Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

The inconvenience isn't quite over......

On a rare occasion I want to get to South Pattaya in the truck, I was thinking, no problems!

Twats, they have the tunnel shut today, I don't reacll being warned about this! You can imagine the traffic and the argy-bargy this caused. Who knows why what-for, but what do thousands of drivers matter!

Saw it mentioned on another board they were shutting the underpass down today due to a planned power outage in the area. Never saw a news report of the same though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

Three years was a pleasant surprise, but they haven't done messing with you yet!

On a Friday afternoon, when weekend traffic is upon us, Tai is queuing from Sukhumvit to 2nd, and I want to get to Klang, no problems, get onto Sukhumvit and straight down and left. But no, they close the whole sliproad and main turn road into Klang!

What are people supposed to do who have got off the motorway and want to get into Pattaya?

• 2 weeks later...

Went through the underpass last night and noticed only about 70% of the lighting now works, and the previously mentioned problems with the road surface seems to be getting worse. While not yet crumbling, the road surface has many dips to it that indicate a failure of the subsurface. Pretty sad statement on Thai construction quality given the the underpass has only been open a little more than three months.

• Upvote 1

I thought there were some road works on Klang this AM, as it was tailed back to Sukhumvit and stationary.

Nope, just a coach double parked and 2 others trying to turn right, same spot into the #6 alley after Foodland, what the hell is there down there?

• 7 months later...

IIRC, the original underpass project included plans for a handicap accessible walk over bridge. Noticed about six months ago they had started construction of that overpass. Until today I hadn't thought about taking pics, and as it turns out there was no rush to do so. Considering they've been working on it for over six months, not much progress to show for the effort.

Walkway on the Father Ray Foundation side of Suk.
P8040002.jpg.3faa47a9cc3dc49d02feb572ca4

More progress to date on the East side of Suk.

P8040005.jpg.038380cb0c6305a45a18f72cb99

• 3 years later...

The idea of continuing the underpass, or overpass, to Thepprasit is alive once again.

Pattaya locals object to planned Sukhumvit-South roads tunnel

Best quote from the article...

"Residents claimed, without evidence, that the underground tunnel would flood. The same fears were raised initially about the Central Road tunnel but it has never flooded."

Unlike the Klang intersection, where the underpass was built on a high point, the Pattaya Tai to Thepprasit north end entrance/exit is at a low point on Sukhumvit. 

They've worked unsuccessfully for years to resolve the flooding at that low point. If they can't fix the flooding problem there, what hope do they have of keeping a tunnel dry.

All the evidence needed is in this photo.

S__214564882-scaled.jpg

Photo Credit: TPN

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suspect a tunnel might alleviate the flooding on the surface......just needs somewhere for the water to go and a tunnel would fit the bill. 

(Someone would be drowned for sure).

So how about a flyover?

Edited by jacko
58 minutes ago, jacko said:

I suspect a tunnel might alleviate the flooding on the surface......just needs somewhere for the water to go and a tunnel would fit the bill. 

(Someone would be drowned for sure).

So how about a flyover?

A flyover makes much more sense. So much so I wonder why a tunnel is even part of the proposal.