Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I stayed a few days there some years ago, it seemed to have a bit of a backpacker/hippy element to it.

I ended up in a small village a little further North called Pang Mapha, Found a wonderful guest house and stayed in a little house in a tree, over the Lang river valley. I still remember the great coffee in the mornings.

Its a great area to tour. Thanks for the memories.

Maehongson.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice pics. I thought the same thing as Spike...the trees reminded me of New Hampshire for a sec. I was south of Chang Rai and never knew that was there.

Looks like an exciting journey getting there and a picturesque village when you arrive.

Clearly it's on the backpacker trail.

On the Banana Pancake Trail. Everything is gray and smoggy now, I'd like to return in a few months when everything is green. Was inquiring about renting a 650cc in Chiang Mai for 1500/day but they wanted passport. Now that I've seen what the roads look like I would love to go cycling the area. I'm thinking about taking my Honda Phantom up on the train.

Edited by RhinoTusk

Great photos of real Thailand.

I just cancelled a cycling trip in the same area because of the burning in the region, will go later on in the year sometime. Loads of companies doing cycling tours if that is your thing, they take care of everything off the bike you just need to do the cycling.

Thanks again.

Regards

On the Banana Pancake Trail. Everything is gray and smoggy now, I'd like to return in a few months when everything is green. Was inquiring about renting a 650cc in Chiang Mai for 1500/day but they wanted passport. Now that I've seen what the roads look like I would love to go cycling the area. I'm thinking about taking my Honda Phantom up on the train.

Rhino, I hired a m/bike in Chiang Mai in November and they gave me an option of leaving a cash deposit instead of my passport. The roads up into the mountains are good for proper biking. Good wide sweeping bends and the road surface pretty good until you get to the top, but even that isn't too bad.

Their helmets were shit though!!

KM

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Looks like too many farangs to suit me. Beautiful but too touristy.

• Upvote 1

Looks like too many farangs to suit me. Beautiful but too touristy.

Pai is overridden with backpackers, they're just young people enjoying life in a budget. You can get a dorm room with WiFi for 160 baht and rent a bicycle.

DSC_7379.jpg

Watch for my next pictorial trip report: Mae Hong Son

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • Upvote 2

Pai is overridden with backpackers.

Watch for my next pictorial trip report: Mae Hong Son

I hope you stop for a minute at the place I have visited twice...earlier in this thread.

• Upvote 1

I hope you stop for a minute at the place I have visited twice...earlier in this thread.

That's near the Lod Cave, halfway between Pai & Mae Hong Son. I didn't have my own transportation.

I brought home a few bags of these

DSC_9583.jpg

Edited by RhinoTusk
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the report and pics Rhino. The missus has been wanting to go up there for camping. We'll definitely need to fly in as she'll never survive the curves of the road

• 1 year later...