Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Any referrals of good Pattaya Real estate agents.

Parkwahn means "Sweetmouth " you idea re rent is as mine is, but if you buy in the right block I am sure you will be fine ... don't listen to doom and gloomers..

Hmm, I say do listen to all sides of the argument.

Sadly hard to filter out those with personal experience from those just joining in.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Pattaya you need agents you can trust, you need to ask why a person is being recommended,, mates is a poor yardstick...

Speculating on the Thailand real estate market can be a disaster. You are not going to find a cheap condo or condo room and turn it into a monthly income.   Sorry, but there are about 1000 rooms be

Property Select Pattaya - ask for Adam   propertyselectpattaya.com/   Search for the best handpicked property on offer in Pattaya, Naklua and Jomtien. Pool villas, houses, city condos and ... ‎

Sadly hard to filter out those with personal experience from those just joining in.

Or those with an agenda.

Or those with an agenda.

Yes, of course.

If you feel good with the current version of "Thai-ocracy" and truly believe that ASEAN is going to revitalize the economic woes of Thailand...Invest and don't look back

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/518291/pattaya-condo-market-braces-for-downturn

But in light of the above concerns, it's hard to believe that the ASEAN will be anything other than an economic blunder that serves as a grave reminder that the international market is an unforgiving landscape

Edited by Greg_B

I know a few who wish they had bought years ago but after paying rent for many many years and rates dropping, plus good located units and well built units are not cheap...

So the whining continues, many have made money from bars and others have been skinned... Markets are Markets are markets

• 3 weeks later...

Greg B, any market is just that, there are winners and losers, on one hand you are saying "you wont get a condo cheap " then in the next breath "he is dropping 25% "

I have bought a place and made a profit on it,,,, I found another a distressed buyer..

I also know a guy who has spent 3 million in rent in 12 years ...

Would you say he made the right decision ??

One size does not fit all, some guys have bought houses for their girls and are happy there, others have bought them and got burnt....

I wager Stickman wishes he bought 12 years ago when he arrived don't you think 30% currency gain and capital appreciation , no rent ouch that hurts :clueless

All the guys who bought in VT6 at 2.5 million at 70 to the pound , they sell for 4.5 million now and rent out easy, sure the wilds of Jomtien is not the same is it .....

I also know barowners who have done great and others who lost money,,, its life its ups and downs....

Saying all property deals in Pattaya are bad is simply daft ....

I know a few lads who buy from distressed sellers,,, and turn a profit .. A person paying retail in an area with no baht bus,, well anyone knows thats daft ...

Its a bit like all Thai girls are bad etc etc...yes many are happy married to Thai girls .. so are these people wrong

As I said there are good an bad deals made very day, for a person planning to spend a lot of time here or live here the right purchase is ok IMHO.. That said there are many many blocks I would not touch with a barge pole,, I wont say which ones as i don't want offend any members who may live there or who bought there.

Some very good points there but location, location, location has always been and will always be the key.

Renting for a decade or more is lunacy unless you just don't care and don't bother with the buy or rent argument.

There won't be any more Bt70 to the £1 in my lifetime. More like Bt40 to £1. There will be a bit of a flip when UK interest rates rise of course but the USD is still the main player in THB FX rates and USD/GBP is only going the way of the USA medium term IMHO.

It was almost better to buy (relative) crap central then pure luxury in the burbs but not with the tiny sizes in some new builds. Anything in the 24/28 sqm range is down there with "Stalag" Nirun Condo and has limited resale value and is too small for anything but the shortest stay. That said, put 6 of them in a business plan and you have a mini short term rental business.

Owning houses is a legalistic issue for many with the non Thai problems of corporate ownership but I'm lucky in that regard as I don't need dodgy nominee directors. However, as Jacko has said, this system has been in place for so long and has so many properties in motion that it is somewhat inconceivable that it should be turned on its head any time soon. Plus, the space in a house is just ideal.

Buyer of last resort I am also when motivated. Cash anywhere in the world on completion but too many saps who bought in at high prices holding out for unrealistic returns makes sales slow. Still, I'm in for the long game. Any Greek owners wanting drachmas ?

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

A bit off the my main posting about real estate agents or properties but it factors in a great deal, is the baht conv. rate. Today, on the CE site "Gary", gave the baht dollar rate was over 34 baht, (34.16), and the pound was 53.24. Very nice for us with dollars and pounds. I just hope it holds out or keeps climbing for my move within the next year or so.

Thanks KM.

