Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

I was traveling northbound late this morning and was surprised to see traffic turning from the southbound lanes on to Klang. It was only when I got up to the intersection that I saw they were using the northbound u-turn to sneak across to Klang. Actually it wasn't really "sneaking", it was more like barging their way across northbound traffic to Klang.

About an hour later on my way back on the southbound side saw a cop standing at the intersection putting a stop to the illegal use of the u-turn lane.

Another thing I've noticed, drivers on the southbound lanes are not paying attention to the lane markings and are fighting their way back into the southbound thru lanes when they come to the right turn traffic island at the top of the right turn only lanes. This is really slowing down southbound traffic at the intersection as drivers are stopping to let the idiots merge in.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

Basically, it is all a bit of a mess at an extremely busy junction, caused by something designed to alleviate, it that they won't open!

Hard to anticipate what you will come across each day at this junction......

• 2 weeks later...

Pattaya One News

Don’t hold your breath, but the Pattaya underpass is due to open on August 25th

So after weeks, no, make that months of delays reagrading the Pattaya underpass, an official opening date has finally been set for August 25th.

The news came after a press conference which was held and it was announced that after over 3 years and 840 million baht, the project will finally be handed over.

I have lost count of the times that a date has been set for completion, however, so it remains to be seen whether the authorities will stick to this one.

They did mention that they still have a few small issues to fix, such as getting a team of “experts” in to maintain and look after the underpass.

The local authority have decided that the builders will do that in the meantime before a more permanent solution is found.

Spokesman Phinit Maneerat with the chief engineer Sunthorn Sompramai at his side said that the Department of Rural Roads had given the green light to Pattaya mayor Anan Charoenchasri.

It is though that the tunnel will be a huge component in helping ease the congested Sukhumvit road, especially in peak hour times of the day.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The long awaited underpass opening is happening today. According to the E-sign the opening is at 22:00.
35982223173_d398c60df7_b.jpg
The previously covered sign is now uncovered.
36394292400_0ed878b6b5_b.jpg
BIB making sure no one turns left on to Klang as it is now VIP parking.
36394293310_7440d37e82_b.jpg
35956706554_ee9f889798_b.jpg
Small party at the underpass control booth.
36394293630_eac486d477_b.jpg
More BIB directing traffic at the Klang intersection.
35956706824_04e5bc6945_b.jpg
Looks like the big dig for burying the electric is suspended for the day.
36394293940_309ceeac0d_b.jpg
Klang intersection almost open for business.
35982224373_253afe22f7_b.jpg
U-turn from southbound to northbound is open.
36394294080_f3ea0575fe_b.jpg
View to the south
36621097402_0af960254c_b.jpg
36394294350_e1c3eaf2e5_b.jpg
Southbound Klang intersection is a clusterfuck though. Five lanes reduces to two for through traffic, and as drivers don't pay attention to road markings those in the right turn only lane are surprised to find their lane ends at the traffic light island. Making matters worse are the buses I see frequently stopped just past the lights to take on and let off passengers. So at those times the five lanes become one. I imagine we'll see some "tweaking" of this intersection as the Thai engineers, through trial and error finally get it right.
35982224923_20401963cb_b.jpg
And the view to the north
36394294550_00bcfff9e0_b.jpg
36394294780_c6ba7ab1f9_b.jpg
35982225273_aecfe9275a_b.jpg
And speaking of VIP's. These pics were taking right around 15:00. According to the announcements, the ceremony was supposed to start at 15:00, but VIP's around the world exist to prove their importance by making everyone wait for them. So not much happening at the moment.
36394294890_9bcdc9b388_b.jpg
35982225573_4bd38b26a2_b.jpg
This looked like the "green" room for the party's entertainment.
35956706474_19d0f2510f_b.jpg
There are VIP's and then there are the really important VIP's. Suspect they'll be a motorcade bringing the big wigs to fill the front row seats, but I decided my time was more important than their's to wait around.
36394292820_20472b260d_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like the VIP's motorcade got caught in traffic.

Like I did earlier that day.... no fun driving up Sukhumvit!

I shall go through the junction on Sunday, not the tunnel! Hopefully I can get back to my routine of over 3 years ago. I did notice that some of the turns on Klang were blocked off near Suk. No sign yet of the cable burying job that is likely to create the next traffic jams.

I shall go through the junction on Sunday, not the tunnel! Hopefully I can get back to my routine of over 3 years ago. I did notice that some of the turns on Klang were blocked off near Suk. No sign yet of the cable burying job that is likely to create the next traffic jams.

Where does the tunnel start and end?

Where does the tunnel start and end?

Well Sukhumvit , a km either side of Klang, About the North Star library to the Boxing stadium.

The dolphin roundabout. I always thought of it as purely decorative but here we have another dolphin fountain. Is the dolphin significant to the city?

Ancient history I think some drunk sextourist thought he saw one in the bay,

There are dolphins on top of all the light posts going down Nua.

