Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Not smart with Smartphones!

I have had the same number in Thailand for some while now but I only use the phone for calls and SMS. I recall maybe a couple of years ago having one of those cheap data plans and within an hour or two all my credit had been sucked out of my phone on a trip into Walking Street! At home I simply buy a monthly 'combo' that gives me minutes, SMS and data. Easy stuff.

In Thailand I have an AIS, 1-2 Call number. What I would like is some data while I am in the country. I have never bothered in the past but would like to do more travelling around the place and I believe using Google Maps or something like it would be a great help to finding places and my way around.

Can anyone please explain how I add data to my prepaid AIS account so that I am only buying what I need for a holiday? I also guess that I need to constantly switch off my mobile data while I am on the move to stop it logging into every free site that I pass.

Can you please un-confuse me on this issue.

You may have it already. I did when I got my current AIS 1-2 GO SIM. Even with my old, cheap Nokia, I could check my two email accounts (actually easier than I can now with a smart phone). If, by chance, you don't, I'm sure the good folks at the AIS shop in Central Festival could set you up.

You have the idea. Unless you know you want to access the Internet someplace where you don't have wifi, leave the mobile data off.

Edited by nkped

I used AIS for about ten years. I had some problems with their Internet package. Every month they would renew my package. I purposely kept my balance low so they could not do that. They kept sending me SMS messages about my balance. If I topped it up, they immediately renewed that package that I didn't want. I called them again to complain and asked them to cancel the monthly deal. They charged me 20 baht for the cancellation and guess what happened? YES, they renewed it again. That SIM card went in the trash. I now use Truemove H. It too has quirks but at least they don't outright cheat me.

For a smart phone with no data package, you should turn the data on only when you need it. If you forget to turn it off, it will eat your balance.True had a promotion that gave you 7 days unlimited Internet for 59 baht. The promotion ran out but it is still working for me. The speed is higher than regular Internet, but certainly NOT 3G. It is 512 KBPS rather than 384 KBPS. Not very fast but good enough for email and forums.

You can add 3G/GPRS internet for 30 days to your phone so you can leave mobile data on all the time if you want. I'm a pretty heavy 3G user, and never go above 2G when I am away from WIFI...of course, I don't do torrent downloads and such.

If you exceed your limit of 1GB or 2GB with the highlighted packages, you get 384kb GPRS for the remainder of the month anyway.

Enabling the package you choose is as simple as entering the code on the right of the line and hitting SEND.

Be sure to have enough baht (plus 7% VAT) on your phone when you do that.

Yes, it autorenews, but you can cancel it...somehow. You'd certainly want to do that when you go home.

Smaller time increments are available on this page http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

One-2-Call   Prepaid Mobile Phone Operator ผู้ให้บริการโทรศัพท์เคลื่อนที่ระบบเติมเงิน.png

• 2 weeks later...

We just had the 799 package ran out and now as we leave in 4 days we took the 79baht weekly. And my god has it slowed since. Almost can't wait to get back to England now.

You can add 3G/GPRS internet for 30 days to your phone so you can leave mobile data on all the time if you want. I'm a pretty heavy 3G user, and never go above 2G when I am away from WIFI...of course, I don't do torrent downloads and such.

If you exceed your limit of 1GB or 2GB with the highlighted packages, you get 384kb GPRS for the remainder of the month anyway.

Enabling the package you choose is as simple as entering the code on the right of the line and hitting SEND.

Be sure to have enough baht (plus 7% VAT) on your phone when you do that.

Yes, it autorenews, but you can cancel it...somehow. You'd certainly want to do that when you go home.

Smaller time increments are available on this page http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

Does anybody know how you check your remaining allowance status in the above plans ?

By our can get an app in the App Store which will automatically tell you your balance and what packages you have

Does anybody know how you check your remaining allowance status in the above plans ?

Take your pick from here......