Sam, when you click on the 'quote' button, the text from the quoted post will appear in a box. Your cursor will be flashing just beneath it on the left. At that point you can just start typing your reply. Once you've finished your response, just click 'post' and both the quoted post in the box and your own text will appear in your new post.

Hope that helps.

KM

Thanks KM.

Sam, when you click on the 'quote' button, the text from the quoted post will appear in a box. Your cursor will be flashing just beneath it on the left. At that point you can just start typing your reply. Once you've finished your response, just click 'post' and both the quoted post in the box and your own text will appear in your new post.

Hope that helps.

KM

Against the advice of my expat friends, I bought a condo in Jomtien about ten years ago. They told me that I was paying too much and that I would never get my money back. I bought that particular unit because I liked it and wanted to live there. The exchange rate then was about 40 baht to a dollar. I enjoyed living there until I moved upcountry with my Thai wife. I rented it out for more than five years. After my renter moved out, I got it put back in good condition. I enjoy going down there whenever I get the urge and decided NOT rent it out again. It cost me 600 baht per month for maintenance. That condo is in my name and it is like a security blanket for me. It is a place to go if my wife should ever throw me out, one never knows. I certainly have no regrets about buying it. I had always hated renting and considered paying rent a major waste of money. Different strokes for different folks. I like having a home away from home. I can make the trip down there with some clothes in a back pack. It is totally and completely furnished including a washing machine and a computer,

• Upvote 1

Against the advice of my expat friends, I bought a condo in Jomtien about ten years ago. They told me that I was paying too much and that I would never get my money back. I bought that particular unit because I liked it and wanted to live there. The exchange rate then was about 40 baht to a dollar. I enjoyed living there until I moved upcountry with my Thai wife. I rented it out for more than five years. After my renter moved out, I got it put back in good condition. I enjoy going down there whenever I get the urge and decided NOT rent it out again. It cost me 600 baht per month for maintenance. That condo is in my name and it is like a security blanket for me. It is a place to go if my wife should ever throw me out, one never knows. I certainly have no regrets about buying it. I had always hated renting and considered paying rent a major waste of money. Different strokes for different folks. I like having a home away from home. I can make the trip down there with some clothes in a back pack. It is totally and completely furnished including a washing machine and a computer,

Makes sense mate, many who say don't buy don't have the option....

Yes Gary, I know your condo complex, (Baan sun lalana) I believe...? It is on my list but we'll down it. It is a very good value for money with many things in its favor. My first choice is a condo in the Pratamnak area, (I know it's a lot more expensive) but that's what I will shoot for first, but I don't think me or anyone can be hurt financially with a buy of a Baan sun Kalama condo. I would buy one there rather than rent if I had to wait for something I like in Pratamnak. You did very good 10 years ago.

I rent a 30 square metre hotel room bang in the centre of town near Hellfire Crossing. It has wifi, TV, a fair sized fridge, a swimming pool and a jacuzzi, the room is cleaned and the linen changed every other day, very effective air con and naturally the electricity and water is included in the rent. I stay for three months at a time and keep the room on permanently and usually visit three times a year so I spend most of my life in Pattaya.

The staff are helpful, friendly and see to any problems quite promptly. I tip the cleaners from 60 baht - 100 baht each time they clean although mostly I just tell 'em to change the towels as I tidy up myself and when I go back to the UK after each three month stint I leave a 1000 baht tip for all the staff so I am always treated well.

Although the area is buzzing with night life my room is off the main road and it is very quiet at night apart from the occasional drunken guest being a bit noisy sometimes but that happens all over Pattaya. I've bought cooking equipment over the years and there are plenty of cafes nearby.

I've had the room for about 11 years and have paid a little over a million baht in rent since I moved in but have a carefree existence and that's the way I like it. We don't know what's round the corner and buying a place thousands of miles away does not appeal to me at all. I've had a few chums die out in the LOS, a few have to leave for health reasons and one or two have got fed up with place and moved back home or somewhere else. I can't see Pattaya being such an attractive place to live in 10 years time if the worsening attitude of some Thai girls spreads and prices keep rising like they have over the last ten years.

You can't take your home with you and if you're a single fellow will your relatives and family ever bother about claiming ownership of it should you expire? All well and good if you have a Thai wife or girlfriend but should you choose to be a bachelor what will become of your 'investment' then? .

Should I wish to I can pack up and leave Pattaya today and give any belongings I can't get in my suitcase to the staff or pals or just leave it. The value of what I've accumulated over the years would be unlikely to exceed 20,000 baht (400 quid).

