Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I read on another board some time back that Beach Road was going to be widened.

Did this happen?

Yes, 3 lanes wide now with bottleneck at the Tai corner and slow all the way.

Yes, 3 lanes wide now with bottleneck at the Tai corner and slow all the way.

Or you could say it's better by a third.......I sail down it most week days. But I admit keep away from Patts completely at weekends.

Where did they carve the third lane from?

Where did they carve the third lane from?

Well I didn't notice that they moved all the shops, bars and hotels back a few yards on the land side!

Reclaimed from the walkway by the beach. It is still quite wide in parts though.

I had read something about down by the shrine and two palms were marked for removal.

But from I am reading it was a very limited widening. Or am I misreading things?

Well I walked down it Thursday night and there is still room for improvement. You have to step over a ruddy great big pipe running over it..great for any wheelchair/ mobility scooter guys, and there are areas of construction where it is narrowed down. You are even forced out onto the road into the path of already bottle-necking traffic near the corner...... Such a pity, it could be such an attraction but there always seems to be a few issues.

Well I didn't notice that they moved all the shops, bars and hotels back a few yards on the land side!

Reclaimed from the walkway by the beach. It is still quite wide in parts though.

One would think a no parking sign would have been cheaper on the shop side.

I am having a bit of difficulty understanding where the widening is.

Between what sois is this being done?

Certainly once you get down to WS the traffic will bottle neck, making the left turn onto South Pattaya Road and its short distance to Second Road.

There is a point where the wide walkway disappears as the bar complex juts out. Business on the land end with a sidewalk opposite. So I am imagining it is well before that.

Big D you have been coming to Thailand and Pattaya long enough to know just how effective that would be...lol

Edited by cbrib

I think someone must have Beach Road contract. They routinely tear it up for one reason or another. Corruption?

Big D you have been coming to Thailand and Pattaya long enough to know just how effective that would be...lol

I see your point.

Certainly once you get down to WS the traffic will bottle neck, making the left turn onto South Pattaya Road and its short distance to Second Road.

There is a point where the wide walkway disappears as the bar complex juts out. Business on the land end with a sidewalk opposite. So I am imagining it is well before that.

sorry to bump my own question but can anyone answer it for me?

sorry to bump my own question but can anyone answer it for me?

First of all, the widening is complete (for this year, until they come up with some other pork barrel project for the road, walkway, or beach)..as for how far it is...I think it's all the way from North Pattaya Road to Pattaya Tai...I could be wrong, since I don't go that way too often, and I'm not looking at anything but traffic when I do.

First of all, the widening is complete (for this year, until they come up with some other pork barrel project for the road, walkway, or beach)..as for how far it is...I think it's all the way from North Pattaya Road to Pattaya Tai...I could be wrong, since I don't go that way too often, and I'm not looking at anything but traffic when I do.

Thanks, MM. I was having difficulty envisioning the scope of the project.

That was a big project then.

I look forward to seeing the changes in a few months.

:chogdee2

Well they have difficulty with that sort of thing here.

Maybe if the move the sea back 6 feet then that will be the solution :whistling:

There is nothing that can be done about the bottleneck at South Pattaya and Beach Road short of destroying a whole bunch of buildings.

Coming from our overly practical system here, it is refreshing to go to Thailand. I can understand why expats there might not agree with me but it is rather liberating from my perspective.

I can't wait to go through the drainage mess when I come back in January. At least I won't be the one driving.

The widening occurred for the full length of Beach Rd.

The other area you talk of is currently where you as a pedestrian are forced out into the already bottle-necking traffic due to construction work.

The widening occurred for the full length of Beach Rd.

The other area you talk of is currently where you as a pedestrian are forced out into the already bottle-necking traffic due to construction work.

yes, where you go off the wide walk and around the corner of the building before you get on the small sidewalk just before WS. That is still the case, is it not? Or did they take a chunk out of the building there?

Are we on the same page?

Thanks for the added info btw.

yes, where you go off the wide walk and around the corner of the building before you get on the small sidewalk just before WS. That is still the case, is it not? Or did they take a chunk out of the building there?

Are we on the same page?

Thanks for the added info btw.

Well you need to turn right and go to the Beer Garden instead now. :D

It gets bad before the actual bend as there is work going on in the vicinity of the sewage pumping place, but for a long time the pavement has been narrow or completely absent from the actual bend back 20-30 yards in-front of the boxing ring/ beer bar complex. There may well be concrete barriers now between pedestrians and the traffic but it is narrow and people are trying to go in both directions there.

It is ironic to me that the access to a Walking St, the biggest tourist attraction in Pattaya, restricts walking and makes it dangerous! I recall someone ended up with 2 broken legs as they tried to dash between large coaches and failed a while back.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1