Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

Whatever happened to the huge pipeline they were building from the Bang Pakong river. I well remember seeing the work along a highway going on several years ago. At the time, I scoffed at the pipeline but maybe they knew their business and could see the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a nice ride out to Huai Chak Nok Reservoir today. The water situation is looking pretty dire there too. Google Earth view of the photo stops today. I've also noted the change in the water's e

Same as Mabprachan, Huai Chak Nok is also slowly recovering, but still extremely low. Extra pump is no longer needed to get the water to the pumping station. I think

And over at Huai Chak Nok Reservoir

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Gary said:

Whatever happened to the huge pipeline they were building from the Bang Pakong river. I well remember seeing the work along a highway going on several years ago. At the time, I scoffed at the pipeline but maybe they knew their business and could see the future.

The problem here is the news reporting, at least in English, of infrastructure projects is pretty sparse. Might be because topics like the price of pussy are more popular.

One of the graphics in the Eastwater report mentions plans to divert water from Bang Pa Kong River when reservoir levels drop below a set level. That would imply the pipeline has been completed.

image.png

• Like 1

Are there any restrictions currently in place?

The reason I ask is that I was using my neighbour's washing machine this morning, which is next to their water storage tank. At 8am it started refilling and by the splashing noises it seemed quite low so I doubt that it was a normal cock and ball controlled refill..

Whenever I see them I'll ask of course, but maybe they don't know...

28 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

Are there any restrictions currently in place?

The reason I ask is that I was using my neighbour's washing machine this morning, which is next to their water storage tank. At 8am it started refilling and by the splashing noises it seemed quite low so I doubt that it was a normal cock and ball controlled refill..

Whenever I see them I'll ask of course, but maybe they don't know...

No restrictions that I'm aware of. There has been quite a lot of work going on around here laying new pipes, so it may have been a disruption of the service while they hooked up the old to the new.

19 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

No restrictions that I'm aware of. There has been quite a lot of work going on around here laying new pipes, so it may have been a disruption of the service while they hooked up the old to the new.

I have just refilled my water bottle from their filter machine and it looked a bit yellow so I chucked it away and swished out the bottle. The next refill looked clear (I boil it for coffee anyway) so you could just be right, as is normal of course!

Our condo complex (Soi Chaiyapruk) has always had water with no restrictions. I'm not sure where the water comes from but it is amazingly soft. That makes me think that they draw water from the huge swamp behind the complex. Compared to our village upcountry, the water is so hard that the shower head clogs up with minerals on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...

Mabprachan Reservoir is looking better than it did this time last year (link to last year's post).
P5040044.jpg

P5040045.jpg

P5040047.jpg

P5040052.jpg

Work has started on extension to the park area on the north side of the reservoir.
P5040057.jpgP5040061.jpg

P5040070.jpg

P5040071.jpg

The swim platform for the first time in a long time is floating again.
P5040076.jpg

P5040083.jpg

P5040044.jpg

Can barely see the floating pump house with all the high weeds.
P5040087.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Almost three months since the last update. I was worried Huai Chak Nok Reservoir would be closed due to the latest round of Covid restrictions, but luckily that proved not to be the case.

Not easy to see in this pic, but on the west end they're building a structure.
P7240002.jpg

P7240008_stitch.jpg

P7240013_stitch.jpg

P7240018.jpg

P7240020.jpg

Don't know what they're doing here. Enlarging the capacity of the reservoir maybe.
P7240036.jpg

P7240037.jpg

Perhaps this sign explains the project.
P7240041.jpg

P7240042.jpg

P7240045_stitch.jpg

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Mabprachan Reservoir on the other hand was closed, so only got a couple of distant shots

I wish I could figure out why.... 

All diversions have been stopped this time round, when cycling about the lake should be as safe a thing as one can do... more so than going to a little convenience shop. Nice to be back into cooler weather with some rain. 

2 hours ago, jacko said:

I wish I could figure out why.... 

All diversions have been stopped this time round, when cycling about the lake should be as safe a thing as one can do... more so than going to a little convenience shop. Nice to be back into cooler weather with some rain. 

It was an enjoyable ride yesterday afternoon. Normally go out midmorning to avoid the heat of the day, but yesterday's cloud cover and the occasional spit of rain was perfect riding weather.

As to why the shut down the bike path, it's probably because the bike path is part of the Mabprachan park system and the edict from on high says all parks must be closed.

Lazy policy making, IMHO. If I were emperor I'd keep beaches and parks open and instruct my police force to break up and tell any groups of greater than N to move along. I'd also make this the national song.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

As to why the shut down the bike path, it's probably because the bike path is part of the Mabprachan park system and the edict from on high says all parks must be closed.

