Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Books -- what are we reading lately?

Not sure what's the most amazing........?

........Either that 'Brad Thor' is not a 'nom de plume'......... or that his parents were so lacking in imagination they couldn't be arsed to come up with anything and merely added 'jr' to his dad's name.......No doubt taking inspiration from the parents of Efram Zimbalist Jr.

'Job done darling'

'You're so clever Papa'

I think you'll agree that calling myself atlas2 I know what I'm talking about..

I sore Thor interviewed on TV once and I thought the book he was touting sounded great....

....I like 'Leather'.....apart from his first I've never really tried McNab........I'll give Bradley George Thor Jr's 'Last Patriot' a go..... sounds up my street.

It's quite old now but 'Terence Strong's'.....(That MUST be a sobriquet) 'Whisper Who Dares' and the SAS books that followed I found to be very enjoyable.

I'd recommend starting Thor at book one, Lions of Lucerne.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have recently been switching back and forth between Clive Cussler and Stuart Woods. Both have good books and some not as good. Kind of like Dean Koontz. I read my Kindle every night and listen to Au

Two weeks ago I finally finished Tolstoy's magnum opus - the epic War and Peace. Its plot is mainly concerned with Napoleon's war against Russia at the beginning of the 19th century and two aristocrat

First I'm supposed to have said I downloaded a version when I didn't and haven't.......Then called a Wuss... when I'm not......and declared a regular at the wonderful Cherry bar.....When I've only bee

Posted Images

I've just dl'ed 15 Brad Thor books

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

You're a little tinker Odense...

You've confused me again.......A pun? Sarcasm? Typo?.........No doubt Jacko will put me right.

"dl'ed" = downloaded.

Why he couldn't have put that in the first place, I mean, how much time has it saved him and cost us to ask for a translation and to give one???????

I thought it was just kids that did text speak!

KM

"dl'ed" = downloaded.

Why he couldn't have put that in the first place, I mean, how much time has it saved him and cost us to ask for a translation and to give one???????

I thought it was just kids that did text speak!

KM

Hey! Those of us who adapted to the 21st century got it in one!

Hey! Those of us who adapted to the 21st century got it in one!

Oh, I got it in one, doesn't mean I have to like reading text speak!!

Bearing in mind this is a thread about what books people are reading, you wouldn't find a book written in text speak high up the rankings! :bhappy

• Upvote 1

BTW, if you see me around town with headphones in, I've now switched to audiobooks. They are great because I can listen while I am driving the motorbike, walking, or just finding it inconvenient to hold and read a Kindle.

I've seen that Amazon has a deal where you can buy the ebook and the audiobook for a small discount, and an app that keeps them synchronized on both devices, so if you stop listening and want to read, the Kindle is properly positioned to the right page...or vice versa.

It's expensive, but I'm tempted.

Downloaded - probably should have been in caps ;-)

People who get their knickers in a twist over common abbreviations must have a hard life ;-)

I can't really get started on enjoying audio books. I did manage one or two while driving but in general much prefer reading.

Sendt fra min SM-G935F med Tapatalk

Edited by Odense

I have recently been switching back and forth between Clive Cussler and Stuart Woods. Both have good books and some not as good. Kind of like Dean Koontz. I read my Kindle every night and listen to Audible audible books when going on a long drive. I'm not a cultured book reader. I like the adventure shoot em up types.

• Upvote 4

Recently I finished The Karamazov Brothers by Doestoevsky. It was brilliant - an absolute masterpiece of writing. No wonder this is considered by many to be his magnum opus. I really enjoyed Crime and Punishment and felt before I read this that it would have to be exceptionally good to surpass that but it did and I highly recommend it, it's one of the best books I've read.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a cultured book reader. I like the adventure shoot em up types.

This one from Dostoevsky about The Brothers kalashnikov.....sound up your firing range Gary..........

Recently I finished The Karamazov Brothers by Doestoevsky. - an absolute masterpiece of writing. .......considered by many to be his magnum opus.

...........Sorry SS.....but you might be, as the Thais say, (see sor hai kwai fang) 'playing violin for the buffalos'

But I'm not alone in my admiration of you.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

This one from Dostoevsky about The Brothers kalashnikov.....sound up your firing range Gary..........

