Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

In case you missed it, reported by Pattaya One News. Most interesting in the article was the report the underpass extractor fans weren't working. Another fine example of Thai workmanship at its best.

Police repeat restrictions for Pattaya underpass

On Tuesday August 29th, the head of Pattaya police held a press conference to highlight the restrictions to using the new underpass, which only recently opened.

He said that the restrictions were in place for the safety of the people using the underpass, and that heavy fines would be made should the rules be broken.

At the moment, restricted vehicles include motorbikes, tuk tuks, bicycles, and vehicles carrying dangerous goods.

The restrictions are, in fact, there for a good reason too. So far, the extractor fans inside the tunnel, which are there to get rid of all the emission gasses from the high volume of vehicles using the tunnel are not working.

Gas levels were recently tested and results came back confirming that gas levels were well above what would be classed as “safe to breath”.

Work has started already trying to fix the problem, in fact, at around 9pm on Tuesday night, the inside lane heading towards Bangkok was blocked off, and work crews were busy operating on the fans.

Engineers hope that the problem will be fixed in the very near future, but until then, police have urged people to stick to the rules for their own safety, as well as avoiding any fines that will be thrown their way.

An announcement is expected in the next couple of days regarding the progress of the work.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

In case you missed it, reported by Pattaya One News. Most interesting in the article was the report the underpass extractor fans weren't working. Another fine example of Thai workmanship at its best.

On Tuesday August 29th, the head of Pattaya police held a press conference to highlight the restrictions to using the new underpass, which only recently opened.

He said that the restrictions were in place for the safety of the people using the underpass, and that heavy fines would be made should the rules be broken.

At the moment, restricted vehicles include motorbikes, tuk tuks, bicycles, and vehicles carrying dangerous goods.

The restrictions are, in fact, there for a good reason too. So far, the extractor fans inside the tunnel, which are there to get rid of all the emission gasses from the high volume of vehicles using the tunnel are not working.

Gas levels were recently tested and results came back confirming that gas levels were well above what would be classed as “safe to breath”.

Work has started already trying to fix the problem, in fact, at around 9pm on Tuesday night, the inside lane heading towards Bangkok was blocked off, and work crews were busy operating on the fans.

Engineers hope that the problem will be fixed in the very near future, but until then, police have urged people to stick to the rules for their own safety, as well as avoiding any fines that will be thrown their way.

An announcement is expected in the next couple of days regarding the progress of the work.

How long can one hold one's breath?

Apparently 24 min and 3 sec

Unless traffic is at a complete standstill, that guy would have no problem traversing the tunnel, exhaust fans or no exhaust fans.

Me? I doubt I would have a pulmonary arrest but I would probably be coughing for a while.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Unless traffic is at a complete standstill, that guy would have no problem traversing the tunnel, exhaust fans or no exhaust fans.

Me? I doubt I would have a pulmonary arrest but I would probably be coughing for a while.

He might have to wait for for the underpass to flood... or live in Houston. ;)

• Upvote 1

Wasnt the opening delay due to not being able to find qualified operators to run the tunnel, and now they are saying vital safety systems are defective ?

Suspect the issue would carbon monoxide, not a biggy with the vent closed and the traffic moving. If you came to a full stop in the tunnel, you might not want to wait too long before trying to walk out.

Makes me wonder who decided on a tunnel. An overpass needs minimal maintenance and would have been much cheaper. TIT!

Makes me wonder who decided on a tunnel. An overpass needs minimal maintenance and would have been much cheaper. TIT!

As mentioned before, I think the motorway flyover is in the way..... had an overpass been used I guess that would have had to be rebuilt to tie them together. Complicated stuff for the region.

Does anyone know how the tunnel handled the much publicised recent rains that had some of the usual sois doing river impersonations.

We haven't had any serious downpours in my area North of town, one night of persistent light rain I can recollect. Theory has it as the entrances are raised water should not flow into the tunnel. That said it has to flow somewhere.

Does anyone know how the tunnel handled the much publicised recent rains that had some of the usual sois doing river impersonations.

