Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 253 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Rutnin Eye Hospital Bangkok Cataract Surgery

I had known for sometime I had a cataract in my right eye. This thread had gotten me thinking about it and it had become a bit more noticeable recently. I had a cataract repair for the left eye in 2000 so I knew what the procedure involves. Various reports here and elsewhere made me think I did not want it done at BHP, especially the thought they would even consider doing it without local anesthesia. That wasn't going to happen.

Instead, I made an appointment at Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok. Made the appointment with Dr. Roy Chumdermpadetsuk on the basis of a recommendation on Thai Visa that he had trained in the U.S. and was fluent in English. Otherwise, I probably would have made the appointment with the cutest female doctor.

They have a modern building. There is a snack bar in one corner of the first floor, but they aren't attempting to look like a hotel lobby or a shopping mall. No surprise they want to see your passport first time and then prep a patient ID card. The ID card has their address in Thai which helps with the taxi on subsequent visits.

There were several diagnostic tests, one of which was an HIV test. There didn't seem to be as much shining very bright lights in my eye as I remembered from 15 years ago. Dr. Roy said, yeah, you have a cataract and he could fix it. He didn't say anything about a multifocal replacement lens. I almost asked about it but decided that if he wasn't suggesting it, I, perhaps, shouldn't raise the issue. Without my asking, he said it would be with a local anesthetic. He offered the option of doing it in patient, but I didn't see any reason for that. He told me at that point, the cost would be 60 to 65 thousand baht.

So, last week, headed for Bangkok the day before and checked into the Royal President. Went to the hospital. While they wait until you are done and send you to the cashier for payment at the end for other visits, they wanted payment in advance for the big ticket item. They had a portable credit card machine and got my signature before I went to the prep area. Doing it out patient, I got to keep my pants on, which is a plus. They planted me in a reclining easy chair for quite a while. One benefit you would not get in farangland was that a matronly lady came by and provided a foot massage.

Nothing too extraordinary about the procedure. The shot for the local stung a bit, but nothing that bad. The staff had taped a shield over my left eye. With the right eye numb, that meant I really wan't seeing much of anything. I'm a bit claustrophobic and while I was nowhere near a panic attack, I wan't happy. I asked the nurses if they could take the shield off the left eye and of course the answer was no. When the doctor came back, I asked him and he said yes without hesitation. I knew he was working on me, but I had less sensation of what point he was at than I remember from the left eye surgery. I don't think moving the eyeball was even a possibility due to the anesthesia. BTW They had charged my credit card for 65,000 baht. Before I left, they gave me back 2,000+ plus in cash. No idea what was in play about the cost.

Of course, they taped a bandage and a shield over the right eye. Unlike the U.S., they didn't seem to have any great concerns about me going to the front door and catching a taxi back to the hotel. Other than dealing with the world with one eye, it wasn't an issue for me either. First time, I had ever had an evening meal at the Royal President as wondering down Soi 15 with no depth perception didn't seem like a great idea.

Went back the next day and had the bandage removed. Everything seemed to be in order. I stayed a third night as I had not been certain how I would feel. That was unnecessary. I could have handled the trip back without difficulty.

Went back yesterday, six days after the surgery. Things had come along nicely. He will want to see me again in a month, but that is hardly a surprise.

I will still need contacts or glasses to drive and I'm a bit happier with a contact in the left eye. However, I can function for most purposes with no removable corrective lenses. It's the first time I can say that in something more than 50 years.

I am reasonably hopeful of getting a significant share of the costs paid by my U.S. insurance. Getting the material for the claim scanned and the form prepared will be the next project.

Edited by nkped
  • Upvote 1

I have the impression from others' stories that Rutnin is the best for eye treatments. Good you made the extra effort and went to Bangkok rather than Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.

You might have saved some money too :P

Very good and useful report. Although it concerns me slightly that you were not consulted about the type of lens to be implanted.

Perhaps he went ahead with a single focus to match what you already had in the other eye?

Also you suggest you will need contacts or glasses for driving when I expected the lens would be gauged to give you perfect distant vision, and hence require reading glasses. That would seem better.

We did discuss which single focus lens to use. The two options he proposed was one to match the left eye and one a bit stronger. I went with the stronger lens. I can now read with the right eye alone, although not as comfortably as with the left eye alone. Of course, I read with both eyes. I can also watch TV without corrective lenses.

As to the reason I did not inquire about a multi-focus lens, Bangkok Hospital markets them hard. For that matter, so did a clinic I looked at back in the U.S. However, you do some research and it seems they can pose challenges. If he didn't propose the idea, I was thinking I might not want to start him down that path. Anyway, that was my reasoning.

I'm not certain I could not pass an eye test for a driver's license without corrective lenses, but I would not want to drive that way.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at an implant in my left eye, next time you visit could you ask how much as I've been quoted about $5000 US in HK...

