Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

I went into town about 11.00am Monday, and decided to avoid this and turned off Suk into Nua (North Rd), it was really heavy going to 3rd Rd, a lot of coaches making worming my way through difficult. The lights at that junction could do with a longer scheduling for peak in and out traffic but I doubt anything will change. Prohibiting parking on that stretch of Nua would of course help, and the coaches stopping to drop off tourists for the World's biggest jewellery store, and turn into the bus station all impacting badly. I may have to try Sawang Fa and Naklua.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

:clueless it is already this bad. i understand they say it will be done in 2016.

add to this the drain pipes on beach rd coming from 2nd road.

add the tollway construstion on 7. beach repair,concrete barriers to hold the sand.

all of this to be started by march :llaugh chaos

we ain't seen nothing yet. naklu will be very bad also which is means i walk alot.

cheers

They were painting white lines on the railway line bypass rd, heading South lane, just before Soi Siam CC junction yesterday. They were not central, but 1/3rd over from the 'kerb'. We all know white lines are a waste of paint here and normally used by drunks to guide them home, but my thought is...

Getting ready to make no right turn there.... so a 1/3rd left turn and the rest straight on, and the traffic lights will be turned on.

Oh 'aj', the schedule was 3 years (for the tunnel) so that means completion 2018! But we know schedules rarely work out anywhere, never mind here!

They have painted 3 lanes on the railway line bypass heading South towards Soi Siam CC. Soi Siam CC is still open both ways, lights at Suk operating.

Long queues on soi Yume heading towards Klang in the afternoons. (side of Big-CX Mall).

Otherwise traffic not so bad....:whistling:

Edited by jacko

No pics from me tody. I actually avoided the junction going into town, using Nua and 3rd Rd again which is going to have to be my route for a few years I guess.

Coming back later, Northwards on Sukumvit, breezed through the Klang junction, and so I should as the lights are off there and Soi Siam CC. There are concrete barriers there now so both Klang and Soi Siam CC closed, right turns South and North bound respectively. Obviously no longer can a right turn out of Soi Siam CC can be done..... or U-Turn on Suk there. I didn't notice if Soi Siam CC is 2 way traffic or not as I was focused trying to get across Suk to get onto Hwy 7 flyover. Bangkok traffic doesn't like to give anyone way or space!

The noose tightens!

Edited by jacko

I see jacko beat me by a few minutes with his update. But I do have pics, so that has to count for something. :smile:

Pictorial update on the underpass project as of this afternoon.

View to the south

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

Southbound choke point just past Klang intersection wall
IMG_0843.jpg
Looking north
IMG_0846.jpg
Something looked different at the SCC intersection
IMG_0847.jpg
On closer inspection I find the SCC intersection now has a wall of its own
IMG_0853.jpg
This means the only way now for us brightsiders to get to the darkside is to travel north past the Hwy 7 flyover and do a U turn, or head south on one of Pattaya's city streets to Pattaya Tai.
  • Upvote 1

I took a drive up the railway line bypass today, to see how things are progressing.

Not much change from forcebwithu's reporting above. North and South on Sukhumvit is much the same as last weekend, some delay where it narrows just after Klang southbound.

DSC00118.JPG

The inconvenience is ongoing, how about you get going with the digging!

Soi Siam CC has been blocked off completely, which surprised me as I thought the plan was to make it one way.

This is what will greet you if you turn left off Sukhumvit onto soi Siam CC at the railway line Rd (you can still turn to head north).

DSC00119.JPG

DSC00120.JPG

So, I had to go straight on to Soi Nerm Plub Wan, where a right turn is still possible, police directing traffic there.

It may be possible to U-Turn there or at Soi Siam CC, head North and get onto Hwy 7 towards Sukhumvit, which was open...BUT... I didn't try it to confirm if the traffic lights and road are open to turn right onto Sukhumvit Northbound there.

Edited by jacko

This is where threads meet. I'd been to Telephone bar found nothing to my liking….. and I ain't fussy. But had to U turn on Suk to get onto the rail road to head over to Paradise, Black sheep etc. lots of new one ways. Couldn't get a left in. Had to go back on myself a long way..... Then no problem other than when I got to the DS bars the girls now want to go to a hotel which is
400 baht on top of the bar fine.

