Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Although my flight was booked with ANA (All Nippon Airways) came back from the USA on the United Airlines flight from Chicago to Narita (Japan)

The 747-400 should have been consigned to the scrap yard or sent for a retro-fit as the moment I sat down in my economy seat I knew it was going to be a very long flight.

With no screens in the head rests, the in-flight entertainment system was the old type with monitors fitted into the roof of the cabin.

After 3- hours cranking my neck looking up at the monitor realised there was still another 10-hours left on the flight.

Having just finished my last book an hour before takeoff I was well and truly doomed to have what seemed like the longest flight of my life.

What with the age of the plane, the UA cabin crew must have been the oldest team on UA's books. I swear the overweight grandmothers must have all been approaching 60-years old and they all gave that grimace look on their faces .....come the end of the shift at least two of them were a little weary and struggling to walk.

I do not know what the retirement age is but these old gals should have been pensioned off and put out to grass. And when I thought a Gin & Tonic and a bottle of wine would ease me into a comatose sleep found to my dismay that alcohol was not free. Two bottles of wine came to $16.

When I did change to an ANA aircraft at Narita what a pleasant change to see the smiling faces of the Japanese girls who were all in their early twenties. Still only another 6 hours 40 minutes to Bangkok......

I used to fly a lot to and from the USA.

To be honest I avoided the USA carriers because I found the cabin service poor and didn't like paying for a beer.

I also did a lot of trips between USA and China and went with a group of USA guys, no way were they not going to use a USA carrier as they all were neurotic about getting their air-miles in. Fortunately it was Biz Class, but I still resented the crappy service by the old-ladies of United, when I could have been on Cathay or JAL!

• Upvote 1

Try 'Excaliber AiR' from the Alps

Only one aircraft in their fleet……an antiquated BAC 111…..(Good in their day but noisy)……This one looked like it had been a prototype.

Delayed because they couldn't get a door shut…….I considered the ramifications!…...

I had Margaret Rutherford's granny next-door dropping food on her bosom when she wasn't talking and spitting it at me.

The smell of fuel pervaded the cabin apart from the reek competing in the area next to a toilet…..where I was lucky enough to be seated.

There was some problem stopping us from reaching a decent cruising height…..(might have been the doors) which meant we were buffeted by turbulence………Then the Captain announced he was making a descent to land at a small, (unknown to me) airfield near the French coast to take on more fuel…(That would be coal I thought to myself). He explained that it was very hot today and were were using more fuel than anticipated.

Granny was still stuffing herself………And telling me about the good old days as a suffragette and how she missed being chained to the railings. And 'Wasn't it a shame about the Titanic?'

Well with this cheery subject started there was no stopping her…….'Great disasters causing massive loss of life' was her theme and she knew 'em all.

Actually she was a very entertaining woman and give her her due had some gumption to travel alone at an age most 'gals' would be in a day chair at a 'Home for the Bemused'

Of course, once back in England we were greeted by lightening…But like Margaret next to me, the 111 was a plucky old lady made of the right stuff and we bounced onto the tarmac at Luton without major mishap.

Once the door had been crowbarred open I helped Granny disembark……. She said this line, which may have been from a film, but I swear I heard it for the first time that day. As the steward said, 'Goodbye and thank you for flying Excaliber Air'... most were avoiding eye-contact but dear old Granny locked eyes and said, "Thank you young man, but did we land or were we shot-down?"

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 2

I have a lot of United FF miles, but won't use them on one their planes unless maybe doing a 4-5 hour hop to South America.

The difference between Asian carriers and US carriers is shocking. I have seen some surreal stuff on US planes going trans-pacific - the reason it is the old bag stewardesses with cankles is that its all down to seniority and those flights are the most desirable due to the mandatory time off after long flights, even though most of the time they huddle on milk crates in the galley instead of walking around and offering the passengers anything remotely related to courtesy. I was reprimanded once by hitting the call button by accident when seating on a Northworst flight and could have broke the c%nts jaw. I've seen much, much worse.

The exact opposite on Asian carriers. I could cite numerous examples, including upgrading a friend hit by glass during 9/11 just by me mentioning he had back problems after several surgeries. I'm lucky enough that I will be flying first or business likely for the next five years. Retirement may see me back in economy, which is fine, but I will definitely avoid our US carriers if possible.

