Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ristorante Da Marco on the Darkside

I ordered the "Braised Pork Jowl and Filet with Morels Sauce and Young Potatoes." Pork jowl consists of the cheek and part of the neck of the pig. It's most often encountered in cured form - Italian guanciale as well as hog jowl bacon in U.S. southern cooking and soul food - but it can also be cooked fresh. In the U.S., I've had pork jowl that had been slow cooked or simmered for anyway between 4 and 24 hours, then seared in a frying pan and finally roasted or grilled to create a crispy surface on the fat and melt away most of the excess. I'd never had it braised and served with a sauce, so I was eager to try Da Marco's version. It cost 460 baht

9.jpg

There was a lot of flavor in the jowl meat and sauce, but I hadn't expected the layer of fat to have been that dense and flabby. This could be a cultural thing. I know in some regional cuisines fat is considered to be the best part of the dish, but that's not my preference.

9a.jpg

The morels weren't very noticeable in the sauce, but it tasted good, if a bit generic. The piece of pork tenderloin (the fillet) was nicely cooked and seasoned. It was juicy with a lot of flavor. On the downside, the menu had said "young potatoes," which I took to mean new or baby potatoes. Apparently Da Marco didn't have "young potatoes" that night, but the waitress didn't tell me this when I ordered. What I got as a side was fried potatoes that hadn't been seasoned. I doubt that I would have changed my order if the waitress had told me new potatoes weren't available, but it's also clear that new potatoes go better with a fatty dish like pork jowl than fried potatoes.

10.jpg

MM ordered the pork tenderloin and he seemed happy with it, although he said he get much of a Marsala wine taste from the sauce. Saffron risotto was his side.

10a.jpg

Dan ordered the backstrap (aka "eye of loin") of lamb, a premium cut. He said it was quality meat that had been cooked and seasoned properly. He did note that there was a bit of an imbalance in portion size: not enough vegetables in relation to the generous serving of meat. He was supposed to have gotten potato gratin with the lamb, but Da Marco didn't have that night or had run out. The waitress had told him this when he ordered and he got the same fried potatoes as I did.

11.jpg

MM's side of risotto and my potatoes:

12.jpg

The desserts at Da Marco weren't very impressive, mostly vanilla ice cream topped with sauces or liqueurs. I skipped dessert, but MM ordered the crepes Suzette. He said he'd never seen it served in quite that fashion. Traditionally, crepes Suzette is flambeed at the diner's table. It wasn't served that way at Da Marco.

13.jpg

Dan had the panna cotta:

14.jpg

I contented myself with a cup of excellent cappuccino.

14a.jpg

The cost of my meal was 270 B for the ravioli; 460 B for the pork jowl; 100 B for a bottle of SML and 30 B for the cappuccino, total 860 B. That's a reasonable price for a meal of that quality.

The ravioli was the high point of the meal for me and makes me want to try the other Italian pasta dishes on the menu. On the whole, the food tasted fine, but there were a few misses regarding service, sides and presentation.

I've attached copies of most of the menu at Da Marco so you can see what's on offer and how much it costs.

15.jpg

16.jpg

I've also copied the map from Da Marco's website to give you a better idea of where it is and how to get there. You can get more information here: Ristorante Da Marco.

17.jpg

I have no problem in recommending a visit to Da Marco; just be aware it's a very long way from central Pattaya and can be tricky to find. Also, because of its popularity, be sure to phone ahead to make a reservation. It would be a real shame to go all that way only to find no tables were available.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 3

Those ravioli were delicious, I have to say. As you said, the marinated avocado with shrimp and tomato didn't look that great and certainly is not photogenic, but it was very tasty with just the right amounts of seasoning and a decent amount of shrimp.

I have eaten at this place and found the food very tasty, and good enough value for what it was, but presentation was not great. (C'est la vie ! B) )

Hope the "anti-smoking stormtroopers :angry2 " aren't reading the thread! :P

Another top notch restaurant to put on my list.

I wouldn't suggest going out there on your rented bike.

I have given all due consideration on where I feel safe® to scooter around. And you are correct. That is not on my list.

Just curious - why is that area not safe ?

Just curious - why is that area not safe ?

It's a fairly long drive through some rural areas where things might jump out at you from the bushes.

It's a fairly long drive through some rural areas where things might jump out at you from the bushes.

I recently read of a collapsing drain cover (on Khao Talo) where the drop was 20cm...ouch.

Have to watch out for people who have been drinking in restaurants too!

I can see the collapsing road would be a problem - doubt the drunks are worse on the DS than in SS. Maybe now with the alcohol testing - if they don't do that on the DS.

I recently read of a collapsing drain cover (on Khao Talo) where the drop was 20cm...ouch.

Have to watch out for people who have been drinking in restaurants too!

The way we went was via Soi 87, and there were two or three big holes in the road taking up one of the two lanes where they had placed barrels around them, but no warning lights or other hazard signs.

The way we went was via Soi 87, and there were two or three big holes in the road taking up one of the two lanes where they had placed barrels around them, but no warning lights or other hazard signs.

I don't want to go into too much detail here off topic but I had an adventure out into the cassava fields last night returning from a restaurant. I made 2 stupid mistakes.

1) I followed a diversion sign, there was just the one, and it certainly was a diversion.

2) I took advice off a Thai lady following behind me.

It is a good job I have a truck.

There are indeed some strange and unpleasant creatures lurking on the Darkside.

Evil

There are indeed some strange and unpleasant creatures lurking on the Darkside.

Evil

But you don't HAVE to meet the sexpats there

Leos and Tigers and Changs actually.