Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The way i remember when the place first opened. There was only one other customer in there. And the damned waitress didn't utter a word until i called her on it and asked her if her throat hurts when she speaks. When your paying a ridiculous 40 baht for a meal, sure, you live with it or maybe even expect but that's not the case here.

i would appreciate any shared thoughts on what your guys think of such service when it happens. Do you ignore it or does it annoy you? Thanks

If this a general query about people's response to poor service I think it's unfair to name Jolly Friar because of an incident that happened several years ago. The waitress is unlikely to still be there.

If your complaint is about Jolly Friar it's a bit late to complain after all this time.

In response to your query I tend to brush off individual incidents of poor service but take my business elsewhere if there is a repeat.

I feel that one of the features of the places I go to regularly is that I get good service.

I went into a couple of restaurants where I was the only customer and the service was poor, on my last trip. Not the JF I might add.

The food was nothing to write home about so I did not return to either of them. What does piss me off, is when I have no longer sat down n a restaurant and the waitress is on me straight away before I have even looked at the menu to decide what I want to order. But I suppose it is better than to be ignored, or made to feel that I am an imposition on their time.

I ended up eating at Nicky's most days, as the food and service were very good on every visit and a big menu to choose from.

Edited by Gawd Elpus

The JF was one of the restaurants in the little group associated with Russel Whitmore,the father of the guy doing the 50 year stretch for drug dealing. I think Lance himself (the convicted dealer) had it on his CV as being one of the places he helped manage.But that could have been hogwash,the stuff you put on a resume to big yourself up. Whether the old man is still involved,I don't know.

With all the turbulence in that family its probably no surprise the restaurant has gone down the gurgler if Mr W is or was still involved.

The OP makes reference to when the restaurant first opened he is not referring to a recent incident. In any case I think the restaurant changed hands about a year ago. I don't know who the current manager is but would've expected that to change as well.

Edited by tallguy

If I want a "cheap and cheerful " meal then this place suits me. I never (if it can be avoided) eat indoors in Thailand and the general quality, price and seating make this an OK place for a meal that will sop up the serious drinking that will follow.

Service generally world wide has gone to hell due to the girls wanting to be on their phones all the time and there are few places better or worse that others at the lower end of the scale. The Hilton may be different but...

Please let me share some light on the waitress being on you. I had to go thru that cultural learning curve too. They are waiting not to rush you but to be there when your ready to order so you won't have to wait or track them down. Once I learned that I felt much less pressure and learned to take my time. of course if I am being rush Ill ask what the hurry is, or simply get up and leave.

As far as service is concerned, I expect only that they take my order and get me my food in a timely manner.

I won't eat somewhere a second time if the food is not good but I can handle any service short of being ignored or being angry at me for simply wanting to eat there.

I certainly don't expect western service in a third world country unless it is an upscale place.

Ate there a good few times on my last trip, and looking forward to eating there again in a week or so.

Thought the food was good, the prices fair and was not disappointed with the service.

A good family restaurant will first ask you what you would like to drink then ask you if you know what you want. If you answer no, they go get your drink. Good restaurants have their entire routine scripted. Probably the best example of that is a restaurant chain in the US that everyone stops to have breakfast at 3 am after a night of drinking. Free drink to first to name the chain. None Americans get two drinks.

A good family restaurant will first ask you what you would like to drink then ask you if you know what you want. If you answer no, they go get your drink. Good restaurants have their entire routine scripted. Probably the best example of that is a restaurant chain in the US that everyone stops to have breakfast at 3 am after a night of drinking. Free drink to first to name the chain. None Americans get two drinks.

I ended up in Dennys a few times having 'breakfast'.

It seems I didn't make my self clear. What I meant to say is the place is still the same now as when it first opened. It hasn't changed. This is based on a recent visit.

In that case, if it's a problem, move on. It's not as though it's the only place in the area that sells fish and chips.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Jolly Friar is the place a friend raved about. He said the fish and chips is as good as he ever had. He said the fish is actually cod and that an Englishman can easily tell the difference in fish.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Jolly Friar is the place a friend raved about. He said the fish and chips is as good as he ever had. He said the fish is actually cod and that an Englishman can easily tell the difference in fish.

They sell cod but it is more expensive. If you order the standard fish and chips you will get the local Dory. All the good reports I have seen on the Jolly Friar have been about the special which is the Dory. I know a few expats who have stopped going there after being very disappointed with the cod.

For a few hundred baht try the place if there is no others you'd like to experience. I did; niether I nor the GF thought it was very good and that it was expensive for the two thai dishes that we had. I won't be back but encourage others to give it a try if they have the time and money.

I ended up in Dennys a few times having 'breakfast'.

Jacko, your answer is so close that if no one gets the correct one I was looking for, I will give it to you

Jacko, your answer is so close that if no one gets the correct one I was looking for, I will give it to you

IHOP?

IHOP?

LOL, MM, I was about to send you a message that you were disqualified due to inside information, but you got it wrong.

Waffle House in the South

They sell cod but it is more expensive. If you order the standard fish and chips you will get the local Dory. All the good reports I have seen on the Jolly Friar have been about the special which is the Dory. I know a few expats who have stopped going there after being very disappointed with the cod.

I ate the cod on that place on new plaza, Cod chips , mushy peas bred and butter about 240 I seem to recall ... was pretty good.

Ran by an irish lad , worth a go for fish and chip lads..

Not been to Jolly Friar for a few years ,,

I ate the cod on that place on new plaza, Cod chips , mushy peas bred and butter about 240 I seem to recall ... was pretty good.

Ran by an irish lad , worth a go for fish and chip lads..

Not been to Jolly Friar for a few years ,,

I agree Parky, the fish and chips at 'Every Day is Frydays's' is much better than the Jolly Friar.

The Jolly Friar is quiet a way down the list of places I would consider if I fancied fish and chips.

I agree Parky, the fish and chips at 'Every Day is Frydays's' is much better than the Jolly Friar.

The Jolly Friar is quiet a way down the list of places I would consider if I fancied fish and chips.

Second road across from Soi 8?

Yes, midlife, near the second road entrance to New Plaza,on the left hand side next to the Golden Ferret, which is also worth considering for the fish and chip special on Fridays.