Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Next weekend im back to the UK for a few months and am thinking i might take some cigarettes back with me.However i will only be taking a carry on bag.

Anybody see any problems at Swampy,getting them thro.

depending on the amount I can see some problems in the UK. You are only allowed 200 (+ 1 bottle of spirits).

They dont seem to care too much at Swampy, although you have to show boarding pass but you can always go to a couple of different shops Cigs are still a lot cheaper in Thailand, and I used to buy them and put a few in my main luggage to take back. But.......................its the UK end where you take the chance, I have never been pulled, but its best to be prepared to loose them if caught with over 200 cigs or one box of rolling tobacco. The tobacco at BKK duty free is very tempting at the price, and you can always put one carton in a Duty Free bag, and break the others up for hand luggage.

Disclaimer

It is illegal to bring more than the stated limit of cigarettes and alcohol into the UK. So I would not actively encourage it. The worse that can happen though is that they will take the excess off of you, and tell you that you are a naughty boy. No worth a cavity search for a carton of cigs lol.

I regularly take 600 cigs from bkk duty free. Get stopped about half the time (think I must look guilty of something) and, when they ask I just say I have got a few hundred extra. My experience has been that they don't give a fuck at that sort of number. A couple of times thaey have even said "that's not very much". Then they rummage through the bag and I am on my way with no problem. MY OPINION - don't take the piss by taking a thousand or more through and don't lie if they ask what you have got. Be friendly and don't complainif they stop you just go with the flow. They really want the big time smugglers and the drugs and can't be arsed filling in the paperwork for a couple of extra cartons.

I regularly take 600 cigs from bkk duty free. Get stopped about half the time (think I must look guilty of something) and, when they ask I just say I have got a few hundred extra. My experience has been that they don't give a fuck at that sort of number. A couple of times thaey have even said "that's not very much". Then they rummage through the bag and I am on my way with no problem. MY OPINION - don't take the piss by taking a thousand or more through and don't lie if they ask what you have got. Be friendly and don't complainif they stop you just go with the flow. They really want the big time smugglers and the drugs and can't be arsed filling in the paperwork for a couple of extra cartons.

Yes, that is good advice.

I had the misfortune of passing through swampy on opening day. No baggage belts seemed to be moving, well nothing was working actually. There was also a large armed police or Army presence. On said day I was a little overweight because of all the ciggies I was carrying , 6000+. Had to open bag at check in and there were bensons everywhere all over the floor. Picked them up and no- one cared. I would say no one cares. lol

If you want to take the chance with your home customs go for it. I always do but been caught a few times.

DAZ

Just a comment, it is illegal to take more than the allotted amount and most of the time they just confiscate the extra. But to say that is the worst that CAN happen is wrong. They can detain you, fine you and land your dumb butt in court if not jail. It only takes one guy having a bad day to make an issue. Also most of the time you signed a document declaring what you bring in. If you lied, it is pretty clear you knew you were breaking the law. Again 99.99% of the time no issues but don't over do it or get shitty with them.

That's my experience as well.... if you get pulled as long as you are honest about being over the tend to just give you a little slap on the wrist and let you through with them. I buy on the way out and they get put in the checked-in baggage for the return trip and then buy some extra at Swampy and Dubai.The swampy stuff goes in the hand luggage and Dubai in duty free bags.

Haven't needed to buy any at UK prices for 10 months and I've got enough to last to my next trip! :thumbup

Another thing that helps me is that there is at least 2 of us travelling :whistling:

I brought back three bottles of whiskey. I declared it and paid $12.00 duty on two bottles. I would think the same applies to cigs. I'll check two weeks from now when I return to the US.

I had the misfortune of passing through swampy on opening day. No baggage belts seemed to be moving, well nothing was working actually. There was also a large armed police or Army presence. On said day I was a little overweight because of all the ciggies I was carrying , 6000+. Had to open bag at check in and there were bensons everywhere all over the floor. Picked them up and no- one cared. I would say no one cares. lol

If you want to take the chance with your home customs go for it. I always do but been caught a few times.

DAZ

Thanx Daz,thats the info i was looking for.

Thanx for all your advice guys.

