Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

Now that rainy season is all but over, thought it would be interesting to compare the water level in Mabprachan Reservoir to what it was on this day one year ago. The photo update below has photos taken this morning followed by the photo from last year taken from the same point.

While the water level at the overflow outlet is only slightly lower than last year, you'll see in the other photos just how much lower the water level is across the reservoir compared to last year.

PB110032.jpg

PB110032b.jpg

PB110034.jpg

PB110039.jpg

PB110039b.jpg

PB110041.jpg

PB110041b.jpg

PB110045.jpg

PB110045b.jpg

PB110049.jpg

PB110049b.jpg

PB110055.jpg

PB110055b.jpg

PB110059.jpg

PB110059b.jpg

PB110071.jpg

PB110071b.jpg

PB110083.jpg

PB110083b.jpg

PB110084.jpg

PB110084b.jpg

PB110090.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a nice ride out to Huai Chak Nok Reservoir today. The water situation is looking pretty dire there too. Google Earth view of the photo stops today. I've also noted the change in the water's e

Same as Mabprachan, Huai Chak Nok is also slowly recovering, but still extremely low. Extra pump is no longer needed to get the water to the pumping station. I think

And over at Huai Chak Nok Reservoir

Posted Images

Pattaya should not be needing much water this season...... unless we have a Songkhran.

10 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Certainly some improvement. The rainy season is almost over, is it not? A blessing in a way that it isn't business as usual in Pattaya...less water usage.

It seems to be over. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, midlifecrisis said:

Certainly some improvement. The rainy season is almost over, is it not? A blessing in a way that it isn't business as usual in Pattaya...less water usage.

Spoke too soon as usual, had a bit of rain today!

• 1 month later...

A New Years update of the shrinking Pattaya reservoirs. First up is Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.

P1010019

As you can see in the pic below the current water level is down by about 1m from the same time one year ago.

P1010020

P1010006_stitch

P1010010

P1010028

P1010033

Took a hard fall off my bike at this spot. It's a section of road I've ridden on many times in the past, and one that most of the year has a stream of water crossing the road. What I didn't account for was the algae build up. So when I crossed at about 20kph it was liking hitting a stretch of ice and down I went. Fortunately only a bit of road rash, a bruised hip and slight wrist sprain. More importantly, no damage to the bike. :D

P1010037

P1010042_stitch

P1010046

P1010048_stitch

• Upvote 1

Mabprachan Reservoir is looking in slightly better shape compared to this time last year. I guessing, but the reason for this might be Pattaya's water supply is now coming from the new water pipes that connect to water sources to the north.

P1010058

P1010059

P1010051_stitch

P1010065

P1010072

P1010076

P1010081

Looks like they're building a new park on Mabprachan.

P1010089_stitch

P1010099

It pissed me off when I came around the bend and saw this. There was plenty of space for them to park on the other side of the trees. But noooo, they had to park in the shade on the bike path. Saw a Thai couple were sitting in the back of the pickup so they got an earful from me as I rode past.

P1010100

P1010101

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I guessing, but the reason for this might be Pattaya's water supply is now coming from the new water pipes that connect to water sources to the north.

My guess is that there is less water use due to so few tourist.

Reported on another forum was an explanation for the rise in Mabprachan water levels due to pumping water into the reservoir. I was curious to see if there was any evidence of that, so I used my mtn bike to ride the back trails into the pumping station. The destination of the pumping station was based on the assumption if they're going to pump water into the reservoir, that would be the logical place to do it. Looking at the pipes going into the pumping station didn't see anything new.

P1050015

No changes that I could see on the exterior of the pump house either. But they could have done work on the interior and they could be using the existing pipes to bring water into the pumping station. I could hear the pumps running, but no obvious current in the water around the pump house to tell if the water was coming or going. Could also be they're only pumping water into the reservoir when there's a surplus elsewhere.

P1050016

P1050020

P1050021

P1050008 P1050002

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I was thinking it's about time for another update. I'll do that sometime in the next week.

We were forecast rain today but it didn't materialize over this way so it got me wondering what the situation was. Thanks!

8 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

We were forecast rain today but it didn't materialize over this way so it got me wondering what the situation was. Thanks!

Had 2 short early showers very early out by my area.... but nothing much. 

13 hours ago, Bullfrog said:

My taxi driver reckoned there was a lot of rain in Sattahip yesterday. None in Jomtien.

• 1 month later...

I recall that during the last big water shortage (10 years ago? ) they said they would do this. It was a perfect opportunity as so little water left and lots of exposed land. Of course TIT, it rained and so they never bothered! 

with no tourist and 40% of population having gone back to villages.

What are the odd's of these ponds filling up? i recall about 98-99 that the spillways actually worked.

but then 2nd road to 3rd road was mangroves swamp.☠️

13 hours ago, aj said:

but then 2nd road to 3rd road was mangroves swamp

When Buffalo Bar was aptly named !!

Today I noticed that the new drainage pipes on Pattaya Tai had all been cleaned out ready for use but then I started to think "Which way are they taking the water?" ...Has anybody seen an overall plan of the new system?  

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bullfrog said:

Indeed! There has been nobody here to use it! 

What is your opinion (I ask because I respect your opinion on the subject more than most) on what might have happened to the water supply if tourism had continued unabated over the last year ... including two Songkrans??

Thought I would reply in this topic rather than go to OT in the other thread.

My guess is we would be in dire straits for water if it wasn't for the pandemic.

Mentioned before in an earlier post is the Eastwater site which is a good source for weekly updates on the water situation. What I wish they had was a chart that showed water consumption over time. That would be good info to nail down just what kind of shape we would be in with tourists present.

The graphic below has demand figures (brown shaded boxes) which I first thought was actual demand. But looking back at the graphics for the same week the past three years, I see the same demand numbers for 2018, 2019 and 2020, which leads me to believe these are guestimates of what actual demand will be. And even then, they're piss poor estimates if they don't revaluate and change them from year to year.

Screen Shot 04-15-21 at 04.12 PM.jpg

• Thanks 2
13 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

What I wish they had was a chart that showed water consumption over time

Presuming everyone pays bills based on a metered connection some data should be possible on that. Accepting there is a lot of unmetered wastage from simple evaporation, to that small river near the school that was there a week. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jacko said:

Presuming everyone pays bills based on a metered connection some data should be possible on that. Accepting there is a lot of unmetered wastage from simple evaporation, to that small river near the school that was there a week. 

I've no doubt the data exists on a computer somewhere, but unfortunately it's data they're not making available to the general public.

Some speculation, but I'd hazard a guess that in a western country I could walk into the water dept and request that data with a good chance of being given the data. Try that here, even if I were a tax paying Thai citizen and I'd probably not make it past the reception desk. Reason being, those in power want to control access to information as information is power, and that same information can be used against them to point out their failings.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I could walk into the water dept and request that data

Can't get into mine now.... had to pay my last bill from outside, through a sliding small window.