roadworks.

I drove South up the railway line bypass Sunday morning. Normal at the Soi Siam CC road, able to turn right onto it. Stopped at the bank near Numchai, on Suk, work seems to be mainly ripping out of the trees in the central reservation but no major digging. I would say still getting the layout sorted and closing lanes. Also able to turn right South-bound from Suk onto Klang as normal.

Returning later in the afternoon, slow and busy at the Klang/Suk junction, but no worse than a week earlier. The Soi Siam CC lights are disabled, just flashing amber now and there were some traffic cones attempting to prevent right turns off Suk Northbound, although traffic cones don't stop motorcycles and they had been moved around somewhat. Obviously getting out of Soi Siam CC to head North would be nigh impossible for all bar cement trucks. I expect it will be closed off properly soon. I passed by and (illegally) got onto the motorway flyover to rejoin the railway-line bypass Rd.

Some pics at 10am from the pedestrian bridge..

Southbound Sukhumvit.

DSC00077.JPG

Northbound Sukhumvit

DSC00078.JPG

Southbound Rt turn to Klang/

DSC00082.JPG

Exiting Klang to Northbound Suk.

DSC00080.JPG

• Upvote 1

Whilst my soi in prone to flooding (killed my pickup actually) the actual bypass does not flood before Khao Noi, usually it is between Khao Noi and Khao Talo.

when the skys open up I turn into Nernplubwan to avoid my flooded soi and cut back across through the Dao Cafe.

A few pics from today. Most of the vegetation in the central island has now been cleared.

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

As an aside, caught the red light just as it changed yesterday around 5pm northbound on Suk at the Pattaya Tai intersection. They've really fucked up the timing on those lights. Estimate 5 min cycle for each change of light, meaning southbound Suk right on to Tai 5 min green, then right from Tai on to southbound Suk 5 min green, and finally north and south get the green again. Watched as right and then left turning traffic cleared in about 2 minutes. Meanwhile could see southbound Suk traffic backing up from Tai to Klang during the 10 min wait for our green. Also saw several motorbikes running the red light due to no traffic moving through the intersection and frustrated with the long wait for no reason.

Probably explains why we've seen in the past the intersection blocked to turning traffic; easier to do that than adjust the traffic light cycle to match volume of traffic in each direction.

• Upvote 2

Sometimes the police take control of the cycles and they seem to favour 'long ones'.........

For some reason they will keep the green on for anything in the distance, and the other junctions seriously back up and the turn streams get wider and wider. When they do move of course the volume backs up across the junction and then the caterpillar effect takes hold (ignore lights, just tail vehicle in-front).

I have actually avoided Suk/Klang junction twice already this week (unnecessarily as they are still open), using Nua and 3rd/Beach, and felt traffic was OK.

Thanks 4 update.

Edited by jacko

Sometimes the police take control of the cycles and they seem to favour 'long ones'.........

For some reason they will keep the green on for anything in the distance, and the other junctions seriously back up and the turn streams get wider and wider. When they do move of course the volume backs up across the junction and then the caterpillar effect takes hold (ignore lights, just tail vehicle in-front).

I have actually avoided Suk/Klang junction twice already this week (unnecessarily as they are still open), using Nua and 3rd/Beach, and felt traffic was OK.

Thanks 4 update.

Methinks you are living at the wrong end of town. Condos in Jomtien are as cheap as chips at the moment. :smile:

Methinks you are living at the wrong end of town. Condos in Jomtien are as cheap as chips at the moment. :smile:

If one likes lady-boys I am sure you are correct, but tell me this next time you try to get to the airport!

My Mrs reported that right turn off Suk onto Klang was closed off Saturday. Police watching things.

I confirmed that on Sunday, the Suk/Klang lights were off so right out of Klang and in, both 'not available'. Although quite early Sunday I was able to make a right turn off Suk, somewhat riskily, I used a truck as cover.

Soi Siam Country Club is still 2 way and the lights are operational again, so a right turn onto Sukhumvit there to head north possible.... unlike last week... I wish they would at least be consistent but one can't know from one day to the next what is open or closed off! Returning Northbound on Suk I thought the Klang junction would be easy with the lights being off, but no, the Soi Siam Country Club lights had taken over as the main impediment, adding to reduced lanes and a gang of idiots on bikes deciding that was a good spot to regroup into a convoy, as they are scared to ride on their own.

Northbound Sukjumvit.

Soi Siam CC Open.

.DSC00107.JPG

Southbound Sukhumvit.

Klang closed, sort of.

DSC00109.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00108.JPG

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

My Mrs reported that right turn off Suk onto Klang was closed off Saturday. Police watching things.

I confirmed that on Sunday, the Suk/Klang lights were off so right out of Klang and in, both 'not available'. Although quite early Sunday I was able to make a right turn off Suk, somewhat riskily, I used a truck as cover.

Soi Siam Country Club is still 2 way and the lights are operational again, so a right turn onto Sukhumvit there to head north possible.... unlike last week... I wish they would at least be consistent but one can't know from one day to the next what is open or closed off! Returning Northbound on Suk I thought the Klang junction would be easy with the lights being off, but no, the Soi Siam Country Club lights had taken over as the main impediment, adding to reduced lanes and a gang of idiots on bikes deciding that was a good spot to regroup into a convoy, as they are scared to ride on their own.

Northbound Sukjumvit.

Soi Siam CC Open.

.attachicon.gifDSC00107.JPG

Southbound Sukhumvit.

Klang closed, sort of.

attachicon.gifDSC00109.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00110.JPG

Imagine, years more of this!

Imagine, years more of this!

The chaos or the 'reports'....?

The chaos or the 'reports'....?

LOL.

The chaos, of course. It would be useful to have the reports describing the chaos updated as the situation "progresses".