Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Any referrals of good Pattaya Real estate agents.

Hello all board members, Sam here in Las Vegas. I m planning on moving to Pattaya within the next year or so, so I m just trying to get my "ducks in a row" and start a working relationship with a local RE agent before I arrive. Yes I have been there before, originally 1973 (US airforce), and about 10 years ago (when Pattaya Pete still had FLB. Any referral would be apprrciated. I have researched all the RE agencies in Pattaya via the internet. Now I would just like a little first hand pers. feedback. Thankyou in advance for your time.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Pattaya you need agents you can trust, you need to ask why a person is being recommended,, mates is a poor yardstick...

Speculating on the Thailand real estate market can be a disaster. You are not going to find a cheap condo or condo room and turn it into a monthly income.   Sorry, but there are about 1000 rooms be

Property Select Pattaya - ask for Adam   propertyselectpattaya.com/   Search for the best handpicked property on offer in Pattaya, Naklua and Jomtien. Pool villas, houses, city condos and ... ‎

I am curious how the listing system goes in Thailand. Is there a common system where every agent can access available properties? Or is it just a what do they know is for sale type of arrangement. I saw many good deals on condos in Jomtien and am kicking around the idea of buying.

Property Select Pattaya - ask for Adam

propertyselectpattaya.com/

Search for the best handpicked property on offer in Pattaya, Naklua and Jomtien. Pool villas, houses, city condos and ...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Search for the best handpicked property on offer in Pattaya, Naklua and Jomtien. Pool villas, houses, city condos and ...

Have you ever bought or rented in Pattaya ? Why would you recommend him ?

Edited by Parkwahn

Why does he have the best? Is it contacts, better access to other agents listings, etc.? I owned a real estate investment firm in Las Vegas years ago so am familiar with the terminology. Just trying to get a handle on how to select the best agent.

Why does he have the best? Is it contacts, better access to other agents listings, etc.? I owned a real estate investment firm in Las Vegas years ago so am familiar with the terminology. Just trying to get a handle on how to select the best agent.

In Pattaya you need agents you can trust, you need to ask why a person is being recommended,, mates is a poor yardstick...

• Upvote 4

Yes Mrlasvegas, I had the same questions in my head as u ask but I didn't want to complicate my initial question. I own my house in Las Vegas, and we here in the states have a MLS (multiple listing system), where all of the RE agents have access to all properties 4 sale. I have noticed on some RE websites the same properties are listed at different prices. Perhaps just not a current update by the realtor or some realtors will not take as much commission for selling a property and that is referred in the asking price from that particular agency. ??? I have learned that no foriegner can be a real estate agent in Thailand. Foriegner must be backed up by a Thai citizen, perhaps a wife or what-not. Basically I think for the language aspect, (English, German. etc.).Feel free to chime in and further educate me. Thanks in advance. Sam.

There are plenty of 'foreigners' who are in the Real Estate business in Thailand.

They can set up a company providing they have enough Thai staff.

Anyhow, that really isn't your question. I have one, why do you feel you need a Real estate agent before you come here? Have you already considered whether to buy or rent, condo or house, new or second hand, off plan or completed, location?

Edited by jacko

Yes Mrlasvegas, I had the same questions in my head as u ask but I didn't want to complicate my initial question. I own my house in Las Vegas, and we here in the states have a MLS (multiple listing system), where all of the RE agents have access to all properties 4 sale. I have noticed on some RE websites the same properties are listed at different prices. Perhaps just not a current update by the realtor or some realtors will not take as much commission for selling a property and that is referred in the asking price from that particular agency. ??? I have learned that no foriegner can be a real estate agent in Thailand. Foriegner must be backed up by a Thai citizen, perhaps a wife or what-not. Basically I think for the language aspect, (English, German. etc.).Feel free to chime in and further educate me. Thanks in advance. Sam.