Looks like ill be taking about 4 sleeves,seems to be a small enough amount not to cause too much

hassle should i get pulled in the UK.

Just a comment, it is illegal to take more than the allotted amount and most of the time they just confiscate the extra. But to say that is the worst that CAN happen is wrong. They can detain you, fine you and land your dumb butt in court if not jail. It only takes one guy having a bad day to make an issue. Also most of the time you signed a document declaring what you bring in. If you lied, it is pretty clear you knew you were breaking the law. Again 99.99% of the time no issues but don't over do it or get shitty with them.

In some countries that is true, but rarely the case in UK, for a UK citizen. At worst, if its a few packets, they might put you on a database, in such a case if you were to get caught again, but not usual. I have seen the Customs TV program about Australian airports and they seem a lot more strict in their actions and usually impose fines, especially on certain prohibited food stuffs entering the country. Perhaps that is also the case in the USA

Edited by Gawd Elpus

In some countries that is true, but rarely the case in UK, for a UK citizen. At worst, if its a few packets, they might put you on a database, in such a case if you were to get caught again, but not usual. I have seen the Customs TV program about Australian airports and they seem a lot more strict in their actions and usually impose fines, especially on certain prohibited food stuffs entering the country. Perhaps that is also the case in the USA

Mrs Fiend comes back with loads of Thai foodstuff packed in all our cases,... I wouldn't mind but she can get most of the stuff over here in the UK!!! :banghead

I brought back three bottles of whiskey. I declared it and paid $12.00 duty on two bottles. I would think the same applies to cigs. I'll check two weeks from now when I return to the US.

BigD, what is the procedure for declaring and paying for excess booze coming into the US? What does it cost and what is the limit?

That's my experience as well.... if you get pulled as long as you are honest about being over the tend to just give you a little slap on the wrist and let you through with them. I buy on the way out and they get put in the checked-in baggage for the return trip and then buy some extra at Swampy and Dubai.The swampy stuff goes in the hand luggage and Dubai in duty free bags.

Haven't needed to buy any at UK prices for 10 months and I've got enough to last to my next trip! :thumbup

Another thing that helps me is that there is at least 2 of us travelling :whistling:

I am a little concerned that you buy on the way out, and presumably take them back with you...over the allowance?

Hence you are smuggling twice, unnecessarily in my mind?

(I get the fact you want them into your checked in baggage for the return trip).

Firstly, if they catch you bringing them into Swampy, there they have been known to be unforgiving, and you will be hit with a fine per cigarette over the allowance, which is a hefty fine.(3500 baht/carton officially, but I have heard of many cases where more was 'extorted'.).

If you buy at the UK airport you are wasting money, they are overpriced and much cheaper in Bangkok duty free.

There is a better option!

Edited by jacko

You aren't really allowed duty free cigarettes into Australia,

If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased.

Just a couple of packets... I believe they have rules regarding opened packets too.

You aren't really allowed duty free cigarettes into Australia,

If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased.

Just a couple of packets... I believe they have rules regarding opened packets too.

I suspect so. In UK, if you buy from another EU country, you can bring a lot of cigarettes or tobacco into UK as long as it is a reasonable amount for personal consumption, and not for resale. However, the problem is bringing them in from non-EU countries, like Thailand. Crazy really but that's the case. Many people go to France/Belgium (is the cheapest) and bring back all manner of goods, and they are not actually considered Duty Free, as the tax has been paid in an EU country. I noticed that at Heathrow, DF, there are two tariffs - one for buying cigarettes to take out to a non-EU country and a much cheaper price for EU countries. Mind you its not worth buying anything at HTR as it is not much cheaper than the shops

It brings it home, just how much excise duty there is on Cigarettes, compared to how much they cost to produce. For instance, you can buy a carton of B&H in Dubai, for around £12 or less. That is £1.20 a pkt of 20 cigs. They have imported them, and still making a profit. Yet they are on sale for around £8 a pkt of 20 in UK. It is no wonder that smokers are tempted to bring in as many as possible, The tax is staggering these days. The price of cigarettes only ever goes up each year. As some smokers have gone onto roll ups, so they have increased the price of Rolling tobacco. A 50g pouch is now over £17, where as in BKK Duty free, it works out at about £3 per 50g pouch which comes in boxes of 5.

