Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

With all the talk of the importance of carrying I.D because of the crack downs, I was wondering if anyone knows if a plastic copy of my passport / visa can be obtained in Nana District as I always tarry there for a few days before hitting Pattaya? Cheers!

FFS, why worry with Nana? I had two copies laminated at home for $3!

So you don't copy your entry stamp!

TL, if they really are checking immigration status, they're going to want to see your admission stamp and departure card, or at least a copy.

With all the talk of the importance of carrying I.D because of the crack downs, //

There are things far more important than Immigration IMHO. Just look at Pattaya news: it's not rare to see an article, about any kind of accident, that mentions that the farang as not any ID document on it. If he his unconscious, that means that the police cannot contact anyone and that the hospital may only do basic vital care/treatment, waiting to know that he will be paid...

About the plastic copy, in Pattaya most Kodak shop (or photos shop) will do them, and I suppose many will do it too Bangkok.

• Upvote 1

I thought I read somewhere recently (Nation ?) that there was not a requirement for tourists to carry passports/ID around with them now, and that they would be allowed to produce them at their hotel etc. if required.

And the chances of getting stopped are increasing. I passed a checkpoint just the other day, the cops had hauled a bunch of Thai guys over, all on scooters, and were rifling through all their bags and pockets. No Fourth Amendment round these parts.

I thought I read somewhere recently (Nation ?) that there was not a requirement for tourists to carry passports/ID around with them now, and that they would be allowed to produce them at their hotel etc. if required.

Okay, full disclosure, I don't routinely carry my passport or a copy. But if you are stopped by the police and your immigration status is an issue, how high a priority do you think it's going to be to take you back to your hotel to get your passport? You pay your money, you take your chances and, no, I'm not talking about tea money.

My walking out the door kit does include my US drivers license, health insurance card and a high limit credit card. Any excursion may end in the emergency room. I've had it happen in Thailand.

Edited by nkped

Tell that to the guy who was carted off to the immigration detention centre in cuffs after a certain gentlemans club was raided recently...

My walking out the door kit does include my US drivers license, health insurance card and a high limit credit card. Any excursion may end in the emergency room. I've had it happen in Thailand.

I add my medication list, phone number list and hotel business card to the above.

• Upvote 1

Tell that to the guy who was carted off to the immigration detention centre in cuffs after a certain gentlemans club was raided recently...

According to my "tame tourist police seargeant": If they were going to pull him in, they would do so anyway whether he had a photocopy ( which is "in thai law" worthless anyway) or not; additionally if he was not given the opportunity to produce his documents from his hotel, the arresting officer would have to answer to disciplinary action ( my interpretation of his confusing explanation). He also reckoned that there must have been "reasonable" grounds to pull him in. My guess would be tip-off or more than likely he was the "farang spy used to set the raid up; see other threads for expansion.

Not that it matters, but I have never, apart from when visiting long ago as a seafarer, carried id, passport or copy on me: The one exception being during the 1973 troubles, which were by far the most troubling of all the uprising/coups that have occurred to date. (Again- whether the said passport would have acted as a "suit of armour" back then is debateable, but I just thought it might help !)

• Upvote 1

I add my medication list, phone number list and hotel business card to the above.

Good advice but you forgot to add your brand of cigarets , and favourite tipple ,

Joe

I think the main requirement is your ID, I doubt any Thai cop know much about immigration, they ought to do what the British cops do, I they are suspicious they call immigration who will give them an immediate answer.

Often this comes about when a driver is pulled over and can only produce a foreign driving licence so the police will call immigration to ask how long they have been in the UK as if they have been in the UK more than a year their foreign licence is not valid.

I've never carried any ID in Thailand, not even a copy of it. I've been pulled over twice in the last two months for not having a motorcycle helmet on and although I was asked both times for ID I didn't experience any extra bother because I didn't have any. Was I just lucky both times?

I've never carried any ID in Thailand, not even a copy of it. I've been pulled over twice in the last two months for not having a motorcycle helmet on and although I was asked both times for ID I didn't experience any extra bother because I didn't have any. Was I just lucky both times?

Did you have a driving licence with you ? If not you where , can be a 600 baht fine ,

Joe

Good advice.

I always carry a photocopy of my passport in my wallet, with my insurance details (including the emergency ‘phone number) on the reverse.

Back at the OP, I always kick off my LoS visits with a couple of days near Nana – BKK Sukhumvit Soi 8. On arrival I ask the hotel receptionist to photocopy my entry stamp and departure card, which I cut down to carry with my passport copy.

In fourteen years of visits I’ve never had to show them, but maybe next time…

Did you have a driving licence with you ? If not you where , can be a 600 baht fine ,

Joe

No, both times I didn't have any ID whatsoever. I got a 500 baht fine in Surin and a 400 baht fine in Pattaya. The police took my keys off me and I had to go to the police station and pay the fine before returning, fortunately the policeman was still there with my keys!