...........Sorry SS.....but you might be, as the Thais say, (see sor hai kwai fang) 'playing violin for the buffalos'

But I'm not alone in my admiration of you.

I think many are put off reading Dostoevsky because they believe it to be far too intellectual and hard reading but I can assure you with the Brothers Karamazov that that is not the case, it was an absolute pleasure to read.

I have recently been switching back and forth between Clive Cussler and Stuart Woods. Both have good books and some not as good. Kind of like Dean Koontz. I read my Kindle every night and listen to Audible audible books when going on a long drive. I'm not a cultured book reader. I like the adventure shoot em up types.

Some genres work better for audio books than others. Listened to plenty of sci fi audio books. Military history doesn't work too well without maps.

I think many are put off reading Dostoevsky because they believe it to be far too intellectual and hard reading but I can assure you with the Brothers Karamazov that that is not the case, it was an absolute pleasure to read.

Price is right for Brothers Karamazov on Amazon... free. No excuse for anyone with a Kindle or computer to not give it a try, including me.

Edited to add: I must have caught Amazon on a generous day. Just checked and the price is now $1.99.

Edited by forcebwithu

Price is right for Brothers Karamazov on Amazon... free. No excuse for anyone with a Kindle or computer to not give it a try, including me.

I'd give it a go. It's brilliant. It is however quite epic at 870 pages (my copy) long so it'll take you a while to read it. It's actually called The Karamazov Brothers - for some reason I keep calling it the Brothers Karamazov.

I'd give it a go. It's brilliant. It is however quite epic at 870 pages (my copy) long so it'll take you a while to read it. It's actually called The Karamazov Brothers - for some reason I keep calling it the Brothers Karamazov.

It's "The Brothers Karamazov", always has been in the English translation.

Can be both.

But somehow.......'The Karamazov Brothers' has more of a er........er..Bonanza feel

Preferred translation is as I said...

Here's a search for "The Karamazov Brothers" and look what you get.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I read the book when I was 10 years old, so perhaps some changes have worked their way into the literary field since then, though that name change is not borne out by many Google searches.

Downloaded today along with Crime And Punishment. I'm also not really a cultured book reader, although I did read Crime and Punishment around twenty plus years ago and remember enjoying it, so will also give it a go again.

Will start the Karamazov brothers after I'm finished my current read, which is an autobiography from the team sky cyclist Geraint Thomas. Struggling to find the time to do a lot of reading these days for some reason.

Regards

Preferred translation is as I said...

Here's a search for "The Karamazov Brothers" and look what you get.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I read the book when I was 10 years old, so perhaps some changes have worked their way into the literary field since then, though that name change is not borne out by many Google searches.

Not arguing but this is cut from the first page of your quoted search ie..............https://www.google.com/search?q=the+karamazov+brothers&oq=the+karamazov+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.9604j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And look what I got!

4.3/5 · Goodreads

The Brothers Karamazov, also translated as The Karamazov Brothers, is the final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Wikipedia

Originally published: November 1880

Having said that you'll note I entered this thread by changing and the word order of the title to agree with you......

But as the quote shows it has been published with both word orders.

Main thing is it sounds a great read.

Edited by atlas2

Not arguing but this is cut from the first page of your quoted search ie..............https://www.google.com/search?q=the+karamazov+brothers&oq=the+karamazov+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.9604j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And look what I got!

4.3/5 · Goodreads

The Brothers Karamazov, also translated as The Karamazov Brothers, is the final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Wikipedia

Originally published: November 1880

Having said that you'll note I entered this thread by correcting Siam Sam's mis-spelling of the author's name and the word order of the title to agree with you......

But as the quote shows it has been published with both word orders.

Main thing is it sounds a great read.

also translated as The Karamazov Brothers,

"also" implies (correctly) secondary usage or lesser usage.

Best thing to do is what you've indicated...read the book.

also translated as The Karamazov Brothers,

"also" implies (correctly) secondary usage or lesser usage.

Best thing to do is what you've indicated...read the book.

Which one?

• Upvote 1

Which one?

The one you downloaded.

What was the name of the file or torrent, BTW?

• Upvote 1