Once on a United flight out of Narita to San Francisco, where I was travelling economy class, the meal service was described as "chicken or beef?". That was the extent of the question the old bag asked to get our meal choice.

I ordered the "beef", and while eating the sweet corn, I bit down on a bit, and I heard/felt a loud crunch at my back tooth. I retrieved the offending crunchy bit and it was a piece of broken glass. I pressed the call button and the biddy came back looking at me as if I'd caused her a great deal of trouble getting her off her ass somewhere. I showed her the glass, and said "This was in my corn, and I think I might have broken a tooth on it." (which it turns out, I did). Without missing a beat, she looked at my meal and said "Would you like the chicken instead?"

• Upvote 2

Anyone who has flown with United or any other US airline overseas, are in for a real surprise when they board almost any other foreign airline for a long haul flight overseas.

I will not spend my money flying any US airline when traveling overseas because there are thankfully better foreign airlines. United and the other US airlines are for the most part, worthless, and really have no idea what a decent product is supposed to be.

The US airlines have been left in the dust and are clueless about customer service :lol: but unfortunately are still making money.

all above is correct. but least we forget it is usa money number one.

also with all of the airline mergers they do not have to be nice.

the 4 big airlines (ual,delta,american,southwest) control 73% of all flights

in the usa. for those at major air hubs your lucky you have a choice.

the rest are froced to walk or fly to one. :angry2

as far as us carriers outbound they can :a2m

Back in the day when I was traveling to Thailand three to five times a year. I used UA almost exclusively. Convenient schedule from Philly. Good price, decent equipment and reasonable service back in the cheap seats. Add in a good frequent flyer program and I was a satisfied customer. Over the years, I noticed a steady decline in on board service. UA also improved their frequent flyer program by taking away benefits. I don't care what the F/A look like. What I am interested in is the number of times they come around with drinks and food.

Back in the day when I was traveling to Thailand three to five times a year. I used UA almost exclusively. Convenient schedule from Philly. Good price, decent equipment and reasonable service back in the cheap seats. Add in a good frequent flyer program and I was a satisfied customer. Over the years, I noticed a steady decline in on board service. UA also improved their frequent flyer program by taking away benefits. I don't care what the F/A look like. What I am interested in is the number of times they come around with drinks and food.

In economy, I prefer the aisle seat, and those fat bottomed wenches are always overhanging my armrest as they come by, so, yes, I do care that the FAs are not bottom heavy.

They swish and bang both sides of the aisle as they move through the plane, and they're not that eager to even get up and serve drinks, much less answer a call button.

• Upvote 1

In economy, I prefer the aisle seat, and those fat bottomed wenches are always overhanging my armrest as they come by, so, yes, I do care that the FAs are not bottom heavy.

They swish and bang both sides of the aisle as they move through the plane, and they're not that eager to even get up and serve drinks, much less answer a call button.

LOL. I can just imagine what the F/A think about me. Balding, fat old geezer.

Oh sweet baby geezus, I'm flying United from Newark to Manchester in a couple of days. Pitty me.

I got an upgrade to premium economy, then read the reviews that it's actually worse than economy...

LOL. I can just imagine what the F/A think about me. Balding, fat old geezer.

Yes, but isn't she being paid not to be discerning and simply serve.

As said, I got an impression the stewardesses resented being disturbed to bring you a drink on the long hauls.

Quite the opposite on say a Cathay flight, they couldn't do enough for you.

Yes, but isn't she being paid not to be discerning and simply serve.

But she has eyes. Just think what it must be like for her. Looking out at a cabin full of old age guys who look like death warmed over.

My first trip to Pattaya was on United, never again. Have been Platnium ANA for past 5 years so enjoy the use of the Lounge, showers and priority boarding even in Y. Overall excellent service. I knew i was becoming a grumpy old man when i stopped staying at the Narita Hilton solely to avoid United CC in bar bitching about their Flight crews, Passengers and lives.

Oh sweet baby geezus, I'm flying United from Newark to Manchester in a couple of days. Pitty me.

I got an upgrade to premium economy, then read the reviews that it's actually worse than economy...