I will say your perception of the real estate business in the US is about 90% correct. Yes, the MLS does give all agents the same access to every property that is placed on the MLS. Provided that all realtors are members of the Association of Realtors, etc. But there is also a system of "pocket listings" among specialized agents. This was the area I often found myself working in on the investment side. Basically sellers agents had a variety of properties that were somewhat unique or the seller was still considering whether to list. Oftentimes I could bring my buyer in and we close the deal without a sign ever being placed in the yard. I am wondering if the system in Thailand is more of a "pocket listing" system or MLS type? It could explain why each real estate website does not have a broad variety of listings.

I will say your perception of the real estate business in the US is about 90% correct. Yes, the MLS does give all agents the same access to every property that is placed on the MLS. Provided that all realtors are members of the Association of Realtors, etc. But there is also a system of "pocket listings" among specialized agents. This was the area I often found myself working in on the investment side. Basically sellers agents had a variety of properties that were somewhat unique or the seller was still considering whether to list. Oftentimes I could bring my buyer in and we close the deal without a sign ever being placed in the yard. I am wondering if the system in Thailand is more of a "pocket listing" system or MLS type? It could explain why each real estate website does not have a broad variety of listings.

There are investors waiting for " distressed " sellers, if you find an agent you trust he can find a property to your spec , even if it means he does not have one on his books he will share the commission with the agent who has the property.

A good agent knows the market and how to ' match ' buyer and seller, I once told an agent what i wanted ,,, he took me to a hole in the ground ,, after he was aware I wanted a built place...

There are so be good agents, but a few clowns

• Upvote 1

There are plenty of 'foreigners' who are in the Real Estate business in Thailand.

They can set up a company providing they have enough Thai staff.

Anyhow, that really isn't your question. I have one, why do you feel you need a Real estate agent before you come here? Have you already considered whether to buy or rent, condo or house, new or second hand, off plan or completed, location?

Yes Jacko to just about all of your questions. I am 99% sure of the area, price range, resale condo, that I am looking for. But of course always something out of the blue can come up. I desire to get as much information as I can before I make any concrete decisions. I know as in life there are many unsavory people and this in compasses the real estate business. I hear and read on-line mostly of many people being swindled mostly on new, one-off condo scams-deals. I don't desire to be one of them. I always wanted a house, but even the tiniest - slightest possibility of the company scam being looked into and overturned by the Thai gov. causes me sleepless discomfort. lol lol lol. The bottom line for my RE agent I seek is they be an "HONORABLE" person. No red marks in there past history, and time is a good baseline to be used. Also, yes as you stated a foriegner can open a RE company, but they themselves can not be a lic. RE agent in Thailand, even though they may be lic. In there home country. Legalities, I know but that brings me to the point that matters the most when one is in a foreign country. By the way my motto when I move to Thailand is I will treat Thailand like I am there guest. I m a guest in the beautiful country of Thailand. It is not perfect as no place is, but very good for me at this time. Thanks again for all the feed back given me.

Well I just felt that when one lives here, your needs can change over a relatively small period of time. Until you actually do so your idea of location and needs are not firmed up. Myself I lived in town for a while in a small place and decided I wanted more room and less hustle and rented a small house slightly out of town, and even then after another year, decided I wanted more space and bought a larger house further out of town.

But I have good friends who are very happy living 2-3 in a little box in the sky, very centrally. I also sometimes wish I was closer to town, but I could not get the space I have there, within my means.

During my limited searches I felt rather negative on the RE people I dealt with, some were clowns, showing me places that did not even come close to my specifications, I always felt they were pushing new places with better commissions for themselves. I believe self-exacerbated, as unlike you, I did not seek out a good agent, coming well recommended. But don't over-plan, quite often in Pattaya, for example, a second-hand condo can be found as simply as reading the post-it notices, near the toilet in the Mall or in the lobby of the building. It is a buyers market at the moment.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2

Thank you Jacko for your time to reply back to me and some of your experiences on your RE purchases. I am very pleased to hear you say currently ir is a "buyers market" in Pattaya. I have thought that myself but good to hear it from someone else who is actually there. I think one of the main reasons that may be is the large exodus of the Russian expats due to the drastic reduction of the ruble. Your opinion Jacko, and anyone else please feel free to chime in, do u think pics will drop a little over the next year? And also your opinion, yes I said opinion about the Thai financial minister devaluing the baht in the next year or so. P.S. Are u going to move again into an even larger house even further out of town...??? lol lol lol. P.S.Also Jacko as u live in a house, due you have any angziaty over the legalities of it?