When I first started spending a lot of time in Pattaya I looked into ownership but back then the agents kept insisting on steering you in the direction of Jomtien, I suppose they still do but as a single man I wanted to be in Pattaya and moved into the hotel room I still occupy and I've never regretted it. I doubt that would be the case had I bought a house out in the boondocks on the Darkside or some condo in a tower block.

Edited by yogi100
  • Upvote 1

Thanks KM.

Duh....... :D

Back to the original question.

Someone suggested Howard Miller at the Expats Club, and I believe the old Pattaya mail TV commentator Paul Stratham ?? also is in the property business.

Edited by jacko

Thanks Yogi. I love your honesty and openness. I am a tiny bit more possessive than yourself and desire a bit more luxury than yourself, but you made some very fine points some of which I have thought about in my planning. I m a single man, never married, no children so like yourself I can move about freely. Would like to meet with you when I make the final move. Once again very nice post.

I rent a 30 square metre hotel room bang in the centre of town near Hellfire Crossing. It has wifi, TV, a fair sized fridge, a swimming pool and a jacuzzi, the room is cleaned and the linen changed every other day, very effective air con and naturally the electricity and water is included in the rent. I stay for three months at a time and keep the room on permanently and usually visit three times a year so I spend most of my life in Pattaya.

The staff are helpful, friendly and see to any problems quite promptly. I tip the cleaners from 60 baht - 100 baht each time they clean although mostly I just tell 'em to change the towels as I tidy up myself and when I go back to the UK after each three month stint I leave a 1000 baht tip for all the staff so I am always treated well.

Although the area is buzzing with night life my room is off the main road and it is very quiet at night apart from the occasional drunken guest being a bit noisy sometimes but that happens all over Pattaya. I've bought cooking equipment over the years and there are plenty of cafes nearby.

I've had the room for about 11 years and have paid a little over a million baht in rent since I moved in but have a carefree existence and that's the way I like it. We don't know what's round the corner and buying a place thousands of miles away does not appeal to me at all. I've had a few chums die out in the LOS, a few have to leave for health reasons and one or two have got fed up with place and moved back home or somewhere else. I can't see Pattaya being such an attractive place to live in 10 years time if the worsening attitude of some Thai girls spreads and prices keep rising like they have over the last ten years.

You can't take your home with you and if you're a single fellow will your relatives and family ever bother about claiming ownership of it should you expire? All well and good if you have a Thai wife or girlfriend but should you choose to be a bachelor what will become of your 'investment' then? .

Should I wish to I can pack up and leave Pattaya today and give any belongings I can't get in my suitcase to the staff or pals or just leave it. The value of what I've accumulated over the years would be unlikely to exceed 20,000 baht (400 quid).

When I first started spending a lot of time in Pattaya I looked into ownership but back then the agents kept insisting on steering you in the direction of Jomtien, I suppose they still do but as a single man I wanted to be in Pattaya and moved into the hotel room I still occupy and I've never regretted it. I doubt that would be the case had I bought a house out in the boondocks on the Darkside or some condo in a tower block.

Fair enough, I could not live in a 30 metre room I k ow many who are very happy with that though, any investment I have made here is only small as to when I expire well I have made a will the odds and ends here won't make any difference.

That's the great thing about Pattaya is a guy can set his life out anyway he wants...

Always enjoy your honest posts Yogi and good luck.

I have an aversion to high rise condos. Elevator problems, worry about fires and long dark narrow hallways. My condo is in a five story building that has an open area in the center. The building is a rectangle shape with the condo units around the open center.

I don't think I could live in a shoe box especially if I had a wife or live in girlfriend. Mine is 60 square meters. I have a separate bedroom with a big TV and a computer. The living room also has a big TV for the lady and her Thai shows. There are separate air conditioners and I very seldom use the one in the living room areas. I'm also within walking distance of nearly anything I want. Choose your unit and location carefully because you may have the condo for a long time. The fast growth of Pattaya and Jomtien may not go on forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard there are quite a few Russian Developers in Pattaya and I can't stop thinking Mafia. Are there a large number of Russians in the real estate business in Pattaya and have buyers been duped out of their money? Has there been real estate fraud in Pattaya of any kind?

I've heard there are quite a few Russian Developers in Pattaya and I can't stop thinking Mafia. Are there a large number of Russians in the real estate business in Pattaya and have buyers been duped out of their money? Has there been real estate fraud in Pattaya of any kind?

Other than Off-plan developments not being completed you mean?

There have always been charlatans in Pattaya. The Germans (or 1 in particular) probably started it all off from a foreigner point of view. There are now rip-off and conmen of all nationalities active in the market, especially since about 2000, when that particular German lost his "control". Never, ever buy off-plan would be a good mantra.

• Upvote 1