How is that even possible?

On my trip to LOS back in mid February, I flew Delta and used the last of my FF miles, consequently I'll be looking for one of the better non USA carriers when I return to retire there this fall. In all actuality Delta was quite good in taking care in the food and drink regimen during all the legs of my flight. However, I always sit in an aisle seat and am always getting my arm/elbow bumped when the stewies go up and down the aisles. Makes it hard to sleep, watch a movie or read. Most of them are old(er) and they can be quite grumpy especially on the last leg to BKK or on the return trip to the west coast USA. I'll really do some extensive searches before I make my next flight to LOS.

CB

On my trip to LOS back in mid February, I flew Delta and used the last of my FF miles, consequently I'll be looking for one of the better non USA carriers when I return to retire there this fall. In all actuality Delta was quite good in taking care in the food and drink regimen during all the legs of my flight. However, I always sit in an aisle seat and am always getting my arm/elbow bumped when the stewies go up and down the aisles. Makes it hard to sleep, watch a movie or read. Most of them are old(er) and they can be quite grumpy especially on the last leg to BKK or on the return trip to the west coast USA. I'll really do some extensive searches before I make my next flight to LOS.

CB

I think you will find that any major Asian carrier is a breath of fresh air compared to Delta, United, etc. Try booking with United, if it's cheaper, but look for flights operated by another airline. This will allow you to build Star Alliance miles but maybe fly ANA, Thai, etc. Although sometimes ANA has good prices when you book direct with them. I just don't know how that would work from your home airport.

My last Star Alliance flight was in a first class suite for about 130K miles with Asiana... absolute heaven. I could have just gotten back on that flight and done it all over again, it was that good, really.

Going back to the good old days, Thai Air from JFK was my favorite. 17 hours direct was a bit of hell, but he service was good and once you landed, it was over. They used to have a steward walk around with a bottle of congac on a tray, he would just keep refilling your glass. I loved that man.

Edited by Sailfast
  • Upvote 2

US airlines epitomise companies that start off as world leaders and seem to think that that historical groundbreaking concept, and patriotism, is enough to keep them going. US airports in general, including immigration and customs, are relatively awful as well. I personally hate BA ( for very personal reasons I avoid them if at all possible) but at least they now try to compete and exceed, rather than rest on past laurels.

US airlines epitomise companies that start off as world leaders and seem to think that that historical groundbreaking concept, and patriotism, is enough to keep them going. US airports in general, including immigration and customs, are relatively awful as well. I personally hate BA ( for very personal reasons I avoid them if at all possible) but at least they now try to compete and exceed, rather than rest on past laurels.

I wonder if they can get away with it purely due to the loyalty of their customers, the Americans themselves.

Certainly they have a big-time captive domestic market.

But so many are entrenched in their loyalty schemes .....(sorry I watched 'Up in the Air' very recently)......

Like you I avoid BA, a couple of incidents where they screwed/ annoyed me royally in the past, along with misery transiting through LHR ...when I landed in T4 and had to get to T1! I was captive to them too in my working days, wanting to change in UK en-route to/from the USA for work.

Thankfully, we now have great choice...sadly mostly via the Middle East!

Edited by jacko

My jet lag used to be horrible, three days to recover here in Thailand. I finally mentioned it to my doctor. I was doing exactly the wrong thing by having a few strong drinks. It appears that my problem was dehydration. I was advised to forget the alcohol and drink a lot of water. That brings me to my United Airlines story. I bought a bottle of super expensive airport water. It was confiscated by security. I get to my seat and asked the old cow flight attendant for water. She brought me a tiny cup that contained a couple of swallows. After we were in the air, I asked her for a bottle of water. She told me that if I wanted a bottle, I should have bought one before boarding. That really pissed me off because that's what I had done. I told her so. She brought me another tiny cup. I finally told her to get used to the buzzer because I would be pressing the button often. She did finally bring me a small bottle rather than a liter bottle. That was my last United flight. That old cow should have been retired years ago.

I bring a empty water container then after security checkpoint i fill it up no less than 1000 milliliters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Pretty standard to give all the passengers a bottle of water as a 'go to sleep and bother us no more' message on the overnight long-hauls I have been on lately.