Well I just felt that when one lives here, your needs can change over a relatively small period of time. Until you actually do so your idea of location and needs are not firmed up. Myself I lived in town for a while in a small place and decided I wanted more room and less hustle and rented a small house slightly out of town, and even then after another year, decided I wanted more space and bought a larger house further out of town.

But I have good friends who are very happy living 2-3 in a little box in the sky, very centrally. I also sometimes wish I was closer to town, but I could not get the space I have there, within my means.

During my limited searches I felt rather negative on the RE people I dealt with, some were clowns, showing me places that did not even come close to my specifications, I always felt they were pushing new places with better commissions for themselves. I believe self-exacerbated, as unlike you, I did not seek out a good agent, coming well recommended. But don't over-plan, quite often in Pattaya, for example, a second-hand condo can be found as simply as reading the post-it notices, near the toilet in the Mall or in the lobby of the building. It is a buyers market at the moment.

Good post

• Upvote 1

I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experience in a recent condo purchase. And also, which realtors have a stellar reputation and which to avoid. It's not hard to find stories on the internet about Thailand real estate scams, so I'm a little bit worried about choosing the right people to deal with.

In a few months or maybe this fall at the latest, I'll be in the market for a condo. However, it seems like there are new condo developments going up all over the Pattaya area. Are they really selling that many condos, or are many units just sitting empty? Some of them look nice enough. Beachfront, unobstructed ocean views, etc. I suppose my upper limit would be six million baht.

?? lol lol lol. P.S.Also Jacko as u live in a house, due you have any angziaty over the legalities of it?

Well I never mentioned under what guise I own it but yes, I do have anxiety over it. But it is a method that has been around for a long time and I have a fall back plan (presuming we get some advance warnings!) The most secure thing of course is a condo which can be in your name. But a condo will not suit everyone, limited space, shared facilities, proximity to neighbours, who may not be agreeable. I even have reservations on the annual service charges levied on condo residents. In a poorly managed building they are often seen as pocket money and you end up living in a poorly maintained place that would be hard to sell. Despite the fact I have bought, I advocate renting first.

It's a long time since you visited. Rent for a year then keep your ear to the ground. There are plenty of sellers who found the Paradise often has a forked tongue and they are desperate for an escape.

• Upvote 1

I'd rent for at least 6 months before even thinking of buying in Pattaya.

It is a buyers market and has been and will be for years to come. Way too many places being built and owning one is fine if you plan an extended stay of 5+ years

But, then imagine yourself in that sell or rent it out mode...?

I see ads everyday on the board where I live and most have been there for at least 1 year. Even with lower prices, things aren't what they use to be

Rent and have a plan "B", so if you need to go back or if you decide PI is better. Pack a suitcase and leave

• Upvote 1

Thanks English in Siam and greg_b for your thoights. My plan if I do not have a place lined up when I make the permanent move is to rent from month to month until I find a place I am "delighted " with. Very few things are perfect, but I believe I can find a property the fits a majority of my desires, (price, location, size, etc.). The reason I started this topic was because I have done a lot of research on the internet, (via RE websites in the Pattaya area as well as reading numerous ex pat forums such as this one and "thai visa", and others). My next step is to actually converse with maybe one-to-one three actual Re agents via the Internet and gather more information. That is my thinking and why I started this topic. I am made to smile, because most of you board members have been on the positive side saying currently there are many places for sale and it is very much a "buyers market". P.S. I am NOT thinking of buying a place in Hua Hin, but I have read on numerous occasions that it is even more over built than the Pattaya area. P.S. II, Does anyone think what happened 5 years ago in the USA in the housing market can occur in Pattaya because of the Russian contingency bugging out in droves in the near future?