These days, most tailor made cigarettes contain an ingredient which makes them burn very fast, so if you leave one in an ashtray for 2 minutes while you stick the kettle on, its burnt down by the time you get back. At £8 for 20, that is 40p gone up in smoke and about 35p of that has gone to the Treasury. Now of course, we get little sympathy, from non smokers but that aside, regular smokers who buy Cigarettes in UK, contribute a lot of money to the IR. It's that bad, that many people have taken to Vaping, and soon the UK government will endorse the use of e-cigs and vaporizers. So much so, that many cigarette manufacturers are now considering making and selling e-cigarettes and Vapourisers as well as cigarettes/tobacco. Then, it will not be long before the Government hike up the tax on those too.

I am going to be looking at the price of Vapourisers and Juices, in Thailand next month when I am in Pattaya. At the moment, I think they are exempt from duty, but I could be wrong. I suspect the street vendors will have started to sell them by now, but I doubt the quality would be very good.

Edited by Gawd Elpus

Yes, I used to take tobacco for my brother, two packets of 5x50g pouches and I think each package cost me about £15 in Bangkok.

It solved his money problems for a while.

I am a little concerned that you buy on the way out, and presumably take them back with you...over the allowance?

Hence you are smuggling twice, unnecessarily in my mind?

(I get the fact you want them into your checked in baggage for the return trip).

Firstly, if they catch you bringing them into Swampy, there they have been known to be unforgiving, and you will be hit with a fine per cigarette over the allowance, which is a hefty fine.(3500 baht/carton officially, but I have heard of many cases where more was 'extorted'.).

If you buy at the UK airport you are wasting money, they are overpriced and much cheaper in Bangkok duty free.

There is a better option!

Have been stopped twice at Swampy and both times been let through, once was having just got off the plane and the other was after passing through customs. And both times I was travelling on my own. Haven't been stopped when travelling with Mrs Fiend. And I'm not stupid enough to pay UK Duty free prices.

Have been stopped twice at Swampy and both times been let through, once was having just got off the plane and the other was after passing through customs. And both times I was travelling on my own. Haven't been stopped when travelling with Mrs Fiend. And I'm not stupid enough to pay UK Duty free prices.

There was rumour of wanderers in the baggage reclaim area of Swampy looking out for those with plenty cigarettes and the information was passed on and a bit of a 'sting' set up, apparently just after customs. Glad to hear you have not been had. I pointedly checked out prices at Manchester last trip out.... hard to believe they are tax free. Even perfumes were more.... straight into the lounge now, although the layout is such that you are forced through the shops!

Well, "duty-free" is nor "profit-free", and I'm sure the airport will jack up the shop rents as high as it can.

Equally, I was tasked to bring back a specific perfume for a friend last time. King Power priced it at the same level as in the Pattaya Central Mall. I got it for £15 less in the "exit" shop at Heathrow.

Seems you can't win

BigD, what is the procedure for declaring and paying for excess booze coming into the US? What does it cost and what is the limit?

I told the immigration officer who checks passports, I had three bottles of whiskey with me. He directed me to a conveniently located window where I paid the duty. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of bottles you can bring in. I on a cruise right now and will check when I return to Miami in two weeks. I'll get back to you.

I told the immigration officer who checks passports, I had three bottles of whiskey with me. He directed me to a conveniently located window where I paid the duty. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of bottles you can bring in. I on a cruise right now and will check when I return to Miami in two weeks. I'll get back to you.

Thanks BigD for the information. I look forward to more when you have time.

There was rumour of wanderers in the baggage reclaim area of Swampy looking out for those with plenty cigarettes and the information was passed on and a bit of a 'sting' set up, apparently just after customs. Glad to hear you have not been had. I pointedly checked out prices at Manchester last trip out.... hard to believe they are tax free. Even perfumes were more.... straight into the lounge now, although the layout is such that you are forced through the shops!

Often see them wandering around the arrivals concourse airside looking for targets, they are quite easy to spot in their black jackets.