Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Critics say Delta Air Lines is shaming passengers to spend more

"Delta Air Lines passengers board a flight at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Critics say the carrier is shaming passengers into upgrading their basic economy fare ticket.

(John Amis / Associated Press)

Upselling has become a major strategy for the airline industry.

Carriers grab your attention with a low fare but then try to sell you a roomier seat, early boarding privileges or a refundable ticket, among other extras.

A passenger rights group says Delta Air Lines has pushed the tactic to new levels by shaming travelers into buying expensive upgrades.

When you choose a basic economy fare on Delta’s website, the final page before you confirm the purchase now lists several restrictions you face if you buy the cheap ticket. It warns that you will be last to board and last to access overhead bin space. It says you will get no seat assignment, no refunds, no ticket changes, no early boarding and no stand-by travel changes.

Paul Hudson, president of flyersrights.org, a nonprofit passenger rights group, compared the tactic to a car dealer that pressures buyers into paying for multiple upgrades to a basic car model, such as an expensive sound system.

“If it works, other airlines will likely try to follow,” he said.

cComments
  • @jackowskme Turn on InPrivate browsing.
    John Q Governor
    at 9:05 PM August 16, 2015
Add a comment See all comments

Delta spokesman Anthony Black said the purpose of the website section was not to shame people but “to make people aware of what they are buying.”

To read more about travel, tourism and the airline industry, follow me on Twitter at @hugomartin.

Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times

Edited by BigDUSA
  • Downvote 1

Get used to it... and always READ the ticket rules...

The airlines (mainly the US airlines) are gonna nickle and dime you to death...

Edited by Saddic

It is a shame - but we brought it on ourselves -they do it because it works.

The cheap flights search engines only show the price for the basic ticket and it matters to get in the top of those searches.

Get used to it... and always READ the ticket rules...

The airlines (mainly the US airlines) are gonna nickle and dime you to death...

Try flying Cebu . They advertise chaep flights and then start the add-ons

Carryon

Checked bag costs ,if i recall 15,20,25 kg choices..God forbid you guess low because the airport cost is 10 times the web cost

Meals automatically added. You have to search to delete

Insurance used to be added. More searching to decline

You want a seat? Even the worst seat costs you, exit row and comfort seats even more.

Want to move after boarding....no chance and costs much more then at booking...

Just Wait till that model comes to major carriers

Over the years traveling to Thailand my biggest bargain has been paying $200 over US airline fares and flying ANA. Now i love air asia once im there, but you need to know the rules and how to uncheck boxes . I was leaving Bali and a young couple with a small apartment worth of baggage was in front of us. I told the girl with me this was going to take awhile, Sure enough, much drama, tears and a trip to the atm for them.

Carryon

Checked bag costs ,if i recall 15,20,25 kg choices..God forbid you guess low because the airport cost is 10 times the web cost

You want a seat? Even the worst seat costs you, exit row and comfort seats even more.

Exactly... Have a look at the Tiger Air website... (it's Singapore based and the website is pretty good btw...)... everything is a'la carte...

I booked a flight from BKK-SIN... (saved about $100 over Thai...)

Much the same restrictions... but since I knew what I wanted... and what to expect... it was pretty easy and well explained... I even paid for the option to board first :)

Edited by Saddic

And don't forget the final insult to injury, at least with Air Asia. The last step to pay informs you of a booking fee, even though you're doing all the work of booking on their website.

Thanks for the warning..

• 4 weeks later...

Delta is just a typical US airlines. Nothing special. One thing of note: until fairly recently, I never once flew Delta when they didn't somehow misplace my bags. Every single time. Lost luggage. They always found it, but sometimes it took them a day or two. After the last incident, I've decided that from now on, I travel with only a carry-on bag.

• 1 year later...

Carryon

That is common on nearly every discount carrier-no matter the country. I'm using Jeju Air from Seoul and it applies with them too. Cebu Pacific,Air Asia-all the same.

Let's be clear-Virgin DOES NOT fly to Ft Myers.

I guess he doesn't know that it will be a code share flight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess he doesn't know that it will be a code share flight.

And I guess you didn't spend 32 years at Delta either. Again,they DO NOT fly to Ft Myers.

Care to talk about the airline industry?

Edited by 4wheels
  • Downvote 1

And I guess you didn't spend 32 years at Delta either. Again,they DO NOT fly to Ft Myers.

Mr Attitude!!!

Why are you bringing up something posted nearly two years ago and if you spent all that time in the industry why didn't YOU mention code sharing as an option?

KM

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You do realise what a code share flight is, right?

I didn't say that Virgin flew there, i said it was a code share flight!

• Upvote 2

You do realise what a code share flight is, right?

I didn't say that Virgin flew there, i said it was a code share flight!

Wrong yet again.

"Hi.

booked Delta to Fort Myers next month.Flight

is being done by Virgin.Good news.

Scottie"

No mention of codeshare.

I'm flying london to Fort Myers with Delta in September.Heathrow to Atlanta is with Virgin then

Atlanta to Fort Myers is Delta.

Scottie

Scottie,welcome to SW Florida and the wettest summer in quite some time. And hopefully you'll enjoy your flights on BOTH carriers,not just Delta.

• Upvote 1

Mr Attitude!!!

Why are you bringing up something posted nearly two years ago and if you spent all that time in the industry why didn't YOU mention code sharing as an option?

KM

Simple to answer. No attitude whatsoever!!! (Using same number of exclamation points as you). Simply correcting an error. Codeshare wasn't in the conversation originally-only when posted as follow up, in error. I thought it was obvious that it WAS a codeshare since VS will never fly to Ft. Myers. My error in assuming something so obvious.I'm always happy to answer any questions regarding airlines. I certainly don't know it all but I know a bit. I was also trained by BA in NYC,VS in MCO and KL in AMS to handle those carriers a my airline handled those carriers. Happy to clarify.

Delta is just a typical US airlines. Nothing special. One thing of note: until fairly recently, I never once flew Delta when they didn't somehow misplace my bags. Every single time. Lost luggage. They always found it, but sometimes it took them a day or two. After the last incident, I've decided that from now on, I travel with only a carry-on bag.

I feel it necessary to reply. In 66 years of flying Delta as a dependent,employee and now a DL retiree,only once in that time did my bag not arrive with me. If my trip is longer than 2 days,I always check a bag.Sorry for your experience. Delta was at the forefront of RFID tags. And if you look at DL baggage handling,their record is admirable.

Wrong yet again.

"Hi.

booked Delta to Fort Myers next month.Flight

is being done by Virgin.Good news.

Scottie"

No mention of codeshare.

You really need to loose that chip on your shoulder, it's doing you no good at all!

Now I know he said Virgin, and you say they don't fly there, and your correct. But. If he has booked it this way, and hasn't really looked at all the flight info, you will see that it clearly looks like he would be flying Virgin, but is actually a "code share" flight with Delta.

IMG_1935.PNG

• Upvote 2