Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

No surprise it's delayed, but quite a few bullshit excuses spouted by the on-site foreman quoted in the article. IMHO it's piss poor project management that's caused the delay. The lack of planning was evident at the very beginning of the project with no real coherent plan to deal with the traffic chaos the construction would cause. Two months into the project they finally got around with a half-assed, poorly thought out traffic diversion around the construction site which only made the traffic problem worse. Like no left turn on to Khao Noi

28997702094_3912d45634_n.jpg

And an attempt to make Soi Nern Plub Whan one way from Suk to the railroad line

28997693944_2237f8d3cd_n.jpg

As for drainage, the requirements for the underpass are minimal as it's really just a big, covered trench cut through the top of the rise at the Klang intersection. The entrances are designed with slight elevation increase before entry into the underpass. This will serve to keep storm water from flowing into the underpass.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

"Update: Tithiwat Anuruthikul, head of operations for the Central Road bypass tunnel project, said the tunnel might be opened for use on April 13."

At least he didn't say April 1!

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Seven days to opening day, if the press reports are to be believed.
Northbound lane markings are done
33744241896_3e80d9de85_b.jpg
Grass is laid.
33744240876_27ab35a77d_b.jpg
Klang intersection is getting its final coat of tarmac
33744240726_f181ecce6b_b.jpg
33655607831_e7efc59ba0_b.jpg
33744243006_f08b388672_b.jpg
33744243626_3dde1d2faa_b.jpg
Looking south
33744245216_4ccab4edc1_b.jpg
Finishing up the landscaping at the Klang intersection
33744247716_7f137725d2_b.jpg
Looking north. Tents for the opening party?
33744249936_4723cdf9aa_b.jpg
33744248366_8107bc8ef9_b.jpg
High security at the underpass entrance
33744249406_87d445ea1b_b.jpg
33400369760_40f514e25c_b.jpg
33744251016_8e716a207d_b.jpg
33400370460_0cd1489306_b.jpg
Wiring almost done
33744252586_ae10ca541c_b.jpg
33744253696_7054676e57_b.jpg
33400371740_5e81816cf5_b.jpg
Southend wall decorations still WIP
33744255106_61d04be6ac_b.jpg
33744255976_205a33856e_b.jpg
Thai version of storm water drains. Good thing we never get any heavy rains here.
33744257856_0c2eb4cf60_b.jpg
33400373480_51ebffcfbc_b.jpg

• Upvote 3

It's the new 1Billion Dollar monorail...

OK, it is a base for support structure.

A billion dollars that goes how far? Sounds like our California boondoggle, high speed rail or the Oahu train boondoggle.

Money is so easy to spend when it is not yours.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Rode through it yesterday heading North. Still a big traffic jam but of course the tunnel part is not open yet, Actually as I was on my bike I was able to go around a few concrete barriers and get to the entrance of Soi Siam CC , by taking a life risking cut across southbound traffic. I am a little concerned that so much space on the surface seems to have been wasted. There is still going to be a lot of traffic there as Soi Siam CC, Nerm Plab Wan and Klang all meet, And of course Sukhumvit. It is where mini-buses have traditionally stopped to pick up, and traffic behind them be damned. There is a frequent issue further South for Northbound traffic as about 40+ large coaches seem to arrive all at the same time each morning to deliver Chinese tourists to Rubber World.

Soon Northbound traffic will be able to bypass the junction at Klang to get to the queue at Nua (and the Motorway lights) more quickly, and Southbound get to the queue at Tai and the U-Turns! The police (when running short) will perhaps start their road blocks on that patch again to add to delays.

The issues with traffic have changed in the last 3 years and have gone beyond a one tunnel solution.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Rode through it yesterday heading North. Still a big traffic jam but of course the tunnel part is not open yet, Actually as I was on my bike I was able to go around a few concrete barriers and get to the entrance of Soi Siam CC , by taking a life risking cut across southbound traffic. I am a little concerned that so much space on the surface seems to have been wasted. There is still going to be a lot of traffic there as Soi Siam CC, Nerm Plab Wan and Klang all meet, And of course Sukhumvit. It is where mini-buses have traditionally stopped to pick up, and traffic behind them be damned. There is a frequent issue further South for Northbound traffic as about 40+ large coaches seem to arrive all at the same time each morning to deliver Chinese tourists to Rubber World.