Good outcome for you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The procedure itself using a single focus lens was a bit more than 62K baht. With exams and follow up, it still won't exceed USD2K. Depending on the doctor's schedule, you probably need to allow at least a couple of weeks from examination to the one week followup. I'm going back on Friday for a one month followup, which I'm sure is warranted but may not be quite as important.

I had a cataract removed 30 years ago, just wondering if just an implant would be any less. Should have said that before, my right eye has good vision. But it's got tired so need reading glasses now, cheers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

We did discuss which single focus lens to use. The two options he proposed was one to match the left eye and one a bit stronger. I went with the stronger lens. I can now read with the right eye alone, although not as comfortably as with the left eye alone. Of course, I read with both eyes. I can also watch TV without corrective lenses.

As to the reason I did not inquire about a multi-focus lens, Bangkok Hospital markets them hard. For that matter, so did a clinic I looked at back in the U.S. However, you do some research and it seems they can pose challenges. If he didn't propose the idea, I was thinking I might not want to start him down that path. Anyway, that was my reasoning.

I'm not certain I could not pass an eye test for a driver's license without corrective lenses, but I would not want to drive that way.

Apparently, multifocal lens implants aren't for everyone. Some people are good candidates, some aren't. Anyway, I had both eyes done last summer, here in the USA. One eye one month, the other eye the next. I had the single focal length lenses implanted. All went well, except that by December I had developed a retinal tear, so that needed surgery as well. Fortunately, Medicare covered everything and now all is well. It's nice not having to worry about contact lenses all the time. As for reading without glasses? I can, mostly, but sometimes reading glasses help with fine print.

So Dr. Roy Chumdermpadetsuk is a good one ?

My experience was good. I had seen him recommended elsewhere on the internet. I believe he had trained in the US. At any rate, his English is outstanding.

OP, how did the paperwork with your insurance work out ? difficult ?

Insurance was Blue Cross/Blue Shield from the US. It's standard one page form for overseas claims submitted on line along with the bill. No pre-approval was required. The key was the bill which stated what service was provided. This far on, I'm not sure if it was covered 100% or something less like 80%, definitely well over 50%.
  • 1 month later...

Lens implant costs at Rutnin Eye Hospital as of this month...

Multifocal lens, per eye... ~130 thousand baht. This price includes a toric lens to correct astigmatism.

"'. "'. "'. ''. '' ''. ''. ~ 105 thousand baht. This price is for a non toric lens...NO astigmatism.

Monofocal lens, per eye... ~95 thousand baht. Toric lens, astigmatism present.

. ". ". ''. ''. ''. ''. … ~ 75 thousand baht. Non toric, NO astigmatism.

These are approximate but very likely to be within ten thousand baht depending upon which lens you and the surgeon determine will provide you with an optimal result. Prices are all inclusive. Surgery is done on an out patient basis.

• Upvote 1

Had eye exam at Rutnin yesterday; doctor said five years ago he would not do a multi-focal lens but so much improvement lately that he did them for his father in law recently. The cost is more of course .I am told that BCBS will cover the portion of the multi focal lens up to what the cost of monofocal would have been.

I had an acceptable room at Asoke Residence on Sukhumvit which is actuall less than a five minute stroll from the clinic, practically directly across the street which has a 'crosswalk red/green' light for pedistrians.

I'm waiting till next year to get the operation, it was a long wait to see the doctor, the exam cost was 1860 baht.

Had eye exam at Rutnin yesterday; doctor said five years ago he would not do a multi-focal lens but so much improvement lately that he did them for his father in law recently. The cost is more of course .I am told that BCBS will cover the portion of the multi focal lens up to what the cost of monofocal would have been.

I had an acceptable room at Asoke Residence on Sukhumvit which is actuall less than a five minute stroll from the clinic, practically directly across the street which has a 'crosswalk red/green' light for pedistrians.

I'm waiting till next year to get the operation, it was a long wait to see the doctor, the exam cost was 1860 baht.

Jon.... Which doctor did you see? Yes, multifocals have a come a very long way in the past five years.

Jon.... Which doctor did you see? Yes, multifocals have a come a very long way in the past five years.

Dr. Sanpatna Rutnin , spoke very decent english. Even told me to not eat bamboo shoots because of my gout when he asked if I had any medical problems.

Just as an aside, the MRT and Airport Link are a five minute walk from the Clinic. You could take a bus to the airport and then the airport link to where it sort of meets the MRT, then walk five minutes and be at the clinic. I would advise not to go on a Monday as they were very busy, perhaps not so busy on a following weekday.

Edited by JONPAT
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your post, JONPAT. Would you please also post the type of exam you had specifically what the cost was. Also, did the doctor say what the cost would be for the"new and improved"multi focal lenses? If so how much.

I'm probably long past due for some serious eye work.