Edited by jacko

Cable burying is happening on Klang. They started about a week ago, but suspended operations yesterday as I imagine the VIP motorcade wouldn't like it if they had to wait for lowly construction workers. This is a pic of the area they're currently digging up.

The photo record wouldn't be complete w/o a pic of the opened underpass. Taken this morning...
35998680853_5696b129e2_b.jpg

My first photo of the construction was on 11 Jan, 2015. Since then 2 years, 7 months and 14 days have elapsed to yesterday's opening. Even with the missed opening dates, the original reports called for three years of construction. So by that measure I'd have to give them credit for finishing within that period. For those interested, here's a link to a photo album of the construction from start to finish.

• Upvote 2

Cable burying is happening on Klang. They started about a week ago, but suspended operations yesterday as I imagine the VIP motorcade wouldn't like it if they had to wait for lowly construction workers. This is a pic of the area they're currently digging up.

Doesn't look dug up yet.....

I saw the barriers Friday and guessed it was just part of the tunnel opening dog and pony show.

Edited by jacko

Doesn't look dug up yet.....

I saw the barriers Friday and guessed it was just part of the tunnel opening dog and pony show.

They're actually being smart about the digging. Only doing small sections at a time to minimize the traffic disruption. Once one section is completed they back fill and cover and then move on to the next.

So now you will be able to race through the Klang intersection .....only to wait at the Pattaya Tai intersection.! For the cost of this one tunnel they could have built 3 overpasses at all the major junctions, probably in a similar time frame.

• Upvote 2

Hi.

I drove through this underpass this morning :)

The signage is very unclear about motorbikes but I followed the many bikes in front of me.

Also the very big board must be in test-mode and was showing "We have an accident. Access closed" with hundred of cars going full speed inside it ;)

BTW we are in August 2017, very far of the "Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)" that this topic promised ;)

Hi.

The signage is very unclear about motorbikes but I followed the many bikes in front of me.

Also the very big board must be in test-mode and was showing "We have an accident. Access closed" with hundred of cars going full speed inside it ;)

BTW we are in August 2017, very far of the "Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)" that this topic promised ;)

I drove through there a few days ago and I thought the signage was very clear that motor cycles were not allowed in the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi.

Shhh... who says the chaos has stopped yet?

I too was in the area Sunday morning. Heading South off the slip-road and turning right at the lights onto Klang worked fine, about the same as it was before they started all this except U-turners are accommodated with their own lane and turn. Heading back Northwards there was a bit of a mess as traffic exited the tunnel mixed with sliproad traffic and they tried to decide whether they were going to get onto the flyover to the motorway or stay on Sukhumvit. Thais don't do merging and filtering together very well as it is all about 'me'. Yes you would expect to have a good bit of Bangkok bound traffic on a Sunday afternoon, but it was a wet day and quiet in town. Might be a bit messy on a January holiday weekend. Traffic comes out of the tunnel quite fast to this delay. These two flows trying to cross each other is an issue.

Early days....

So now you will be able to race through the Klang intersection .....only to wait at the Pattaya Tai intersection.! For the cost of this one tunnel they could have built 3 overpasses at all the major junctions, probably in a similar time frame.

A tunnel under Tai and threpasit is planned.

Doing my weekly shopping at foodland yesterday it was nice to be finally able resume my normal route, shopping and travel time under an hour its been years since that was possible unless I went shopping at 6am.

A tunnel under Tai and threpasit is planned.

Doing my weekly shopping at foodland yesterday it was nice to be finally able resume my normal route, shopping and travel time under an hour its been years since that was possible unless I went shopping at 6am.

Haha, yes nice to have the shit scared out of me by people suddenly deciding to turn right for Foodland, I have missed that.

Came through it Northbound today then onto the flyover....pretty slick actually.

Had an OOOPS moment when I saw the huge sign over the entrance with 'Height' incorrectly spelled! In no position to take a picture though....

I drove through there a few days ago and I thought the signage was very clear that motor cycles were not allowed in the tunnel.

There is a huge board over the road that (sometimes) show a big clear "no motorbike" sign, but several messages+images that scroll on this board and you can not see it while you drive there.

There is also another normal board on the right side of the street that says "no motorbike, no tuktuk, etc..." but I didn't see it the first day I drove here.

6pm.jpg.c2344b6519662277d4c860703165a6f5

Edited by Idefix

I drove Northbound through the tunnel as I posted above, on my little Yammy, and failed to see any No motorbike signs.

I did see the one prohibiting them on the motorway flyover, as I exited the tunnel, and went onto the motorway flyover. :whistling:

Edited by jacko

I drove Northbound through the tunnel as I posted above, on my little Yammy, and failed to see any No motorbike signs.

I did see the one prohibiting them on the motorway flyover, as I exited the tunnel, and went onto the motorway flyover. :whistling:

:rotflmao

And MM made this scofflaw a moderator?

j/k

• Upvote 1