Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

In about a year I will be retiring to Pattaya when I turn 54.I have been going there since 1989,and let's just say it's in my blood and the move is inevitable.

I have bought a Condo in the soon to be finished Unixx development at the base of Buddah Hill and that will be my base,as I plan to do a lot of travelling through Asia and probably Bkk visits every second weekend.I like the PI a lot and recently discovered the joys of Jakarta.

Money won't be an issue as I will be taking on a working partner in my own business which I have built up over many years and will provide an extremely strong income stream as well as income from properties I own, and dividends from the stock market,so I can fund and pursue a hedonistic lifestyle.

Just a question to the current retirees....do you ever get bored on a day to day basis?What does your daily routine consist of? and do you have a return plan to your home city if it didn't work out for you? What I mean is,if you returned back home,would you have a house/lodgings to return to.

I am a workaholic and always have been,so adjusting to not working,may be a step for me,or I may easily fall into the non working routine.I don't know because I have never really tried it....to busy working.Will soon find out though.

Yes, there are moments of boredom, but life is what YOU make of it.

Plenty of things to do and diversions in Pattaya, more so than what is available to an old man back in Manchester UK!

I have no return plans BUT an underlying nagging feeling that as I age, I will not be able to afford ill health out here,

I have no place of my own to return to, but at this moment I could likely find somewhere to stay with relatives for a spell, that situation could of course change too.

As a workaholic you may struggle, I slipped quite readily into retirement mode after a period of guilty conscience for the first several months.

Enjoy your retirement, you have earned it. There are plenty of 'voluntary' avenues to pursue to occupy your energy.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jacko....I could return and stay with relatives as well,but that could all change, as you say.

The funny thing is, I mostly get up earlier now than when I did working!

Early to bed, early to rise and all that.......

Somewhat different if I have a night out in town though.

One important point for you... have you had any extended breaks in the last few years? I don't mean 2 week trip, but 3 - 6 months breaks where you plant yourself somehwere?

I've had a few 3 month breaks in the last few years. I could do a modest retirement right now, but my last 3 month break had me climbing the walls! (So I found a 1 year work contract and back at work right now.)

Jacko is right, it is about how you approach it. I will be planning my next go at retirement a little better...

SSS No the longest time I have ever spent in Pattaya is 3 weeks and in recent years,because of work constraints I only manage 4 day holidays from Sydney to Thailand.

Seems like you couldn't do the retirement thing easy then

My "plan" is to retire in 2020.

I have a house over the darkside....so no worries there. I "plan" to go out Early Jan, until Songkraen ! Go home to U.K. for a few months . "Hopefully"! the worst of the winter will be over and done with. I will then stay in the U.K. for a few months...........back to Thailand for August/September ish.............Then back to the U..K. for a month or two around Christmas time..then back in Jan etc etc

I have some "minor" health issues, bold pressure , cholesterol , asthma . These are all under control with medication.....they don't affect my life at all really.

Health insurance is a concern. It isn't cheap of course........Hence one of the reasons I will go back to the U.K. for about half the year, to keep up to date with medication etc. hospitals aren't cheap! in Thailand...............so everybody should factor this in,,,,,,,,,,,,, sure, you are probably fit and healthy now.............but nobody knows whats around the corner!

If you are a bit of a workaholic....it may be a bit of a problem.............though I should imagine you could find something to do! Personally, I work shifts, weekends bank holidays Christmas etc etc.............So I cant wait to retire!

I go to Thailand for 6 weeks every year now. I "like"! to go out every night............but I find I cant drink every night.............So when I go there in 2020.............I will simply go out 3 or 4 nights a week..........I can find plenty to keep me occupied in Patts....and indeed other parts of Thailand. I realise, when I go there , I wont be in "party/holiday" mode........but more? Relaxed happy and content every day!

When I first retired, I moved to Thailand for about a year after getting rid of most of my stuff and putting the rest in storage. After that, I decided it might be better to do six months in Thailand, six months in the USA. I did that for a few years and then came back to the USA for two years. Then I started the on and off to Thailand routine and that lasted a few years. For the last two years or so I've been dealing with a sick father who finally died a few months ago. After I straighten out that mess, I may well move back to Thailand. BUT, I may keep a house in the USA and just rent it out. It's easy enough to do that. Buy a house and turn it over to a real estate management company. They find and screen the tenants, keep the property maintained, etc. I suppose that type of arrangement would generate some income, after taxes and maintenance, and I would always have a place to return to live if and when I ever get tired of fooling around overseas. I would be somewhat hesitant to leave the country without keeping some real estate as a hedge against inflation.

I would tell you to continue - in a first time - to make a daily planning, as if you were still working.

I am not yet retired but live here in Pattaya. My week days usually look like :

- 6 : wake up, shower, breakfast

- 6:30 - 10 : sport (can be walking, running, swimming pool, Tony's, ...) + some occasional task (goto bank, immigration,...)

- 10 - 18 : work (thank you to Internet)

- 19 : food & get ready for the night

- 20+ : Pattaya Night Time :smile:

- midnight: shower + goto bed

You can then easily adapt your work time in function of your work need.