Edited by atlas2

Jacko scooped me again. :smile:

Here's another update on Sukhumvit underpass construction and what’s happening with lane closures on the side Soi’s.
View looking south
01.jpg
02.jpg
View to the north. Last of the central island “artwork” is gone.
03.jpg
Note the highway signs are still directing traffic to closed intersections.
Editorial comment about the temporary directional signs they've put up and down the roads. The biggest mistake is not only do the large, green, overhead signs not reflect current turning restrictions, but they would be the perfect place to put the temporary directional signs. So instead they put them up wherever there is a convenient post.
04.jpg
They finally realized having two ways to turn left on to Suk from Klang wasn’t helping traffic congestion. Now the top of Klang is walled off.
05.jpg
Choke point southbound at the Klang intersection
07.jpg
Reason for the barricade on the left is it looks like they’re putting a foundation in for something. Have to keep an eye out for what grows from this hole.
08.jpg
Here’s a big lesson why Thai should not be allowed to translate into English driving directions. There use of “One Way” is wrong and confusing.
09.jpg
What it should read is “No Left Turn” as you can see in this pic of the Boonsampun (Kho Noi) intersection.
10.jpg
  • Upvote 1
On a positive note, the resurfacing of Suk is now finished, so no more backups there.

12.jpg

U turn just after Kho Noi is still open with cones on the northbound side to keep U Turning traffic from backing up.

13.jpg

If you can read this sign, your x-ray vision is better than mine.

14 KT.jpg

For those like me who have non-functioning x-ray vision, this is what the sign says.

15 KT.jpg

And it is true. They’re not allowing traffic to turn in to Kho Talo from Suk.

16 KT.jpg

From either direction. Not sure how that is supposed to help or relieve traffic congestion.

17 KT.jpg

At the Kho Talo and railroad access road intersection they have this informative sign. Which begs the question, how is it helpful or meaningful to those coming from that direction.

18 KT.jpg

Looking towards Suk, the view of the Kho Talo and railroad access road intersection. Note that traffic can travel both directions through this intersection. It’s only the intersection with Suk that has turning restrictions.

19 KT.jpg

The access road cut through halfway between Kho Talo and Kho Noi is open with no restrictions.

20.jpg

• Upvote 1
Kho Noi and access road intersection has no turning restrictions.

21 KN.jpg

But Nern Pub Wan and access road intersection kind of, sort of, maybe does. Looking towards Suk, the sign says only left turn allowed.

22 NBW.jpg

Looking the other way there is a very confusing sign.

23 NBW.jpg

Think it’s probably just as confusing to everyone else, including the traffic cop, as I saw traffic passing through the intersection and making turns with wild abandon.

24 NBW.jpg

On the other hand, the Soi Siam Country Club and access road intersection it was clear they meant business. View with my back to Suk.

25 SCC.jpg

Then again, maybe they were only kidding with the concrete barrier, at least if you were on a motorbike. Witnessed the copper stopping cars from sneaking around the barrier, but motorbikes got a free pass. YMMV on that one though, so wouldn't count on it if you’re trying to get from Suk to SCC.

26 SCC.jpg

Another view of the SCC and access road intersection looking south.

27 SCC.jpg

Here is one just for the darkside MM. it is a bit clearer.

Will see if I can find something better for the otherside.

x11015216_887864467917474_41759499764626

lol I went fishing yesterday on Darkside, hoping to turn at Klang had to go way past almost Pattaya Nua, the road I travel to get to the park had a sign saying one way from 25th ,, no idea which way...

Can you go from Sth rd Sukumvit along Sukumvit to the hiway to Bangkok? Also the opposite then turning right onto Sth rd?

I'm hoping my taxi driver knows but might tell her to come a bit earlier. Getting picked up at 8:30am for a 12:30 flight

Saw this posted on Facebook...no idea if it helps or not.

attachicon.giftunnel routes.jpg

If it wasn't for the roundabout I would never have figured out where to start.!

Here is one just for the darkside MM. it is a bit clearer.

Will see if I can find something better for the otherside.

x11015216_887864467917474_41759499764626

That appears to show Klang to Suk northbound as open, I thought it had been closed off.

It also appears you can still come from the motorway,and get on to Sukhumvit to head North... any comment there as that would work for me.

Edited by jacko

Can you go from Sth rd Sukumvit along Sukumvit to the hiway to Bangkok? Also the opposite then turning right onto Sth rd?

I'm hoping my taxi driver knows but might tell her to come a bit earlier. Getting picked up at 8:30am for a 12:30 flight

Yes, well you could on Sunday!

As to the opposite, well the entrance to the motorway towards Suk from the Railway line Rd was open yesterday so logic says there has to be a way to get out! (I was going to turn in there yesterday to check it out, but had a fuck-it, I am going home moment. :D)

One way to getting into town is to come in on the motorway, you can get onto Suk north and Southbound. An option with Soi Siam CC being closed off.

I had some very slow trips down North Rd due to heavy traffic, last Thursday for example, compounded by market and heavy traffic on Beach Rd.

I also got a good drenching on Monday, followed by riding through heavy traffic and flood water on Beach Rd between Soi 6 and 10.

Then last night, fearing the worst, I set off at 7pm to get to Soi Bongkot by 8....... from Hwy 36/Suk area, in the truck. I was there too early at 7.30pm! Quite easy going on Sukhumvit/North Rd, and 3rd Rd. Not sure if the holiday affected things or people are just staying home!

Edited by jacko