Bit of rain the other night, Tunnel was fine and for it to flood the water would need to be higher than this walk over.

IMG_4502(1).JPG

We haven't had any serious downpours in my area North of town, one night of persistent light rain I can recollect. Theory has it as the entrances are raised water should not flow into the tunnel. That said it has to flow somewhere.

Bit of rain the other night, Tunnel was fine and for it to flood the water would need to be higher than this walk over.

IMG_4502(1).JPG

Thank you gentlemen for your feed back. Being a cynic I was curious if it became the potential water feature some had predicted.

I see some wag in a red sports car stopped in the tunnel to take pictures!

tunnel.jpg

Edited by jacko

Are those your skinny legs?

I am a macho truck type!

I see some wag in a red sports car stopped in the tunnel to take pictures!

attachicon.giftunnel.jpg

He made the Channel 7 news as he got to have some conversations with the police. Edited by nkped
  • 2 weeks later...

Well some chaos persists.....

As I rode my little yammy Southbound on Sukhumvit yesterday morning, I positioned myself to keep my choices open, I was debating whether to use the new lights to get into Klang, or to pass on by and use the U-Turn and get onto Suk 42/2, cut through over Arunothai and pass by Pirates etc to Bongkhot, and pop out onto 3rd rd.....As luck would have it, the Right turn light went green, so I slipped in-front of the dopey locals as they put their phones down, and got onto Klang. Big mistake.... cable digging roadworks queued all the way back, traffic from Northbound Suk trying to push in, and so tight even the bikes could not squeeze through. This all could have been done when the tunnel was under construction and Klang was near empty and closed off at the top!

It also struck me that traffic would move better if people were not still permitted to park Kerbside along Klang in the vicinity of the work where traffic has to merge. Merge is perhaps the wrong word, fight and jam up describes it better. Am I condemned to continue as per tunnel construction times?

Edited by jacko

Noticed the construction backup yesterday too. Didn't venture down Klang so no idea why it should have been backed up as it was. Other days traffic was moving, albeit slowly, but still moving. Yesterday it looked like traffic was at a standstill.

As for construction time. They seem to be moving along at a good clip so the construction bottleneck should soon move past the Arunothai/Klang intersection. At that point you'll have more options to bypass the construction area.

Noticed the construction backup yesterday too. Didn't venture down Klang so no idea why it should have been backed up as it was. Other days traffic was moving, albeit slowly, but still moving. Yesterday it looked like traffic was at a standstill.

As for construction time. They seem to be moving along at a good clip so the construction bottleneck should soon move past the Arunothai/Klang intersection. At that point you'll have more options to bypass the construction area.

Yes I usually turn left onto Arunothai and down soi Sophon... bump-bump-bump, but if it backs up like it did Monday there is still likelihood of delays.

Yesterday I did continue past and make the U-Turn on Sukhumvit. On a small bike and needing to head right, one has to watch the traffic exiting the tunnel.... some come out of there racing! I am using Soi Yume to avoid Klang heading out of town.

So last night I am thinking, great, roadworks on Klang will be finished for the day, so I can have a hassle free ride into town in the evening.

Wrong.... roadworks at the Soi Siam CC and Railway line bypass junction with police controlling traffic there, tailed back 1/2 km. There is nobody like the Thai police for causing traffic jam ups.

Edited by jacko
sp

So last night I am thinking, great, roadworks on Klang will be finished for the day, so I can have a hassle free ride into town in the evening.

Wrong.... roadworks at the Soi Siam CC and Railway line bypass junction with police controlling traffic there, tailed back 1/2 km. There is nobody like the Thai police for causing trafic jam ups.

I've noticed that too. Thai police are worse than useless in controlling traffic. Just make the traffic backups worse.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • 1 month later...

The inconvenience isn't quite over......

On a rare occasion I wanted to get to South Pattaya in the truck, I was thinking, no problems!

Twats, they have the tunnel shut today, I don't recall being warned about this! You can imagine the traffic and the argy-bargy this caused. Who knows why what-for, but what do thousands of drivers matter!

Edited by jacko