Lazy policy making, IMHO. If I were emperor I'd keep beaches and parks open and instruct my police force to break up and tell any groups of greater than N to move along. 

Or close at 6 or 7pm if they feel the need for a bright line rule.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, forcebwithu said:

Lazy policy making, IMHO. If I were emperor I'd keep beaches and parks open and instruct my police force to break up and tell any groups of greater than N to move along. I'd also make this the national song.

Drove past it a bit after 6pm.  More than a couple of bikers and walkers out on the paths.  The barriers and signs are still up.  I'm a little too visible so I don't think I will be pressing my luck.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, keyman said:

Higher water levels due to less of those pesky tourists drinking it!! ?

And flushing things down the toilet 6 times a night!

• 5 weeks later...

Rainfall has been good this year. First time in quite a few years the cumulative total is tracking the average.
Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.49 AM.JPG
source: http://www.pattayaweather.net/

I also see a website I bookmarked years earlier has been updated to show almost real time reservoir levels. For Mabprachan it's now at 103%.
Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.49 AM 001.JPG
source: http://www.thaiwater.net/water

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Eight months since the last update, so about time I got out there again and checked the reservoir levels. No surprise with lack of tourists and a decent amount of rain the reservoirs are in great shape. First up, Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.

The side reservoir that was being used by a jet ski business is full, but no more jet ski business.
P5230023.JPG

The dredged out pond on the right is new. No idea what that is used for.
P5230027.JPG

P5230029.JPG

P5230030.JPG

P5230032.JPG

P5230044.JPG

The dogs were the smart ones. Those that bothered to open an eye probably had a good laugh at the stupid human passing by on a bike in the heat.
P5230047.JPG

P5230050.JPG

Overflow basin that's been dry for years.
P5230054.JPG

P5230073.JPG

P5230074.JPG

P5230093.JPG

I'm hoping the work they're doing on the far shore will include a bike path. There was a time only a few years ago we could ride a dirt path along that shore on our mtn bikes.
P5230094.JPG

P5230095.JPG

P5230096.JPG

P5230097.JPG

P5230098.JPG

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Had a look this morning at the state of the reservoirs at the end of the rainy season. The news is good. First time in I can't remember how many years, maybe nine, that I've seen the reservoirs full.

First set of pics showing Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.
PB110003.JPG

Looks like one of the channels they dug during the drought is now being used as a fish farm.
PB110005.JPG

PB110007.JPG

The prevailing winds has pushed all the floating vegetation to the south end of the reservoir.
PB110009.JPG

Closer to the north side it looks like they strung a cable across to keep the vegetation from clogging the new park on the north end when the winds shift around.
PB110062.JPG

PB110010.JPG

PB110013.JPG

PB110014.JPG

Something to behold, the water level is up to the spillway edge for the first time in donkey years.
PB110020.JPG

PB110024.JPG

On the east side they now have an outlet pipe which I believe connects to water sources south of Pattaya. That gives the water management dept the option of pumping water into the reservoir when things get dire again.
PB110026.JPG

Nice house with some great views going up on the southwest side.
PB110028.JPG

PB110030.JPG

Unfortunately the view right now will be a sea of green.
PB110037.JPG

PB110038.JPG

PB110059.JPG

There is now a beautiful park on the north end of the reservoir which you can read about in this topic.

https://forums.pattayatalk.com/topic/69095-bike-paths-routes-around-pattaya/?do=findComment&comment=1318769

• Like 2

Mabprachan Reservoir is looking equally as good.
PB110064.JPG

PB110067.JPG

Like Huai Chak Nok Reservoir, the spillway on Mabprachan now has running water again.
PB110068.JPG

PB110070.JPG

PB110074.JPG

PB110078.JPG

Can't ever remember seeing the old boat house flooded out.
PB110079.JPG

PB110081.JPG

Looks like they're quarrying gravel, which when they're done will further increase the reservoir capacity.
PB110086.JPG

PB110089.JPG

The side footpath on the north side is now completed and has several exercise stations along its length.
PB110091.JPG

PB110093.JPG

PB110094.JPG

PB110097.JPG

Searching for coins in the kratongs.
PB110098.JPG

PB110101.JPG

I remember not long ago the pumping station was sucking mud, no longer though.
PB110111.JPG

PB110113.JPG

The new Dollhouse Darkside GC on the east side of the reservoir.
PB110118.JPG

PB110120.JPG

• Like 4