Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Three Years of Chaos, (if we are lucky)

Well, heading out of Pattaya is clear sailing now, but coming in you're going to have slow going for the next couple of weeks while they finish digging the trench for the new drain pipe. Glad on I'm two wheels instead of in a cage on four.

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did a photo recon this afternoon of the construction progress. Looks to me like it'll be another month or two until they have this project done. Here's some topside pics. Looking north. Pretty ch

A few topside shots. Looking north Looking south Klang intersection Free car/bike wash today A photo history of the Sukhumvit underpass construction can b

Photo recon of the underpass from this afternoon.   Lights are up that will tell you if the underpass lane is open, or not. Trying to puzzle this one out. The underpass design doesn't allow for rout

Posted Images

Good, I have to go through that way on Sunday!

On Thursday I got in a bit of a mess trying to come into town.....

I normally turn off the Railway Line Bypass just before the motorway flyover but the junction was all blocked up with stationary idiots so I carried on to Soi Siam CC and U-Turned back and got onto the motorway then to Sukhumvit. That junction was all choked up so the lights weren't doing much good.

• 3 weeks later...

Pic update on construction progress

IMG_0001.jpg

Looks like they've started digging.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Crane was working to pull a form out. Didn't succeed while I was there.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

This bit, bit off more than it could chew.

IMG_0012.jpg

Traffic is still being diverted around SCC intersection.

IMG_0015.jpg

I rode past it all yesterday, it was certainly choking traffic on Sukhumvit in both directions.

I was pleased to see though that on a Sunday afternoon they were hard at work on the site.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like a hive of activity when I ride past......

I was wondering if they would let me in through the gate with a camera.

Although the dirt looks mostly like sand I could use some for my garden!

When I come in from the north, I stay on highway 331 and the only time I see highway 3 is when I cross it using Soi Chaiyapruk. Before using this route, the worst part of the entire 650 kilometer trip was driving on highway 3, Sukhumvit in Pattaya. That was before this tunnel construction. I expect it is even worse now.

When I come in from the north, I stay on highway 331 and the only time I see highway 3 is when I cross it using Soi Chaiyapruk. Before using this route, the worst part of the entire 650 kilometer trip was driving on highway 3, Sukhumvit in Pattaya. That was before this tunnel construction. I expect it is even worse now.

Well stay South of it or North of it all and things don't seem to have changed much. Where the construction is it's a pain in the ass and this is low season, also of course where the motorway (Hwy 7), hits Sukhumvit is bad. Obviously getting across Suk around Klang is a pain too and I miss the opportunity to make a U-turn. But overall I am surprised how things seem to have adapted. Believe it or not the damned minibuses still stop to pick up or drop off passengers heading North just after Klang! There is also dozens of coaches making mayhem at 'The World of Rubber Fetish Centre' just South of the Klang junction when heading North.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction update from late afternoon yesterday.

Heavy traffic northbound which isn't unusual for the time of day.

IMG_0000.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Most of work now taking place north of the walkover bridge.

IMG_0002.jpg

Not sure what's going on here. Don't know what the panels are for, or the purpose of the concrete pad. Doesn't seem strong enough to serve as the roof of the tunnel. Plus I would think they would dig out the underpass first, then put the roof in.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Not easy to see in this pic, but the diversion by SCC is gone.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

• Upvote 3

On another forum we've been speculating on the purpose of the concrete pad. Best guess is it's a blinding layer which the roof structure will be made on top of. Once made, the ground beneath will be excavated and the blinding layer broken up and removed leaving a smooth underside to the roof structure.

So with curiosity piqued, dodged the raindrops this morning to get a couple of pics of the progress.

More of the boards have been placed over the concrete pad

IMG_0001.jpg

and tacked into place with nails

IMG_0002.jpg

The boards are easy enough to lift, so I'm guessing some sort of plastic material

IMG_0003.jpg

Can't really tell from the pics, but the boards have a smooth, shinny surface which I suspect makes it easier to release from the concrete to be poured on top.

IMG_0004.jpg

Further down the work site looks like they're busy boring holes.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Construction site looking damp today. No surprise there. Looking forward to getting snaps after they start excavating and a heavy downpour hits.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Water truck brought in to wash out the rebar works.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Most of the crew was occupied with clean up and pumping out water today.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Not much to see on the north side of the construction site.

IMG_0039.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the silver flexible piping is a way of reducing the weight of that roof?

I rode past as usual yesterday, and it was causing quite a bit of delay, I wonder if they will be able to open up more of Sukhumvit before high season.

Perhaps the silver flexible piping is a way of reducing the weight of that roof?

I rode past as usual yesterday, and it was causing quite a bit of delay, I wonder if they will be able to open up more of Sukhumvit before high season.

On another forum a poster explained they're for post tension cables to pass thru. The cables, under tension, support the slab.

On another forum a poster explained they're for post tension cables to pass thru. The cables, under tension, support the slab.

Yes that makes sense, not too knowledgeable wrt tunnel construction.

A useful shortcut for anyone heading to Sukhumvit on Klang. You can bypass the tailback by turning left just before the junction. Follow the Index Living Mall sign and you can drive around the building and exit onto Sukhumvit.

Personally I turn left just after BigC-X and head down soi Yume, then turn right at the wet market (after a new 7-11). You come out on Sukhumvit after the road works but you can get onto the motorway (Hwy 7). I suppose Homepro could be a short-cut too, but rather close to the motorway ramp to get across in the traffic.

Edited by jacko

Construction update from this afternoon.

Looking south at first glance, doesn't appear much is happening.

But zooming in can see digging has commenced.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

And to the north, the rebar work continues.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

And look at the north end of the construction site.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

• Upvote 4