Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Well you need to turn right and go to the Beer Garden instead now. :D

It gets bad before the actual bend as there is work going on in the vicinity of the sewage pumping place, but for a long time the pavement has been narrow or completely absent from the actual bend back 20-30 yards in-front of the boxing ring/ beer bar complex. There may well be concrete barriers now between pedestrians and the traffic but it is narrow and people are trying to go in both directions there.

It is ironic to me that the access to a Walking St, the biggest tourist attraction in Pattaya, restricts walking and makes it dangerous! I recall someone ended up with 2 broken legs as they tried to dash between large coaches and failed a while back.

oh yah!

That is just part of the charm! But you need to be careful there, for sure. I will walk a little farther as my dashing days are rapidly diminishing. I think my days of sprinting across Second Road are over too. I might need a motorbike taxi to cross three lanes of traffic.

;)

I will see it in just over 5 months!

I think I remember 6 times over the last 15 years. Beach Road or the promenade has been rebuilt. Some day they may get it right.

I think I remember 6 times over the last 15 years. Beach Road or the promenade has been rebuilt. Some day they may get it right.

I am inclined to say it is a never ending job, perhaps like painting the Golden Gate bridge.

I am inclined to say it is a never ending job, perhaps like painting the Golden Gate bridge.

or Sydney Harbour bridge, I believe it takes them one year to paint it and then they start all over again...

or Sydney Harbour bridge, I believe it takes them one year to paint it and then they start all over again...

Better get that contractor back......

Large and Dangerous Hole appears on Pattaya Beach Promenade

(Three ladyboys and Atlas2 reported missing)

Pattaya One

Edited by jacko
  • 3 weeks later...

Did they ever "finish" paving 2nd road? I remember for the most part, much of it was being worked on...for years. My last trip last October saw some improvements but not much else. A lot of the road was still really full of potholes.

Did they ever "finish" paving 2nd road? I remember for the most part, much of it was being worked on...for years. My last trip last October saw some improvements but not much else. A lot of the road was still really full of potholes.

Yes, it's been repaved. There are some rough spots where drains were paved around leaving drops to the drain, but overall, it's much better than it was.

Prior to the repaving, driving down 2nd road was akin to being in a boat with heavy wave action...now it's pretty smooth.

They probably won't need to repave for at least another 6 months :P

• Upvote 1

I was in town last year -- I think it was mid-October -- when they were repaving second road OMG, that was a complete disaster. There where holes big enough to swallow a baht bus. Traffic and dust were horrible.

Thais amaze me. In some areas, very specific manufacturing for instance, they're just great. But try to pave a freaking road? Can't do it.

Yes, it's been repaved. There are some rough spots where drains were paved around leaving drops to the drain, but overall, it's much better than it was.

Prior to the repaving, driving down 2nd road was akin to being in a boat with heavy wave action...now it's pretty smooth.

They probably won't need to repave for at least another 6 months :P

Slight aside someone has actually filled the potholes on soi Chayaphun so the slow ride down may be easier on the teeth. Mind you loose aggregate has been used so it won't last.

• Upvote 1

Slight aside someone has actually filled the potholes on soi Chayaphun so the slow ride down may be easier on the teeth. Mind you loose aggregate has been used so it won't last.

And they've added several speed bumps along the way. Not sure why they needed those as traffic never moved fast with all the choke points from food carts and bikes parked halfway into the soi.

I was riding down Jomtiem front Monday, wondering why all this work was going on there. Jomtiem Beach Rd was fine as it was, and should have been left alone. Then it clicked, the inferior promenade construction in Pattaya, which needs to be repaired every year and have holes fixed frequently, generates a lot of money for people. Jomtiem, with a well constructed Beach frontage was failing to be productive!

(Actually I am betting the road will be widened so that those annoying night/event markets can be staged there).

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I agree.......All this work will be washed away in the vulnerable places as soon as the storm surges come. They've taken out dozens of mature trees. Completely unnecessary ............ But perhaps as you say 'money in the bank' for someone.

I agree.......All this work will be washed away in the vulnerable places as soon as the storm surges come. They've taken out dozens of mature trees. Completely unnecessary ............ But perhaps as you say 'money in the bank' for someone.

While I am having a moan and feeling grumpy, the other pocket liner, those pedestrian crossings dotted all over town, have become completely useless (or perhaps worse, a risk to life and limb if you are daft enough to try and cross by them), Took me ages to get across 2nd Rd yesterday and this is low-low season!

While I am having a moan and feeling grumpy, the other pocket liner, those pedestrian crossings dotted all over town, have become completely useless (or perhaps worse, a risk to life and limb if you are daft enough to try and cross by them), Took me ages to get across 2nd Rd yesterday and this is low-low season!

When I can no longer sprint across the road (and at 64 that won't be much longer - not that a sprint at 64 is anything you might recognize as such) I will stop going there.

When I can no longer sprint across the road (and at 64 that won't be much longer - not that a sprint at 64 is anything you might recognize as such) I will stop going there.

At 64, sudden acceleration can be risky!

But I seriously couldn't get across for a good while, it was a steady stream. I suppose I could have walked back to the Klang junction and got across there but I didn't want to go that way.

At 64, sudden acceleration can be risky!

But I seriously couldn't get across for a good while, it was a steady stream. I suppose I could have walked back to the Klang junction and got across there but I didn't want to go that way.

Well, I am pretty warmed up by then and my brisk walk turns into an older man's jog, which turns into something faster.

From now on I will cross at South Pattaya perhaps or just go by taxi.

With 4 months to go, time to hit the gym.