Soon Northbound traffic will be able to bypass the junction at Klang to get to the queue at Nua (and the Motorway lights) more quickly, and Southbound get to the queue at Tai and the U-Turns! The police (when running short) will perhaps start their road blocks on that patch again to add to delays.

The issues with traffic have changed in the last 3 years and have gone beyond a one tunnel solution.

You bring up point that I have been pondering since this project began.

What's the benefit of this project?

• 2 weeks later...

You bring up point that I have been pondering since this project began.

What's the benefit of this project?

to waste a LOT of money and time to line someones pocket, oops sorry, to get an extra one traffic lane each way for a relatively short distance.

• Upvote 1

to waste a LOT of money and time to line someones pocket, oops sorry, to get an extra one traffic lane each way for a relatively short distance.

that's what it looks like to me....just using the central median to build a tunnel which is no wider than the surface area. and yea, for just a short distance.

BOONDOGGLE.

• 2 weeks later...

that's what it looks like to me....just using the central median to build a tunnel which is no wider than the surface area. and yea, for just a short distance.

BOONDOGGLE.

It is taking a rather nasty set of traffic lights out of the picture when you're going down Sukhumvit.

It is taking a rather nasty set of traffic lights out of the picture when you're going down Sukhumvit.

Yes, so you can arrive at another set!

I haven't been through this junction since pre-Songkran, my last few trips preferring to take on North Rd and 3rd. When it is fully open,, I will be hoping to turn right and left off/onto Sukhumvit and Klang efficiently without waiting 10 minutes having my head broiled in my helmet. At this point I can see it being difficult for me, for example, to wend my way over to the right, after turning off Klang, onto Sukhumvit heading North, and getting across a snake of traffic from the tunnel to get to the motorway entrance flyover. Me and many I suspect. Thai driving is not known for giving way or leaving much space between yourself and the car in front.

Nevertheless I look forward to the day this thread becomes redundant.

Edited by jacko

A select few made a lot of money.....!

For the cost of one tunnel they could have built overpasses at the 3 main intersections and really sped up the traffic, and built them in less time....but probably not as much money in it for the chosen ones

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A select few made a lot of money.....!

For the cost of one tunnel they could have built overpasses at the 3 main intersections and really sped up the traffic, and built them in less time....but probably not as much money in it for the chosen ones

I think the motorway overpass made that idea difficult, although there seems to be some tunnel fixation.

I drove through on the bike yesterday. Heading South you still have to pass Klang and go all the way to the next U-Turn.

Coming off Klang to head North is straightforward and close to complete. I actually got on further North as I came down Soi Yume, and then the Soi Paniad Chang alley 7 (turn right at wet market/7-11.) As expected, on my little bike, dodgy getting across to the motorway (Hwy 7) ramp, although tunnel not open yet.

Edited by jacko

I think the motorway overpass made that idea difficult, although there seems to be some tunnel fixation.

I drove through on the bike yesterday. Heading South you still have to pass Klang and go all the way to the next U-Turn.

Coming off Klang to head North is straightforward and close to complete. I actually got on further North as I came down Soi Yume, and then the Soi Paniad Chang alley 7 (turn right at wet market/7-11.) As expected, on my little bike, dodgy getting across to the motorway (Hwy 7) ramp, although tunnel not open yet.

It'll be good for me when the escalator pedestrian crossing is finished ... My Great Grandchildren will be able to take my ashes there when it opens.... Until then I will continue to cross at Pattaya Tai and use Arunothai ....

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be good for me when the escalator pedestrian crossing is finished ... My Great Grandchildren will be able to take my ashes there when it opens.... Until then I will continue to cross at Pattaya Tai and use Arunothai ....

The thread can't close until the pedestrian bridge is completed.. so good luck!!!

Pattaya Underpass facing further delays

The Pattaya underpass project is set to be even further delayed due to ongoing discussions regarding an unfinished part of the project.

The problem facing them is that a bridge at the start of the tunnel that was meant to be built to assist handicapped pedestrians is yet to be started.

The rest of the tunnel is pretty much completed, with a few minor issues to be resolved, yet the whole project could be further delayed due to the missing bridge.

The deadline has been put back numerous times already, but it was announced that a final completion date would be early February 2017. That date has now expired 3 months ago.

A revised hand over date of May 22nd was agreed but it doesn’t look very likely that they will meet this deadline either.

Apart from the missing bridge, reports suggest the all other aspects including the lighting, signage and barriers as well as other infrastructure was now 100% complete. The tunnel itself covers 1.9 kilometers along the main Sukhumvit road.

The Department of Rural Roads were still in discussions with the contractor regarding the handicap bridge and are looking for answers as to why it has not been completed.

The department feel it is important for the whole project to be completed before handing it over, as handing over an incomplete project may very well cause further problems and delays further down the line.

From http://pattayaone.news/en/pattaya-underpass-delays/

I rode through it both on Sunday and yesterday. Invalid bridge notwithstanding.....

Tunnel is not open in either direction, traffic is still impeded by work in both directions.

North bound flow, which had been moving well last week, was tailed back on a quiet Sunday, as where the traffic is pushed over to the left by closure of a right lane, some small works was impeding traffic on the left at exactly the same place... good one guys. nevertheless work was ongoing.

It was again difficult to get across a few lanes of traffic to get onto the motorway flyover heading North. A stiff neck did not help! Soi Siam CC traffic lights, when working, may make that easier, as well as giving that option to get to the Railway line bypass Rd.

I am guessing, when opened to much fanfare whenever, things will look rather wonderful to drivers. If only relative to the hell it has been for 3 years, rather than how bad it was before they broke ground with a shovel.

Edited by jacko

Northbound entrance sign under wraps, waiting for the unveiling on 28 Feb, 1 May, 22 May???
34548500035_a5811dfd7b_b.jpg

A few pics from the pedestrian bridge, which leaves me wondering; they were smart enough to build the new pedestrian bridge during the construction of the underpass. How does it happen they just now discovered there was another, handicap accessible bridge that needs to be built before they can open the underpass?
34162743990_cf7c10c76c_b.jpg

Work continues on the dolphins' mosaic playground. I think from ground level this central island art piece will look pretty good, especially lit up at night
33705894744_a9df3d3174_b.jpg

View to the south
34162742760_f89390cf10_b.jpg

Work continues, slowly, on resurfacing of the final northbound lane.
33705891734_c01eee814d_b.jpg

Landscaping of the Klang instersection is also continuing at a glacial pace.
34162741540_f937aba85f_b.jpg

Unfortunately the force wasn't with me as the shields to the underpass were up. So no pics from the down under today.
33705890234_8d8c8c2671_b.jpg

However on the northside entrance I thought I might have caught a break seeing a worker who looked like he was about to unlock the gate.
34162741110_9b64d756d1_b.jpg

Turns out the shield to the underpass is an optical illusion, with an opening just big enough for a single person to squeeze through.
34418227291_922c22bd6b_b.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest news report...

Pattaya underpass expected to be ready end of May

Officials connected to the building of the 1.9km Cantral Pattaya underpass are confident everything will be ready by the end of May 2017.

Contractors and representatives from the Department of Rural Roads were holding a meeting at the Grand Soleil Hotel in Pattaya yesterday, reported STV Pattaya.

They announced that the project – at a cost of 800 million baht – will be delivered as per the contract though it is several months behind schedule. February was originally mooted for the opening after construction started back in 2014.

All of the major infrastructure of the tunnel is complete and there are just a few matters of surfacing, signage and lighting to finish, said Rachan Janthorn of the department of Rural Roads.

No opening date was given in the Sophon Cable TV story on Facebook but it was stated that the building of a bridge for handicapped people would not delay the opening of the tunnel as had been previously feared.

Both locals and holidaymakers alike will be happy to finally see the tunnel open, after the problems it has caused for traffic moving both ways.

I wouldn’t hold your breath though, the key word coming out of the meeting was ‘expected”, which sounds more hopeful than certain to me.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, there is a few matters of surfacing to be addressed. I tried to get onto Sukhumvit via the side road between Numchai and The Bangkok Bank and needed to give the engine a good bit of throttle, it could best be described as a ditch!

Had to go to Numchai yesterday to buy a '1 cup hot water dispenser'...(great time and electricity saver)......and my little Yaris had to negotiate said 'ditch' with extreme care.

Traffic was running smoothly on Suk' however and the 8th Wonder of the World did indeed look complete.